Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://dailycaller.com/2011/02/05/agent-who-protects-nancy-reagan-shoots-self-in-hip/

VENTURA, Calif. (AP) — A Secret Service agent assigned to protect Nancy Reagan is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the hip at a sheriff’s department shooting range.

Ventura County sheriff’s spokesman Capt. Mike Aranda says the gun went off as the agent was putting it back in its holster Friday at the range in Camarillo. The agent was hospitalized with a non-life-threatening injury to his hip. His name was not released.

I suspect he forgot his SIG pistol was cocked and tried to holster it.

And a .357 Sig round in the hip will ruin your day!

Deaf

·
Hunc tu caveto
1,663 Posts
I suspect he forgot his SIG pistol was cocked and tried to holster it.
With his Finger on the Trigger! A Bozo No-No. A tough way to learn a lesson.

I tell folks that there is absolutely no reason to re-holster quickly.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And that is why I always insist students decock their weapon, even if it isn't cocked, before holstering. That way it's an ingrained habit to always decock.

In reality you do that when you re-holster a 1911. You kick the saftey on, right? Even if you don't fire a shot. Same with DA/SA weapons. Always decock them, even if they arn't cocked.

Deaf

·
Massive Member
25,504 Posts
And that is why I always insist students decock their weapon, even if it isn't cocked, before holstering. That way it's an ingrained habit to always decock.

In reality you do that when you re-holster a 1911. You kick the saftey on, right? Even if you don't fire a shot. Same with DA/SA weapons. Always decock them, even if they arn't cocked.

Deaf
Seems like a simple choice. You can decock the weapon, or run the risk the weapon may decock you. :dunno:

Randy

·
Premium Member
28,686 Posts
With his Finger on the Trigger! A Bozo No-No. A tough way to learn a lesson.

I tell folks that there is absolutely no reason to re-holster quickly.

We don't know that for sure. I have a couple of fleece light jackets that have a drawstring + ball at the side.

Once, I almost holstered my gun exactly on that drawstring, as I was taught to holster without looking at the weapon or holster. Fortunately I felt the extra resistance, and corrected what would have been an epic story on GT.

'Drew

·
Glock talker
948 Posts
I have a couple of fleece light jackets that have a drawstring + ball at the side. Once, I almost holstered my gun exactly on that drawstring, as I was taught to holster without looking at the weapon or holster. Fortunately I felt the extra resistance, and corrected what would have been an epic story on GT.
I would be castrating those jackets with a quickness!

·
Premium Member
28,686 Posts
I would be castrating those jackets with a quickness!

I make sure now that the ones I buy have the drawstring on my support side, not the holster side.

I once saw a NYPD officer re-holster at our range on his undershirt. :wow: That was probably one of the few times I was ever grateful for a 8 1/2lb trigger pull on a service weapon.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well his hip sure is Dawg! But they say it was not 'life threating' so I bet he just grazed his hide.

Strange thing is they now say the use either the SIG 229 in .357 Sig or the FN Five-Seven in 5.7x28. I dunno if that second gun is really used or not for protection agents.

Deaf

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good point about the draw strings. I recall Mas Ayoob strongly advised in one of his books to "cut out" drawstrings on any jacket . He emphasized, not to tighten them or tie them up, but to remove them.
Seems a shame to do it to the jacket, but I won't want to learn the hard way.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good point about the draw strings. I recall Mas Ayoob strongly advised in one of his books to "cut out" drawstrings on any jacket . He emphasized, not to tighten them or tie them up, but to remove them.
Seems a shame to do it to the jacket, but I won't want to learn the hard way.
I've heard a MD in IDPA who is a long time competitor mention the same thing. Also to remove tabs on holster side of any vest i.e. 5.11 vest. He mentioned an AD or almost AD caused by tab on a vest.

I remember reading an account form Mas Ayoob of a police officer having an AD into hip/leg from a string on jacket.

I try not to get jackets with strings or cut them off if I'm going to wear the jacket and carry. Also cut the tab of my 5.11 vest I use for IDPA.

·
Massive Member
25,504 Posts
Does the Secret Service take lateral transfers from the DEA? :whistling:

Maybe only the most professional DEA guys?

Randy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts