close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Security and the wireless network

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wayne02, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Wayne02

Wayne02

The wireless network in our house uses a netgear WGR614 router. A couple months ago we had a week long power outage and the wireless network seems to have lost what little "security" it had somehow.

When my wife uses her work laptop here it has an alarm message about an "unsecured" network, proceed at your own discretion type message.

1. How do I tell "who" is using my network at any given time, is there some software I can use for this I assume?

2. How do I "secure" this network as much as reasonably possible?

Thanks

2. Round Pounder

Round Pounder

The best thing to do really is to try to ensure that no one can use your network that souldn't be (see below answer). But my WiFi router does have a management web interface that lists "active users" by MAC address. Not sure if yours has that but I've posted a link below for you.

Navigate here and see if you can figure out which version you have (I think they said a sticker on the bottom will tell you):
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wgr614.asp

Then navigate to the page for your version. There's a section titled "Security" with several more links.

Honestly, the easiest thing for you to do might be to run the "Easy Setup" (or whatever they called it) CD that came with it. Those usually walk you through setting up your machine.

Generally speaking, you want to turn off SSID broadcast (this is what makes it simple for people to detect in-range networks). You want to enable MAC filtering (locking down to only machines that you own). And you want to enable sime kind of encryption, preferably WPA. I think you setup wizard will cover all of this but if not, the links should guide you.