close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Seeking Interest Input on "Book"...

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by Stephen A. Camp, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Stephen A. Camp

Stephen A. Camp Deceased

Hello.

As you might know, I frequently do "range reports" on this site and others for various handguns. Most folks seem to like them and I find them a bit of work, but also fun.

The problem is that I buy the ammo for the tests.

To try and off-set these costs, I've finished what was initially going to be a little thing on the Browning Hi Power. Got started and it became a monster, but appears to be completed now with the exception of more proof-reading and perhaps, a little more editing.

Right now, it's 49 pages (1-side and 8 1/2 x 11) with 35 color pictures.

It's called "The Shooter's Guide to the Browning Hi Power" and that's precisely what it is, a treatise on the Hi Power from a user's point of view based on 30 years of shooting the darned things frequently .... as in at least once a week. Topics include:

Preface

A brief history of the pistol's development

General Specifications & Characteristics

"Today's Hi Powers vs. Yesterday's"

Mk II Hi Power

Mk III Hi Power

Other Models based on the Mk III

FN Competition

Ammunition Observations and the Browning Hi Power
    (This includeds general purpose ammo, and high performance ammunition, both standard and high pressure. It also gets into "stopping power" a bit.)

Final Thoughts on Defensive Ammo for the Hi Power

Chronography Results for 9mm and .40 fired from Hi Powers

Forged vs. Cast Frames

The Custom Hi Power, which includes recommended modifications that have worked well for me as well as others that did not. There's quite a bit of discussion concerning what we "need" vs what we "want" and how to get what we need. Fixed vs. adjustable sights are discussed.

A lengthy FAQ section with detailed replies.

Recommended spare parts

Cleaning and complete disassembly

Magazines to buy...or not and their upkeep

Springs, buffers, and what not

...and so forth

Right now, there are 35 pictures to illustrate the work and help the reader "see" what I'm saying.

Cost will be around $25, MAYBE a little less if I can work things right. I'm trying for all color pictures, but that's looking like it may be impossible and keep the cost down so pictures would be black and white except for the cover picture.

What I need to know is if anyone's interested so that I can gauge what I need to do next. If you are, please email me at s.camp9@charter.net

Thanks in advance either way.

Best.

2. Guest

inbound email

3. Stephen A. Camp

Stephen A. Camp Deceased

Hello. Well, after much calculating, pricing, research, and E-conversations with folks who printed manuals and books, it does look like it's going to happen.

Covers with a color picture on a light gray are being printed. To go with a commercial printer required a book a bit shorter than I really needed and to do color using an inkjet printer would kick the price way up too high.

In short, I bought a laser printer, but will use the inkjet for color pictures as I'm determined to have at least some in there.

Couldn't find any binding that I really thought looked as nice as I wanted so the wife and I began looking into that, too.

We'll be doing it ourselves and I think buyers will be pleased.

I cannot accept anymore suggestions for topics as I'm going to try and get this thing started toward the latter part of next week.
    I am adding several sections to the thing as some topics really were essential.

Hard Ball and others, thanks for the tips. I have already begun to save receipts for tax purposes. Initially, this thing is pretty expensive, but if I can turn out a nice product with real information that's not so common in the gun magazines, I think I can make this thing work. We'll see.

I will say this: It is extremely labor-intensive when writing more than a few pages.

Best.