close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Security Officers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by md2lgyk, Aug 18, 2012.

1. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

To supplement my retirement income and have something useful to do, I've been looking into a part-time job as an armed security officer, transport deputy, or something similar. I am retired military and a former LEO, so the qualifications for such jobs aren't an issue.

I have been offered a job by one of the large security companies, but it is as an UNarmed officer in a very large outlet mall - no firearm, no baton, no OC, no personal CCW, not so much as a folding knife. Just a radio and a cell phone.

I don't mean to disparage anybody who has such a job, but "unarmed security" to me seems an oxymoron. To me, it's just Customer Service in a fancy uniform. Comments??

2. JBnTX

JBnTX

Observe and report will be your primary function.
    You don't need a firearm for that.

3. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

In my experience I don't trust jobs like that. From what I've seen they tend to want you to take some action, but never back you up, and you have nothing to back you up.

4. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

OP,

I would pass on the unarmed security. No way in hell would I wear any kind of uniform in today's world without being armed. I work an off duty side job doing security myself to help pay some bills, so I'm not trying to put anyone down here.

If you must do security, and I would urge you to find something else to do to pass the time, but if you must, please make sure it is an armed position.

You may thank me later.

Good luck on the job hunt!

Oh and BTW, all I'm looking forward to is retiring and getting to sit home and get paid for it, and you are retired and wanting to go to work.

What gives?!?!

:tongueout:

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

Presuming you are honorably retired and have current certification or at least fairly substantial previous law enforcement experience my guess is that you can find a job that would be both a bit more fulfilling and better paying than that at the mall.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  6. sheriff733

I couldn't agree more.

What about something like working courtroom security? I'm sure the sheriff probably handles that, but it sounds like you would be more than qualified.

Sweet hours, weekends and holidays off. Hard to beat that as a part time gig.

7. ray9898

ray9898

No hospitals close by? They normally pay decent and LE experience is always a plus.

8. mixflip

mixflip

With your credentials you could easily work as an armed security guard at a court house, state or federal bldg and get paid much better money for the same amount of work and its a bit more respectable than a mall. Plus you have all the back up you need.

I saw an opening for an armed federal security guard position at a military air base once (Pinkerton Government Security Contract) and thought if I were to ever do security work (with my LEO background) that would probably be where I'd go vs any mall with no gun!

Check out www.policelink.com for police & security jobs.

9. Detectorist

Detectorist

In your case I would certainly find an armed position. On the other hand, I used to have a friend who retired and thought that doing that job in the local upscale mall was pure heaven.

10. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Thanks to all for the replies. I'm glad to see that so many others agree with me. I especially agree with the one about being unarmed and in a uniform. When I moved to WV 13 years ago I looked into LE positions, but WV does not accept any other state's certification, so I would've had to go through their academy at my own expense. Not an option, so I looked at Sheriff's Reserves. No go there - reserves are by law not allowed to be armed, yet they wear the same uniform as a deputy and drive the same cars. Insane.

11. sheriff733

Absolutely ludicrous.

I can't imagine them having a very successful reserve program. Insane.

12. blackjack

blackjack

Getting on with the government contractor providing security at military bases, usually on the gates, is about the best-paying security gig short of the high-speed/low-drag/Blackwater gigs. In Oklahoma City at Tinker AFB, the starting pay several years ago was in the $16-18/hr range while the usual armed security positions topped out around $10/hr unless it was a LEO off-duty gig at a bank.

13. jpa

jpa CLM

US Protect had the contract for Nellis AFB last I heard and they pay right around $20/hr. Find out who has the contract in your area.

You also might be able to get on with the US Marshals as a Court Security Officer. Apparently it's a pretty popular gig for retired LV Metro PD here.

14. 4516

4516 On the Beach

Friend of mine does CCW Messenger work for jewelry stores. Depending on the store he wears a suit or baseball cap, polo type shirt, jeans and NIKES. Usually he goes by himself unless the item is over $1.000.000.

One time he went to a mall to pick up something. Got out of his car and put on his suit jacket. Guess they picked him up on the security cameras. Anyway he was 20 minutes early before the store opened, so he sat down in a rest area near the store.

Soon a Mall Cop showed up and asked if he was an employee of a store. He pointed to the store and asked , why do you want to know?.

The M.C. said his boss saw your gun in the parking lot and sent me to inquire your intentions.

My friend said, guess your Boss doesn't like you much. The M.C. says why do you say that? My friend said, your boss knows I am armed and he sends you unarmed to ask what I'm doing. Chew on that one for awhile.

15. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

I worked security for MANY years. the first few were Armed. Then i had one unarmed gig. talk about feeling neutered. I will never work unarmed security again 17 pissed off teens vs 2 unarmed officers.........was not fun.

16. happy seal

happy seal

Maybee working for a P.I.

I can't see getting paid minimum wage or slightly more armed or unarmed to take the responsibility for someone or their millions = doesn't seem fair to me! :faint:

17. sheriff733

Screw that. I'd just walk off at that point.

If they don't care enough to let you be armed, I wouldn't care enough to hang around and deal with that mess.

Homeless camping in a bathroom is one thing. But that's a whole 'nother.

18. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Its a way to make a few bucks. (and be looked down on by many) Fact is the Police can not be on site at all times. So a group is hired who will stay on site. (but with limited authority in some areas)

One thing to consider. I worked security to pay my way thru college. (I went for solo positions at night, limite access) Basically do rounds, study half hr, do rounds, study...(never set times, sometimes I did rounds back to back) The only requirements is I do rounds every hr. (and not sleep) In a locked complex.

The other ones were more (fun) Some armed, others not. Just because rules were "No weapons, even pocket knife" did not mean it was law. Concealed is concealed. I actually liked it better that way. Less stupid questions. Less chance of gun grab attempt. AND I still had it if I needed.

19. Ftttu

Ftttu

Our county hospital went from security officers to something similar. Instead of a patrol type uniform, they wear a coat and tie. I had a prisoner in custody once and I asked one to watch him so I could go to the bathroom. He said he wasn't allowed to. OP, I can only imagine this would be a similar level job as those semi-security officers now employed in our hospital.

20. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

No Gecko 45 recommendations? :whistling: