close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Seeking opinions

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by sailor, Feb 3, 2010.

1. sailor

sailor

I am planning to shoot Orlando next week but need to shoot on Sat and head back home around noon or soon after. Would it be feasible to shoot four categories in that time frame or should I limit myself to 2 or 3? I have a new G30sf that I want to shoot majorsub and sub-compact with and am trying to decide what other catergory (ies) to attempt. I really like my 34 and am leaning toward shooting competition with it and unlimited if I can squeeze it in. What do you more experienced shooters think?

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Since you are pressed for time, I suggest 3 categories.

3. sailor

sailor

That is what I am thinking. I can carry the 30 and shoot major and sub with it. Then change to another pistol for the final category, I just have to decide if the third will be competition,am civ or unlimited.

4. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

If you have to leave by noon... 3 would probably be the max, and even then you might be squeezing. I shot in 5 outdoor matches last year, usually got there early and was pretty close to being ready by the time the first shooters were starting. I usually shoot two divisions, and usually only just get finished by noon, if not 12:45 or so.

According to the rules, you're certainly allowed to shoot two divisions back-to-back:
    So... you "might" can shoot 3 back-to-back, but if someone has an issue with that, you'd have to wait a bit to shoot the 3rd? That's going to slow you down for sure.

I'd say four is definitely pushing it given your time limits, and 3 might be. And remember... you will not get a refund just because you didn't get to shoot one.

For me... rushing that much just might add to the stress level of knowing you have to be done by a certain time.

5. sailor

sailor

I really do not plan to shoot all 3 divisions at once. My plan is to shoot majorsub and subcompact with the 30. Take a little break and then shoot one more division. The noon deadline is not set in stone, I just have to be back home Sat night so I can meet some obligations at my church on Sunday.

6. mteagle1

mteagle1

Depending on the number of entries and whether or not they have more than 1 of each of the stages set up then 2 might be pushing it between sign up and noon.

7. Alderak

Alderak

However many you pick, you don't want to feel rushed. I'd err on the low side to make sure I was comfortable while shooting.

8. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i think 3 entrys would be reasonable to shoot and leave by noon, but you'd need to be first on all the sign up sheets. shouldn't be an issue shooting 3 back to back provided you have loded mags and are ready to go. it's quicker to let someone shoot 3 than to bring another shooter up and have a shooter step down just to come back after the 2nd shooter finishes.

9. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Be aware that you will NOT be allowed to shoot ahead of others "because you have to leave".

If GSSF allowed, that, it would have 200 people who suddenly "have to leave".

Your best bet is to get there really early and be one of the first to sign up on the stage sign up sheets once they are put out on the stages.

Under rule #120.20. If you "DNF"; that is start to shoot your stages but are unable to complete all three for any given division you are shooting, you will be "Nine-Ninety-Nined".

That is, a "time" of 99.99 will be entered for each un-shot string and a "miss" will be recorded for every unfired shot. This will drop you to the end of the match results for that division entry, but doing it that way you can at least see the scores you did shoot and are still eligible for the Random Awards.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  10. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

As far as categories go, make sure that you shoot Am. Civ. above all others, as that's an important category, then pick your others.

11. Glock2234

Glock2234

I would just stay home if I was pressed for time.

12. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

That's a little obnoxious, don't you think?

Others (including me) have said he should have no problem shooting 1 or 2 divisions in that time.... especially after he clarified he didn't have to leave "at noon", but sometime close to that. He'll just need to make sure he IS there early, and it's no problem.

No.... I wouldn't miss one of these "rare" events, I just wouldn't enter as many divisions as I might otherwise.

13. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

how long is a piece of string?

How long does it take?

sometimes there are 200 peopla at 9 o'clock.

3 is asking for problems.

if you think about a break remember there will

be lots of shooters when you start again.

14. Glock2234

Glock2234

Hey, the guy asked for opinions.

It seems he has a 1,000 mile round trip from Daphne, AL to Orlando. That is about 8 hours each way. He is concerned about making a church event on Sunday.

If he has something that important that he can't miss on Sunday, I wouldn't go at all. But then, that is my opinion.

Now, would you do that drive to shoot 1, 2 or 4 divisions? How many divisions are you going to shoot in Orlando?

15. njl

njl Crusty Member

Shooting that many categories and having to be out of there by noon seems like wishful thinking to me. You could get lucky, and if you get there at 9am manage to be done by 10 or 11...or if it's mobbed, you might not get to finish.

If you limit yourself to 2 categories, you can at least shoot them back to back when its your turn and not have to wait again to shoot the others.

16. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I'm not going to Orlando, so that point is moot. When I do shoot GSSF, I usually only shoot 2 divisions. As I said... I shot FIVE events last year, and was done before 1PM every single time.... and maybe twice by noon. I believe the CANTON, GA event had the most people last year (I could be wrong on this?), and I was through there by noon.

For an 8-hour (one way) drive, if he left at 2PM he would be home by 10PM... that's not late at all. Every little bit earlier he can leave gets him home earlier.

For the relative "scarcity" of these events... I wouldn't let that stop me from going.

17. armordude

armordude NRA Life Member

I shot 2 cats(Civ G23 + Comp G35) in Vegas. Signed up on each of the 3 stages first thing and then shot GTP first since it had the least people on it. I did not finish until 3 PM. There were over 170+ shooters, so depending on how many your noon punch out may not happen.

18. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

how many ROs show up, how experienced they are also make a difference.

19. Glock2234

Glock2234

You are about the same distance as he is from Orlando. Why aren't you going? Too far?

Maybe not so moot.

20. James5m

James5m

The Vegas match was short on RO's as you will soon here from DEL/FL and Pharaoh who were there.