Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, all.

I am considering a 29 to carry while backpacking/camping as I occasionally am in areas where black bears are known to inhabit. I have no desire to draw my sidearm, but, if need be, I'd like to have something with punch. I prefer the 29 to the 20 due to its compact size, and, if I feel the need for a larger grip or greater capacity, I can add extensions to the 29 magazines, or use 20 magazines.

Are there any particular brands/loads that offer ballistics I need from a short barrel? I believe it is feasible to use a longer barrel on the 29, but I've no desire to pursue that route.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
Aaron

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Aaron. Pick the least expensive defensive cartridge among the major manufacturers that runs 100% in your gun. Poor Yogi bear will never know the difference. Good luck.
LOL! Thanks much, powernoodle! My knowledge of 10mm ballistics is lacking, to say the very least. I wanted to make sure I didn't need to seek out a specific brand or load. I doubt the 29 will be fired often, so the hard cast from Buffalo Bore were at the top of my list.

Thanks much again!
Aaron

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I carry a G29 in the sticks. I carry my own load of a 200gr WFNGC bullet, loaded to 1200fps from my stock barrel. I have shot most of the boutique brands like Underwood and Buffalo Bore and the only thing I would caution is my 10mm Glocks seem to struggle with any lead loads above 200gr. Shooting the various 220gr and 230gr flat nose offerings I ran into stabilization issues quite frequently.

So my advice is if you select Underwood or Buffalo Bore, I would stick with the 200gr lead flat nose offerings. Also, get enough to do reasonable feed testing with those flat nose bullets. I haven't had an issue, but every gun is a little different in the hands of a given user.

PS - Another good option is one of the above manufacturers offerings using a 180gr or 200gr XTP bullet. It has limited expansion and makes a wound channel very similar to a 200gr WFNGC (hence, penetrates very similarly) and may actually feed a little better than a wide flat nose lead bullet. Maybe keep that in your back pocket if the lead offerings jam at all.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for the direction, WeeWilly! Again, my knowledge of 10mm is sorely limited, but Underwood and Buffalo Bore are two names I am familiar with. The 200gr offering seems to be my best choice, at the moment, but a 180gr XTP sounds like a good option.

Thanks again!
Aaron

·
Registered
687 Posts
WeeWilly - I keep hearing don't use lead bullets in a Glock barrel. But then I read about so many folks having zero issues - some clean regularly, some don't. Anyway, can you or someone else suggest a resource to learn about the different kinds of heavy lead bullets? It seems there are different shapes and manufacturing processes (e.g. hard cast?). I've been a regular shooter now for about 2-3 years, kinda getting a late start in life. I understand FMJ, JHP, the Penetrator, etc., but this bare lead thing is somewhat foreign to me.

PS - having a G20 and a new G29 for hiking, I'm primarily interest in 10.

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
11,973 Posts
LOL! Thanks much, powernoodle! My knowledge of 10mm ballistics is lacking, to say the very least. I wanted to make sure I didn't need to seek out a specific brand or load. I doubt the 29 will be fired often, so the hard cast from Buffalo Bore were at the top of my list.

Thanks much again!
Aaron
Buffalo Bore is a very good choice in my opinion

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
WeeWilly - I keep hearing don't use lead bullets in a Glock barrel. But then I read about so many folks having zero issues - some clean regularly, some don't. Anyway, can you or someone else suggest a resource to learn about the different kinds of heavy lead bullets? It seems there are different shapes and manufacturing processes (e.g. hard cast?). I've been a regular shooter now for about 2-3 years, kinda getting a late start in life. I understand FMJ, JHP, the Penetrator, etc., but this bare lead thing is somewhat foreign to me.

PS - having a G20 and a new G29 for hiking, I'm primarily interest in 10.
I think he touched on the stabilization or lack thereof on some of the heavier loads.

Some of the heavier loads are known to tumble and not stabilize. I would take his advice as your starting point, then go from there.

Your doing the smart thing in seeking some advice on this matter.

·
Secret Squirrel
254 Posts
When hiking in the woods I carry Underwood 200gr hardcast in my G29. This happens several times every year where I am in or near bear territory. Sometimes I am out there alone for a few days.

I use the stock barrel. I have a longer KKM barrel but it does not feed as reliably as the stock barrel so its a range toy. I've shot a couple boxes of the Underwood 200gr hard cast in my bone stock G29 Gen 4 to ensure it will run and had no issue. It cycled perfectly had had great penetration. I tried the 220gr and had feeding issues so sticking with the 200 which feeds great and better velocity.

I think the 200gr XTP would be almost if not just as good but I feel more prepared with the hardcast. I've encountered bears on the trail and normally conflict can be avoided by a prepared and astute hiker. However if a bear or any other critter scratches its way into my tent at 3AM I want to be ready.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts