Security bars for doors.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Turtle13, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Turtle13

Turtle13 Ni!

Anyone have any suggestions as to where and what one to buy? I'm looking at getting one for the back and front doors so they're a little more secure at night. I've looked at a lot of them but I have no experience with them so I don't know the pros and cons.

2. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

It's probably time to move.

3. trifecta

trifecta

If it's for a residence, make sure they still open easily from the inside. It would suck to die in a fire.

4. Turtle13

Turtle13 Ni!

Most of us here own guns for defense. Does that mean it's time to move? Maybe we should just let criminals run us to the corners of Alaska. They can have the rest of the US right? I've seen enough happen here in Flint and read enough things happening as "isolated incidents" to know that these are security measures I'll take for the rest of my life regardless of where I live.

Thanks for a useless response.

I swear to God it's a wonder I even post my own threads. Actually it's a wonder I'm even still on this website. There's only a handful of people here that are actually insightful, the rest post responses like yours.

5. Turtle13

Turtle13 Ni!

Yes, it's for a residence. I've never used one so I don't know how they're released.

6. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Northern Tool, or pretty much any hardware store should have them.

I would look into something like door jamb armor before I bought a security bar.

7. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

another option is installing the steel plates on the door and door frame (with long screws) so kicking the door open isnt going to happen or not very well anyway. this wont impede emergency escape from a fire, requires no additional securing for the night on your part.....the next step after reshoring the door is an alarm system.

8. Turtle13

Turtle13 Ni!

Already have an alarm system and a dog. With the grace period involved with the alarm when a zone is broken (about 45 seconds) I trust the dog way more than the alarm. She's alerted me to company in the driveway long before I even knew they were there.

9. Turtle13

Turtle13 Ni!

Door jamb armor looks pretty good. I was actually looking for something like that about a year ago and no one in stores knew of anything like it.

10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

How much land does your house sit on (your buffer zone)?

Is there anything specific in the building codes for your municipality about these bars?

11. Turtle13

Turtle13 Ni!

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. My amount of buffer has nothing to do with my doors and I could care less if a building code said I couldn't secure my family.

12. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I'm a security consultant. No need to get snippety sir. In addition, being from Jamaica, "security bars" are the rule there.

Maybe some other time I'll post how we had to redesign ours when baddies used a piece of wood outside to pry ours off when I was a kid, and got in the house, and we repelled that attack.

Goodbye. Your attitude...not pretty.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  13. trifecta

trifecta

What is the world coming to when the guy from NY is the courteous one?

14. Turtle13

Turtle13 Ni!

You posted in thread about drug dealers and tax fraud that I should BUY drugs from the drug dealer and document etc, which would most assuredly lead to my own imprisonment. I ignored that. Maybe you could possibly understand why I would expect another useless comment from you.

I was simply being honest, not snippety. I have no clue what those questions you asked would have to do with a security bar. Maybe you're not thinking of the same implement I am. The type that wedge up underneath your doorknob and brace against the floor on the interior.

15. Turtle13

Turtle13 Ni!

I don't really see what was so offensive about

There's obviously some sort of miscommunication or misunderstanding.

THIS is the security bar I'm talking about.
    [​IMG]

Maybe you could see how I'd be confused as to why NYCs questions apply.

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

He actually has a good point. Some HOA's, etc.. don't allow these doors. That said, I agree with you... I don't care if I lived in the safest area in the city, I'd have security doors.

Home Depot typically sells them and they aren't *to* expensive. The ones I bought, did not come w/ locks, so that was an extra expense. Get good, strong locks obviously, or the door is useless. I think I paid about $180 per door, then got a "set" of locks for $50. I don't know how handy you are, but they required quite a bit of fitting to get in properly. I'm honestly not sure I could have done it myself, my Dad was a great help to me.

Some may see that as expensive, but it was worth it.

Edit: Woops.. I was under the impression you wanted security doors...

IGF

17. Turtle13

Turtle13 Ni!

I live in Flint, Mi. Anyone who knows what that means will laugh at the above boldfaced text. :rofl:

18. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

This is what I thought you were talking about.
    [​IMG]

Personally, we went with the 4 dogs and multiple guns option instead. The dogs hear people walking around outside and it seems they never sleep since they have woken us up in the middle of the night. If someone does get in they will have to get by 4 large dogs, then all the guns, and then the swords hanging on the walls.

19. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Guess I'll just stay in the dark then...

Good luck

20. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

You guys were talking about 2 different things. He is talking about the type I posted above and you are talking about a bar on the inside of the house.