Second Shingrex Vaccination

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OV1kenobi, Aug 21, 2019.

1. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

that's great news! I'm due for my second shot next week. The day after my first shot I felt like I had a 1 ton bag on my chest. I slept all day. Looking forward to that second shot now.

I saw the chances of experiencing side effects are 1 in 6.

Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg

TBO likes this.
  2. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf

The wife and I get our second tomorrow, No problems with the first one. Born before the polio vaccine neighbor kid died from polio, high school friend was in a wheelchair because of polio. You bet I get every vaccine out there.

WeeWilly, JohnnyE and OGW like this.

3. Blanton

Blanton

I usually mention this on all vaccine threads but I recommend my patients begin an NSAID like Aleve, Motrin, etc 2 days before getting any vaccination, continue for a few days after. Most side effects are caused by a cascade of cytokines from the injection that can be blocked to a large degree by the NASAIDS.

4. OGW

OGW SAF

This. Both Shingrix shots, Hep A, Hep B, both pneumonia vaccinations, Tdap, and a froo shot every single year. I don't have enough years left to spend a day sick if I don't have to.

TBO and Tone Deaf like this.
  5. OGW

OGW SAF

Interesting. I had some soreness from both Shingrix shots, lasted a few days, but wasn't brutal as some posters have described. I take 7.5 mg of meloxicam daily for arthritis. I get the strong dose of the flu vaccine because I'm over 65 and that's what the nurse at my local health department recommends. I have minor soreness from that. I haven't had a reaction to a shot since BCT but every single one of us got sick that day.

6. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I got my second shingles shot early last month and it didn't hurt as bad as the first one. I had shingles about ten years ago (on my face) about ten years ago and it was bad. And then last year I started having symptoms again and the doctors at the VA gave me something to alleviate it but then recommended that I get the shots which weren't available until earlier this year.

I'm glad I got them.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    TBO, WeeWilly and Caver 60 like this.
  7. WVSurveyor

WVSurveyor

First one most definitely makes for a sore shoulder. Second one not near as bad. A small price to pay as compared to a case of shingles.

TBO likes this.
  8. Wishoot

Wishoot

My second shot is worse than the first. Feels like I was hit there by Mike Tyson. Just got it two days ago.

WeeWilly and Caver 60 like this.
  9. WVSurveyor

WVSurveyor

Well, I should have said for me the second one wasn't near as bad. My first one felt like your second. It'll get better Wishoot.

10. OGW

OGW SAF

I'd pay a grand for the shot and tolerate a sore arm for months to avoid shingles. My mother got it when she was around 80 and still had nerve pain three years later.

TBO and WeeWilly like this.
  11. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

Every time a shingles thread resurfaces I think about a veteran and retired deputy sheriff friend who had a case of shingles that was so bad that he actually considered suicide. I cannot imagine the agony he suffered to get to that point. He toughed it out.

Anyone who knows him who may have had even a shadow of a doubt about getting the shingles vaccine got the vaccine right away, short term discomfort be damned.

TBO, WeeWilly and OGW like this.
  12. VA27

VA27

Had chicken pox as a kid and an outbreak of shingles in my 20's. A few years back an old friend got shingles and DIED from complications! You bet I got the shots!

JohnnyE and OGW like this.
  13. Little Joe

Little Joe

I completed the Shingrix vacs a month ago. I must have lucked out. No shoulder soreness with either and no side effects.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  14. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

I remember getting the chickenpox vaccine in grade school. We also got a sugar cube with something in it, I thought it was TB but maybe something else?

15. racer11

racer11

First shot no big deal,,,second shot last week making the arm a little sore. But the next day every joint in my body ached and I felt tired and listless for about 24 hours

16. Beendare

Beendare Stick and String, SME, NRA life member

Thanks for this^

I got the one dose shot a couple years ago before the 2 dose came out. I suppose I'm going to have to get the 2 dose now....<sarcastic> Great

Caver 60 likes this.
  17. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

I got the sugar cube treatment as a kid in the 1960's, and it was the oral polio vaccine.

Caver 60 likes this.
  18. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

No mark on me, either. They even tried it twice. Turns out I’m immune to the vaccine.

19. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

I got the polio shot when it first came out in the mid 50’s. Then I got the sugar cube thing in the 60’s.

Caver 60, JohnnyE and WeeWilly like this.
  20. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

My wife got shingles a long time ago now. It started on her scalp line and came down toward her eye across her forehead. The doc was quite concerned as it can lead to blindness if it gets into the eye. She got some heavy doses of an antiviral and it cleared it up, but it was extremely uncomfortable. It never returned, thankfully.

Caver 60, JohnnyE and OGW like this.