close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Secure wireless network causing problems with Outlook

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Burrito, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Burrito

Burrito

I just used the Linksys Easy Connect program from the Linksys homepage to set up a security-enabled wireless network. I now can no longer send or receive email on my Outlook email account. It seems like some settings were changed during the process. Any ideas on what needs to happen so I can use my Outlook email again?

2. pyblood

pyblood

I'm wondering of Linksys blocked or closed some ports on your router. It didn’t install any software on your PC did it?

3. Burrito

Burrito

I don't think so. I just ran the Easy Connect program on the linksys website. You're thinking it closed some ports? How would I fix this?

4. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

First verify that your mail setting are correct then temporarily remove the router and see if the problem goes away. If you can connect without the router reset it and then manually configure the security. I’ve setup quite a few routers and have never had an issue like you are describing. Can you access your mail from another computer?

5. Burrito

Burrito

I will try the things you said.

I can access my mail from computers that I did not set up on the secured wireless network. The computers that I used a flash drive to configure the same settings for my wirelss network do not work.

6. Sgt. Schultz

??? I'm not sure what you mean by that but you only need to configure the router from one computer ... one time.

You can manually configure your router in a few minutes; you need to log in to your router using your Web browser. Follow this link for the basics of what you need to do ... http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...873380&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

I’d suggest that you use WPA2 Personal ... Choose TKIP+AES and enter your passphrase in the field labeled WPA Shared Key. The phrase can consist of any combination of letters and numbers, the longer the better. Save your changes, and the router setup is done.

7. Burrito

Burrito

I mean that I used the flash drive to automatically set up the other computers on my network. That way I don't have to manually change the settings buy typing in the router settings.

In other words, all of the computers have the same network settings now. That is why only the 3 computers on my network won't allow me to send recieve mail on Outlook.

8. Sgt. Schultz

To what settings are you referring? You don’t have to change any settings on the other computers if you are using TCP/IP and each machine is set to “obtain an IP address automatically“ which is the best/easiest option. You should be able to configure the router from one of the hard wired computers and then connect with all of the others …. after rebooting them.

9. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

I'm pretty sure Linksys lets you copy a configuration file to other computers with settings like: what the router's name is, WPA passphrases, etc.

10. Sgt. Schultz

All he needs to do is click the wifi icon in the bottom right corner, browse for available networks, select his and type in the pass phrase ... it can't get any easier.