Securing 26' Tandem Wheel Boat Trailer

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MulletLoad, Jan 18, 2017.

1. MulletLoad

MulletLoad

Looking for input on securing a boat trailer from those here with knowledge and experience in protecting against the disreputable acts of a segment of society. :supergrin:

My chain link fence gate would last 15 seconds and all the onerous regulations against wiring the trailer with 12,000 volts of AC as well as well placed C4 charges have put a damper on my security needs.

Suggestions? I've looked online, but the tire boot locks would last 30 seconds as they drive off after removing one tire on one side, and even one on each side if removing two boots.

Thanks!
    ML

2. Current Resident

Current Resident

How about a lock that fits into the hitch socket.

ThunderTrumped likes this.

3. Bruce M

Bruce M

It would probably be a pain time wise, but I would bet that removing all four wheels would slow them down a bit.

vikingsoftpaw and pgg00 like this.
  4. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

This helps. Just another layer of security. No single device will prevent a theft but enough deterrents or "layers" will maybe make them give up or at least slow them down enough until police respond.

5. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

Does your trailer have electric brakes? How about a hidden emergency brake pin wired to a 12 volt battery. Anchor it to something where it pulls the pin if the trailer is pulled away. It would take a while to figure out what happened and find the emergency brake and/or battery.

pgg00 likes this.
  6. pgg00

pgg00

I like the other suggestions. Also if it is going to be parked for a while then pull all 4 tires and have it on blocks. This keeps the tires from rotting out as quickly as well from sitting. If you want to keep them on and your rim slots are wide enough get heavy duty chain and padlocks and loops them through each rim to the neighboring rim. It'll lock up all 4 tires if they try to drive away

PEC-Memphis and Sniffler like this.
  7. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member New Member USCCA

To your existing "layers" of security try adding the wheel chains suggested above. Use grade 120 chain, and a lock that is bolt cutter proof. Your local locksmith probably has such a lock, and grade 120 chain cannot be cut with anything but a torch. By making it very difficult to make a quick get away, you might deter a casual thief.

LEO/Dad likes this.
  8. Charley C

Charley C

A "pin lock" applied to the hitch-ball receiver is a good thing, but by it's self I wouldn't rely too heavily on it for protection. Depending on how long it will be "sitting", if it's a really bad location, I would jack it up and place blocks under the frame, then remove one lug bolt from each wheel and replace it with a special "one of a kind" lug bolt that MUST have a special "one of a kind" socket to remove it.

A word of caution; DO NOT lose that "special, one of a kind" socket! (They're a ***** to replace!) I delivered new cars and trucks to new car dealers in all 48 states and much of Canada for the last 25 years that I worked; many car dealer use these "one of a kind" lug bolts, usually one on each wheel. There's no getting the things off, short of dynamite! (And that's prohibitively "noisy"!)

9. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

There's not a lot you can do to secure a trailer, that a handheld grinder can't undo in a moment or two.

I have four trailered items at the house - best thing I've done is to make it more difficult for thieves, via hitch locks and the like. But, if a thief wants it, they'll get it. As I said, a battery powered grinder will make short work of ANY lock...hell, it'll take the thief longer to hook up and roll out with your trailer, than it will to cut the lock.

10. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Nice thing about a double axle trailer...a big bicycle U-lock should fit between both wheels...one on each side. Paint 'em day-glo orange or green so the thieves see it before they try to hitch up.

11. ede

ede

I've got a couple enclosed trailers. Might be over kill but I use a coupler lock then a lock on the latch. The latch won't close with the couple lock in place but it's something else to defeat. I have a boot on a wheel. On the duel axel trailer I use steel cable wand lock to lock two wheels together. Then a steel cable to lock trailer around a tree and to a shed. I park them so the tongue is not in a position to back up to and hook up and go. I also take the plate off the trailer and had vinyl decal made and put on plate holder that reads "IF PLATE MISSING TRAILER STOLEN " it's not very big and you'd have to be close to read it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  12. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Kryptonite cable (or gorilla or whomever)

Route it through the frame, and out both tires on one side, and put the biggest padlock you can buy on it.

I use an S&G 831

13. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Do you have a major lake in your community? We have one in Missouri, and with all the lake homes and condos', you see boat trailers sitting everywhere because boats stay in boat houses on the lake. Many are tandems because this lake has large boats. If you have something like this, I would take a ride and see what others are doing.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  14. ThunderTrumped

ThunderTrumped

put an alligator in the boat

15. ThunderTrumped

ThunderTrumped

take the tongue assembly off. pita but just another way

16. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Have Bruno hook you up with a security system.

Wyoming and pgg00 like this.
  17. Z71bill

Z71bill

Put a sign on it -

For sale - engine doesn't run - hull leaks

Wait -
    Is this just the trailer? No boat?

18. kiole

kiole

If you only use it on your truck. Move the wiring around in the trailer connectors for the trailer brakes so a normally wired truck will provide 12volts to the brakes constantly.

Also run a chain through all tires and also lock the tongue up. Also throw a GPS locator on it.

More importantly get insurnace for the thing.

19. PBCounty

PBCounty

Is there a valuable boat on this trailer? You could start by tightly bollarding it in on three sides, either with existing trees or by burying bollards. Then you only have one side to worry about - and there are options for that.

20. Glock45Lover

Glock45Lover

Check out the item @ about 36 seconds in.