close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Securing files on a flash drive?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Cali-Glock, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I carry key files on a flash drive so I can access them (and modify them) on my home pc, my work pc, my laptop, church pc, or elsewhere.

I was concerned about some of the files which are sensitive and which I would not want to fall into a crooks hands but kept putting off looking into encrypting certain files. I missplaced one of my flash drives a couple of weeks ago which made it clear to me that I can't postpone figuring out how to secure/encrypt some of those files. (The missing flash drive turned up in the dryer after a couple of weeks - we guess it ended up in the bottom of a laundry basket.)

I figure I will put the sensitive files in a single folder and then hopefuly encrypt or secure that one folder. Generally I don't think I want to have to mess with passwords each time I access the flash drive. (Especially since I use the flash drive also for music & other mp3 files in my car.)

Any suggestions?!

2. Kastivich01

Kastivich01

I use AxCrypt for sensitive files. It is freeware. Some people are going to say that it is not good because someone could, theoretically, screw with the program since it is open source. Don’t know about that. It has worked for me.

You need to have administrator privileges to use it. If you don’t have that on one of the computers you are using this probably wont be the product for you.

3. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

AxCrypt's excellent for individual files. I also use TrueCrypt to encrypt my entire jump drive. It has the added benefit of being able to run in Traveler Mode (meaning it can be fully installed on the jump drive, so you can decrypt and mount the file from any computer). It also has a Linux version that will allow you to access your encrypted files.

Joey

4. malkore

malkore

SanDisk makes a biometric flash drive that won't allow access to files unless your fingerprint swipe matches what's been stored.

As for your current drive, I swear I saw a Windows update for XP that added some cryptography to flash memory.

Since its free its worth checking.

5. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

512 Meg Biometric flash drive $46.99

1 Gig Biometric flash drive $68.99 :shocked: Not much of a premium at all for the biometric flash drives! I just picked up a regular 1 Gig SanDisk for $55 (plus a $18 rebate).

[​IMG]

6. malkore

malkore

yep, the Cruzer. that be the one.

couple guys at work have the 512meg ones.

it can store many profiles, and be used to log different people into Windows 2k/XP as well. its not just a file storage device, it a biometric logon device too.