GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Rolling codes, and you can still place a simple slide lock in there for when your asleep at night, my dogs would let me know if sombody was trying to get in ours, and they would be greeted by a barrage of 00 buck once they got it open.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I am not familiar with your lock latches, so I don't understand why they must be removed to facilitate the door moving up and down freely. I always retained the latches and I've installed at least 10 openers for family and friends. You can pin the mechanism with a screw if you don't want it to engage inadvertently.
I've also recommended to my friends and family that the rope be removed. But they must know how to disengage it without the rope in case the opener is not working.
When programming any additional remotes, such as your car's integrated opener button, be certain the neighbor is not actuating their garage door while you are doing it. Their remote could get programmed to your door.
The emergency release rope is what some thieves have targeted to bypass the opener and pop the door. It is pretty easy to do, but I don’t know how common that style of attack is. You can remove the rope and replace it with 2 spring steel key rings, 1 small (attached to the release mechanism) and 1 large attached to the small ring. Then fashion a metal hook on a 4’ wooden dowel about 1” diameter, and hang that near the overhead door. I prefer a bent rod, a little more than 90 degrees. That pole and hook are now your release lever/to grab the ring and pull.

An alternative is to wire the outlet for your opener to a switch, and turn it off when you are gone for an extended period (or overnight if you like). That helps to prevent accidental door openings from stray radio signals or other triggers. I use a pilot switch that glows red when it is on, as an added indicator.

I use both of these for the overhead doors at my woodworking shop. I have had issues with random stray signals popping the doors there, and that could potentially be very catastrophic to me financially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gladorn

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
My wife wants us to get a garage door opener. This is because she is short and not very mechanically inclined. (Turn the handle the other way!) I like the idea because now I don't have to juggle a bunch of keys and go outside in the cold and rain in order to warm her car up in the morning.

But I'm worried about security. I'd have to remove the latches on the garage door in order for it to move up and down freely. Also I'm worried that someone could open the garage door with just a generic remote. While we have a locked door between the garage and the house, it is hollow core which I need to replace when I get additional funds. (No unnecessary credit card purchases, we are on track for getting everything paid off!)

Please educate me on garage door security while using a garage door opener. I've heard a lot but it's not quite making sense.
That hollow core door should be a solid, 1 hour rated door for reasons of security and fire safety of your home and family.

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
Modern Garage door openers are pretty secure but thieves use the safety devices to override the door such as the safety cord. Just pin the safety cord so the “coat hanger” tricks don’t work. Have an “outside “ door with a real door lock between the main house and the garage area. Place a simple DIY alarm on the door or add a motion detector to the garage area. It can be secure as the rest of your house and just as secured as if you didn’t have remote opener.

·
Descent Terminated
33,347 Posts
I know of only one garage door break-in, and it was human failure; My daughter bought a house in a sketchy neighborhood, but close to work.

The owners handed over two garage openers. She should have had me change the codes, but didn't.

There was a 3rd opener, in the hands of a relative of the sellers ...

They went prowling in the house while she was at work.

Neighbor called cops who got there before anything was taken, but the prowlers had fled.

After that, she had me change the rolling code on her openers. ... :supergrin:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Any time that a new opener is installed or replaced, the owner should take a moment and change the codes on the opener and all remotes. Overhead door openers from Stanley, and several others, were notorious for coming from the factory all with the same code. I have seen idiots/thieves, on more than one occasion, driving the alleys with multiple remotes pushing the buttons looking for opportunities.

You can ask the installer to do it, but unless you are standing there to watch it happen, I would NOT rely on it being done.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I have a Ryobi garage door opener that's pretty great. Super quiet, powerful, and is has an app so you can check at any time if it's open, have it alert you if it opens during any hours you don't want, let's you enable vacation mode so it's locked down and you have to turn it off for any of the remotes to work. Also has a bunch of accessory ports that you can plug different modules into. They have a motion sensing camera you can add, I have the bluetooth speaker, rollup extension cord, and a fan, uses one of my spare ryobi tool batteries as a battery backup and always keeps it charged, there are parking laser sensors. Overall a pretty sweet setup.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-U...ith-Battery-Backup-Capability-GD201/303810513

·
Super Moderator
2,150 Posts
Between my homes I have seven doors, all with openers. Never had a security issue.

One time I was programing my car button and hit the rolling code as my neighbor pulled into his garage. You guessed it. Every time either of us hit the button both garages operated. Took a few minutes to correct it but it was funny.

Speaking of security, never program in your home address into your GPS. If someone has your car for a couple hours (valet/mechanic) or steals your car they can get into your garage.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
“So”, this topic caught my attention.

After being in my new house for about a year and half, the opener stopped working. I contemplated putting a new GDO in but actually decided against it for the sole fact of somebody driving by playing the odds w a remote. I’m not into all the hi tech stuff but really made me wonder with the way technology keeps advancing and how the bad guys are using it to their advantage, why tempt fate, main reason I went hard wired for my cameras over wifi.

I’m still in good enough health that I just manually open and close my garage door and throw the latch. Peace of mind and no scanner or reader can open my door now, they’re just gonna have to drive thru the damn thing or cut a hole thru the door where the latch is, but maybe I added a pad lock somewhere on the track to outsmart the would be crook who thought he was smarter lol

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The emergency release rope is what some thieves have targeted to bypass the opener and pop the door. It is pretty easy to do, but I don’t know how common that style of attack is. You can remove the rope and replace it with 2 spring steel key rings, 1 small (attached to the release mechanism) and 1 large attached to the small ring. Then fashion a metal hook on a 4’ wooden dowel about 1” diameter, and hang that near the overhead door. I prefer a bent rod, a little more than 90 degrees. That pole and hook are now your release lever/to grab the ring and pull.
Depending on the design of the door, a strip of metal can be used to block the gap between the top of the door and the frame, preventing a burglar using a hook to catch the release rope.

This usually works on tiliting doors where the whole door is one piece.

I showed my neighbour the hooking the release rope trick after he had locked himself out and was ready to break a window (I then had to hacksaw through a pad bolt that the previous owner had added for extra security, but we got in with no broken glass or other damage).

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
There’s many things with which you can block the roller track if you think that’s necessary. On mine, I can slip a simple Carabiner clip into one of the track slots.

But I have so much crap in the garage, I’m nearly wishing for someone to take some of it away. Both garaged vehicles are alarmed, so little concern there.

Reactions: Gladorn and byf43

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Depending on the design of the door, a strip of metal can be used to block the gap between the top of the door and the frame, preventing a burglar using a hook to catch the release rope.

This usually works on tiliting doors where the whole door is one piece.

I showed my neighbour the hooking the release rope trick after he had locked himself out and was ready to break a window (I then had to hacksaw through a pad bolt that the previous owner had added for extra security, but we got in with no broken glass or other damage).
Hooking the release rope is shown because there is enough give/slop with the way that sectional doors are designed to operate. It is the opener ‘truck’, as it is called, that pushes that top section of door against the door frame and weatherstrip when the door is closed.

I am attaching a couple of pictures of what I did at my commercial woodworking shop to help fortify it. These are by no means my only security measures, but a couple of several that I have installed. Because that shop sits in an industrial setting it has been targeted several times for attempted break ins. Fortunately the idiots have not gained access since while it was under construction. The power to those openers, and I have 2, is also turned off when I am not there.

My buddy, who installs/repairs overhead doors professionally, has told me that a significant part of his business is repairing/replacing damaged OH doors that the owners have used something to block the door tracks to lock their doors and then forget to remove that bolt,etc. and then hit the door opener.

·
NRA Life Member
14,381 Posts
Between my homes I have seven doors, all with openers. Never had a security issue.

One time I was programing my car button and hit the rolling code as my neighbor pulled into his garage. You guessed it. Every time either of us hit the button both garages operated. Took a few minutes to correct it but it was funny.

Speaking of security, never program in your home address into your GPS. If someone has your car for a couple hours (valet/mechanic) or steals your car they can get into your garage.
Do you keep your registration in your car?

·
Descent Terminated
33,347 Posts
I’m still in good enough health that I just manually open and close my garage door and throw the latch. Peace of mind and no scanner or reader can open my door now, they’re just gonna have to drive thru the damn thing or cut a hole thru the door where the latch is, but maybe I added a pad lock somewhere on the track to outsmart the would be crook who thought he was smarter lol
You need a fake keypad outside ... really drive 'em crazy ... :supergrin:

·
NRA Benefactor Life Member
3,355 Posts

·
King Doofus.
5,725 Posts
About ten years ago we had a rash of thefts in our neighborhood, the scumbags were using a wire to hook the safety release as shown above. These were no kids out for a thrill either, one of my neighbors lost his Harley Ultra. Luckily, I had already removed my pull rope and zip tied the release because there were signs on my door gasket/trim where they tried to open mine.

·
Registered
24,974 Posts
I put a sheet metal screw on the slide lock on my door -

I doubt I would ever use it - and opening the door with it locked would be a big mistake.

NFW I would ever go through what some of you are doing -

I bet we use the garage door 100x for every 1 time we go out the front door.

Even when someone rings the doorbell I go out through the garage / open the garage door..

21 - 40 of 55 Posts