Securing your Garage Door

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gladorn, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Gladorn

Gladorn

My wife wants us to get a garage door opener. This is because she is short and not very mechanically inclined. (Turn the handle the other way!) I like the idea because now I don't have to juggle a bunch of keys and go outside in the cold and rain in order to warm her car up in the morning.

But I'm worried about security. I'd have to remove the latches on the garage door in order for it to move up and down freely. Also I'm worried that someone could open the garage door with just a generic remote. While we have a locked door between the garage and the house, it is hollow core which I need to replace when I get additional funds. (No unnecessary credit card purchases, we are on track for getting everything paid off!)

Please educate me on garage door security while using a garage door opener. I've heard a lot but it's not quite making sense.

2. Dave514

Dave514

Rolling codes make them much more secure these days. And when the mechanism is pressuring the door shut it's just about as secure as with the side latches. Moving the auto release cord to where it's not so easily accessible by a knowledgeable burglar would be my only consideration.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKs4J-Vqyb8

Willard, Gladorn, larry_minn and 10 others like this.

3. El Pistolero

El Pistolero bene vivere Silver Member

7,850 ft up in the New Mexico Rocky Mountains
    My garage door has an electric door opener and no exterior locking mechanism. As a extra security measure I insert a travel trailer hitch pin in the holes of the rails to secure my garage door at night and when I leave the house, I exit via the front door and set the alarm.

Willard, tuica, mj9mm and 8 others like this.
  4. BillKilgore

BillKilgore

Most modern garage door openers use a rolling code that makes it much more difficult for somebody to open the door by pressing a generic opener. Most garage doors also have deadbolts that latch the door to the frame so it cannot be opened by anybody from the outside.

I would not worry about security. If you live in a less than desirable area, your wife can get in her car in the garage, lock the doors, start the car, then open the garage door.

Willard, Gladorn and mj9mm like this.
  5. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

wally1, Willard, G26-Has-my-6 and 8 others like this.
  6. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

I am not familiar with your lock latches, so I don't understand why they must be removed to facilitate the door moving up and down freely. I always retained the latches and I've installed at least 10 openers for family and friends. You can pin the mechanism with a screw if you don't want it to engage inadvertently.
    I've also recommended to my friends and family that the rope be removed. But they must know how to disengage it without the rope in case the opener is not working.
    When programming any additional remotes, such as your car's integrated opener button, be certain the neighbor is not actuating their garage door while you are doing it. Their remote could get programmed to your door.

byf43 and FullClip like this.
  7. nerr

nerr

This. ^^

Or if leaving for a long time, close garage door, go back inside by different door and unplug the opener.

Also, many garage door openers have ability to use wireless. While this gives some limited exposure to being hacked eventually, you can set up email alerts when it opens or closes as well as actually check if door is open/closed or open/close the door with the app.

Chamberlain garage doors have lots of neat built in features like battery backup, smart camera built in. My kid got me a retro-fit kit for my old 20+ year old opener that is somewhat easy to set up and works great.

link: https://www.chamberlain.com/

Gladorn, byf43, Rotn1 and 5 others like this.
  8. GeoJelly

GeoJelly

Sir - I see you live in Virginia. Please just get a GDO and help out both you and your wife. Amazon sells cameras - for about $35 - that you can install & monitor your garage 24/7 (if you have Wi-Fi). If someone does open your garage door, and then break into your house, well … this is GlockTalk; you know what to do. I think you are putting you and your wife at much greater risk by not having the protection of your locked car when the garage door is opened. What we do, just a thought, is get into the car and lock it, then open the GDO, then start the car. Should some miscreant then attempt to assault us, we have a 3000 pound weapon under our control to perhaps park on top of him!

9. superseal

superseal

10or45 and GeoJelly like this.
  10. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

My Chaimberlain uses the MyQ ap on my phone. I get an alert every time the garage opens and closes. I can also open/close from my phone.
    B6B274D2-7D7D-44F3-B29A-1E7E04F40DEE.png

cbetts1, byf43, Sfaql and 1 other person like this.
  11. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

A lot of good advice here. Some guy was on Shark Tank selling a Garage Door security locking mechanism. I don’t remember all the particulars. I will see if I can find it.

12. Gl0ckw0rk1983

Gl0ckw0rk1983

This is what I do... at night there is also a way to lock thr rf transmittor function which I do as well. Hold a button for 3 seconds and even if you leave your car outside the rmote will not work.

13. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I have an app that can open or close my garage door anyplace the internet is available. In addition, it sends a notice to my phone anytime the door is opened or closed. I feel pretty secure but still unplug the garage door opener and bolt the door shut if we are going to be gone for an extended time.

14. BBMW

BBMW

Don't know if I want a WiFi enabled garage door opener. How hackable are they?

15. Gregoire G

Gregoire G

Same with mine. On mine it's called vacation mode and it won't open with any remote, even my own, until you hold the button down and get it back into normal mode.

16. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

At the 18 sec mark, "We're not going to show you how to break in" by the 52 sec mark, they're showing you how to break in!:rofl:

17. porschedog

porschedog

I can turn off the power to my garage door opener (via a simple on/off switch and power socket that accepts the drive’s 110v power cord) and I can throw the bolts that lock the door in the frame of the opening rails. Thusly secured, It will not open. Period.

18. Kentak

Kentak

As stated, you really don't need to worry about security. The door cannot be opened against the drive mechanism. And, the modern code systems are pretty secure.

Gladorn likes this.
  19. kiole

kiole

Typically very secure. Definitely more secure then your wood doors and glass windows.

20. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I don’t think garage doors are all that secure. Pretty sure I could work a 2x4 under mine and raise it enough to enter. I could probably run into it hard enough that it would crumple. That being said, my garage door is probably more secure than several of my windows and the sliding door to the back patio.