GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
If your house has glass windows then the garage door isn't your weak point.
With attached garage that is the preferred point of entry for break ins. To passerbys, an open garage door does not get a second glance, even things going in or out of that door appears normal. The garage provides cover and muffles any noise while the idiots work on the connecting door to your home, so that is why LE recommend that you keep that door locked as well.

For matters of both security and fire safety, that man door from garage to the house should be a 1 hour rated fire door assembly which would include the door jamb. If it is not, you should upgrade that for the above reasons.

Broken glass shouts idiot broke into the house, and it makes a distinctive sound that everyone recognizes instantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
LiftMaster WLED garage opener. Same one I have. It still locks your garage door with the side lock automatically. Has a battery for backup, WiFi can be used, etc... Worth the cost.

·
Premium Member
24,806 Posts
A garage door opener is WONDERFUL. The old toggle type are no more. I used to look up at friends, memorize switch positions. (Most were first couple one way, rest the other)
So I set spare of mine and played with them. They close door, it opens after closing part way. “Must be something crossing light beam”...
I bought a ring indoor camera. I think I will pay $30 a yr to keep recordings. And add doorbell, likely another camera for back of house....

·
NRA Life Member
4,777 Posts
I just have a lifesize photo of Chuck Norris from Invasion USA in my garage....works great

·
1,969 Posts
I forgot to mention that if someone did get into my home while we were not there Roxy, the killer Havanese, would chew them up to their knees. Unless, of course, they had a treat to give her.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I bought a ring indoor camera. I think I will pay $30 a yr to keep recordings. And add doorbell, likely another camera for back of house....
I have the Ring system and I like it. It just needs a bit of work to get it set up properly. I have an oak tree by the side of the house, and therefore all the animals around the tree and the wind and every thing else sets off the motion alarm. I've turned off the alarm for that camera, but I can still review the old videos.

The annual fee is worth it.

·
Premium Member
24,806 Posts
I have the Ring system and I like it. It just needs a bit of work to get it set up properly. I have an oak tree by the side of the house, and therefore all the animals around the tree and the wind and every thing else sets off the motion alarm. I've turned off the alarm for that camera, but I can still review the old videos.

The annual fee is worth it.
I’m seriously considering multiple cameras. In both states. I just need to figure how to delete (in mass) all the old alerts.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I would like to thank everyone to responding to my post! Between work and home I've been quite busy and my access to GT has been spotty.

A few people have commented on security. As a GT member, I understand that a locked door will only keep out an honest person. I'm trying to keep the kids or opportunists out. I've seen too many local videos of people walking around in the middle of the night that are checking for unlocked car doors.

I do have some cameras. I want more, but it is slow because I have to deal with power and wifi issues. (I'd prefer a hard connected system but then I'd want professional installation and that is a bit out of my price range.)

I am planing on replacing the hollow core door. Honestly, I'm thinking of replacing a lot of doors at our house. Interior and exterior. But, it is slow because I don't want to use my credit card.

Here is another question. Our garage has two doors, not just one big one. What should I consider when I'm looking at buying the garage door opener? I don't want them both on the same signal, and I would like an option on the remote to open door 1 and door 2. (Sometimes my projects spread out into one of the parking spaces by "accident.")

Reactions: GeoJelly

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,739 Posts
PREFACE.... I moved to Montana from SoCal. In California... if you really want to protect your vehicles, home and shop.... you stayed up all night sitting in a chair with your Glock.... with one in the chamber.... and the pistol in your hand.

Locks, doors and security systems mean very little there and I was paranoid about security... having lived from 1962 to 2010 in Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino and Los Angeles Counties during that time period

My current garage door is an old school Sears chain drive electronical.... and may have tubes, nixies and a Hi-Z flyback in it.

For securing the emergency opener, I just shortened the door opener linkage/arm to let it go overcenter.... in that it travels further than necessary to force the door closed. These old door units could be adjusted to run beyond the closed position..... all the way to "overkill".

You can pull my release handle all you want .... but you actually also then have to physically push the sliding latch about 5 inches until it gets to move normally the rest of the way before the door can be opened.

I don't believe my wife can open it in an emergency as it's not only tricky but it also requires some strength to get it to move at all..... but neither can a thief just by using a hook.... it's not going to work like they think it should. .

My radio receiver has a DENY OPTION that won't respond to any signal... right or wrong... although I never use it.

I also have two mandoors that came from an old RV camp trailer that at 20 inches are too small for any of my welders, rolling tool boxes, table saws, drill presses, compressor, ATVs or bigger gear to exit. Everything has to go in or out through the roll up door.... IF it can be opened that is.

There are 4 motion detectors with huge 360 degree LED floodlights that turn all sides of my shop into an arc welding-bright white 6500° K lighted arena.

When the place is lit, it's like an operating room.... and my nearest neighbor can see the studs in his walls

The lights are mounted on poles 25 feet in the air.... the wiring is self-bury cable .... and the shop is a standalone unit in case of fire or explosion.

That way I can't destroy the house too if something goes sideways.... like lacquer thinner and welding sparks....and wood dust/shavings that can glow for hours before the kaboom.

All the above.... but most days and nights, I leave it open. It's a Montana thing.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Do yourself a favor and go with a chain driven, DC motor unit. Superbly reliable and extremely quite...you wont regret the extra $100/150, well worth it. Linear ranks amongst the best. I installed the LCDO800 last year at my house and am very pleased.
https://www.linearproaccess.com/garage-door-openers/residential-garage-door-openers/
View attachment 709640 View attachment 709652

I like the concept of quiet.

Dumb, quick question. Why choose "chain driven" instead of "belt driven." I don't understand why one would be better than the other. I mean, I can guess...

41 - 55 of 55 Posts