close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Security Guard Badge

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by KenBGlock19, Feb 28, 2010.

1. KenBGlock19

KenBGlock19 SEMPER PARATUS

As an LEO, what are you opinons on Security Officers carrying badges on- and off-duty? I'm fully aware of the "rent-a-cop" stuff, but what is your professional opinion? Just curious. When I was interviewing (while unemployed) months ago for security jobs as a last-ditch effort, I noticed that a lot of them had them.

Do they aid in IDing during a situation or something?

2. sargespd

sargespd

I would think that most security companies, or companies that have in house security, would seriously frown on their employees IDing themselves in an off the clock situation. There is no "authority" involved on the part of the security person when not working. 25 years ago, I was a seasonal security officer at a large amusement park. We were specifically prohibited from taking our badges home. There was one employee who did so, and made the mistake of using a dash mounted red flashing light in his car to stop someone he felt had committed a traffic violation. He ended up criminally charged with impersonating a police officer. Unless I find a better gig real soon, I will be working at the same park this summer, again as a seasonal employee, but this time as a Park Police officer. Still, this is a "private police" position, much like private security. We have full arrest and enforcement authority on the premises, but none at all off grounds. Park police officers are not permitted to take the issued pistols home. I am fortunate that I also have an unpaid, auxiliary police position that keeps me armed and badged the rest of the time.

3. Jene

Jene Millennium Member

Personally... when I'm working, that badge would carry no weight if the guard tried to 'badge' me..... it would only serve to further the perception of "wanna-be" status. I realize that everyone with a job serves a purpose, but security gaurds have neither the training or the vetting process that police go thru.... so leave the badge at work.

4. KenBGlock19

Totally off subject, but what was the process to become an Aux Officer? I would be interested in doing that here in CT. I have a full-time job in aviation, but would love to give back to the community.

Thanks.

5. CBennett

CBennett

on duty it may be part of a uniform and I can understand/handle that..but off duty...thats being a wanna be..it means NOTHING off duty and the only reason I could see to carry one off duty was so someone may THINK your a cop because they see a badge...because to anyone with a badge they know better..so carrying one off duty=LAME. I mean whats the reason...

6. KenBGlock19

Agreed. Just didn't know if they were actually serving a purpose off-duty for these guys.

7. banger

banger

The question of "off duty" Security Badges made me laugh.

I was a cop for 30 years. In all that time I NEVER carried an "off duty" badge, My credentials yes, badge no.

The only benefit I ever saw,was when the "young ones" would "tin" themselves into a bar with a cover charge. A BAD idea B.T.W. because they became the bars bouncers for the price of admission, (maybe $5.00, if that). At the same time they accepted all of the liability that come with that.

8. Straight Pipe

Straight Pipe

A security badge (uniform) has absolutly NO AUTHORITY away from the assigned duty post. Unless you (as a security gaurd) plan on *spending your off time only being on the property that you are assigned* to there would be no reason what so ever to carry a security badge.

*The only time you would have any authority would be if you were actually on duty, so the point would be moot.

9. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Here's the real deal. I wear mine on a neck chain. Awesome for directing traffic during auto accidents.

[​IMG]

10. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

The whole idea of carrying a badge that means nothing off duty seems foolish to me. Are their some type of state standards particular to your area that requires it?

11. KenBGlock19

:rofl:

12. KenBGlock19

Not that I'm aware of.

13. Nest

Nest

Some states require security guards to wear badges on the job. Luckily some jobs have found ways around it in some areas. I work for Loomis and we get away with a sewn on patch that just says Loomis on it, kinda like the name tapes on military uniforms. Some people in other areas who work for Loomis have to carry badges. All depends on the local laws. Off the job it's as worthless as on the job in my opinion. A security officer is just a civillian given the authority by the property owner to enforce the rules of the property owner. Their only arresting powers are a citizens arrest. So the badge is just a way to identify them as someone who was given authority over the property and nothing else.

14. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

It would seem rather foolish, then. In my agency badges are only if we're armed on duty off of the property. Other than that we use our credentials only.

15. Pepper45

Pepper45

On duty, I can understand it. It adds to the image of authority that they need to present on the private property that they're guarding. If it's done tastefully, and without the "wannabe" flavor, then they're fine. Anyone carrying a security badge off duty = complete tool.

16. Morris

Morris CLM

Sad part is, I ran into one of those the other day on my way to work, wearing it around his neck on a chain. When he yelled at me for not moving my car (as I was getting out to check for injuries), I calmly showed him my badge and suggested he put his away before someone caps him.

They are out there.

As to the OP question, show me a security company that allows or authorizes the off duty carry of a badge and I'll show you a company with little or no business insurance.

17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I had a guy try to pull his security creds and badge out on a t-stop and try to ask me for professional courtesy. So, I said really slowly and loudly, "PLEASE, SIR! Sign here and press hard, you're making 3 copies."

How's that for being professional and extending courtesy?

I see a lot of private tools at certain venues wearing neck chains or badges clipped on their belts and acting like they own the joint. Most of the time I leave them be, they're just insecure, I guess. When they try to throw their weight around (and some of they are pretty hefty in weight), I tell them they better recognize the limits of their job and not go into uncharted territory where they aren't supposed to tread. Most of them get it as soon as you turn on your command presence.

18. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

I do carry my badge off duty for 2 reasons.

1. It's required per LEOSA now.. if I want to carry my weapon off duty, it's required per federal law to have a badge and credentials

2. In the absolutely unfortunate scenario that I have to become involved in some sort of police action off duty (something major, life threat, I'm not about to go intervening in some stupid petty theft) I'd like to be able to dangle my badge after all is said and done to help identify me as a good guy when the other good guys show up.

19. sargespd

sargespd

I agree with FiremanMike. For 23 years now I have always carried my badge with my creds, and most of the time these days I have a badge on my belt just ahead of my IWB holster. In the event that I am required to take some sort of action off duty, I want as much immediate identification as possible. Both for making sure that if I have to testify that I properly identified myself, and for when the uniforms show up on scene. Also, with the badge in front of the holster, if my concealed pistol becomes unfortunately unconcealed, anyone who sees the gun should see the badge as well. Hasn't happened yet, but never say never.

20. merlynusn

merlynusn

Badge isn't required under LEOSA, just creds.

I do agree with #2 though.