Second Shingrex Vaccination

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OV1kenobi, Aug 21, 2019.

1. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

The forearm thing was the TB test.
    The smallpox vaccination left the scar on the upper arm, near the shoulder.

'Ol Grandad likes this.
  2. phonejack

phonejack

Wife and I got our second shot about a month ago. I hurt for 3 days, wife for a week. She also had a raised lump that lasted for 4 days. Still, worth it.

3. reniram

reniram

I thought you could only get shingles if you had chicken pox in the past. Seems like the vaccine wouldn't do any good. Probably better to get vaccinated against chicken pox.

4. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Probably too early for doctor humor.

I haven't had chicken pox, my doctors just don't believe me. I believe they think I was either asymptomatic or had such a mild case as not to be noticed, but believe I have the shingles virus in me just waiting to pop out, so they want to give me the vaccine (I already had the first version, likely will be getting the newer two shot version soon).

5. reniram

reniram

So shingles can recur?

6. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

There are some after affects related to the Shingrex vaccine(s). I got dizzy after my second one. My neighbor's both got slight flu symptoms.

As for the sore shoulder after any shot, exercise the muscles - stretch them out. Many times the serum will lodge in one place - moving the muscles will dissipate it and the sore feeling will fade.

Shingles is not pleasant. I have a friend who had it behind his eye! Funny, but I don't remember anyone having shingles years ago. People tell me I'm wrong - must be.

7. RPK Clone

RPK Clone

I got my 2 shots.
    The second was much worse than the first. Both hurt for about 4 days but I felt crappy overall with the 2nd shot.
    Still worth it as my mom is going through a bout of the shingles now. I feel bad for her.

hannstv likes this.
  8. Dynactus

Dynactus

Sounds pretty bad to get Shingles over and over. Where, on your body, do your Shingles recur, drumgod?

9. drumgod

drumgod

Yup. I've had it pop up maybe 8-10 times in 30 or so years.

It pops up in pretty close to the same spot every time; right temple in a quarter to half dollar sized area. It's close to my eye so I have to be careful. I'm fairly "lucky" in that I don't have large outbreaks or get too much of the nerve pain often associated with it. It itches like you wouldn't believe though. It feels similar to poison ivy mixed with wind-burn. I use a prescription ointment and keep it covered most of the time. If it's bad or doesn't seem to be abating I can go get an oral medication (IIRC it's the same stuff they prescribe for a herpes simplex outbreak) that will knock it back quicker. Apparently I'm a somewhat atypical case in that my first outbreak was in my early 20s and it has returned several times.

10. OGW

OGW SAF

Info from the nurse I got the Shingrix vaccines from is that the single shot (Zoster, I believe) is only about 40% effective, while the Shingrix series is over 90%.

bdcochran, WeeWilly and RPK Clone like this.
  11. Caver 60

Caver 60

There's a test to see if you've ever had chicken pox. Both my parents are dead and I couldn't remember. So I had the test. Turns out I did have chicken pox. I don't know if you having had the one shot will affect the test results or not?

WeeWilly likes this.
  12. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    I've been on the waiting list at several local pharmacies since last November. They tell me they see some every few months. I'm in Arizona for a couple weeks so I check around here.

13. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Both shots resulted in my experiencing of every side effect listed.

Happy times, hope you fair better.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

14. hannstv

hannstv

I felt like crap for a few days after the second shot. Both shots seem to leave the injection site sore longer than I had ever had.

RPK Clone likes this.
  15. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

So you had to get sick so you wouldn't get sick?

TBO likes this.
  16. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Amen to that...Shingles is a beast...I'll take sore arms any day

WeeWilly likes this.
  17. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

My wife and I just received our 2nd Shringrex vaccine. My wife had no side effects other than a very sore arm. This is the first vaccine I have ever had that I had side effects from. For about 24 hours it felt like I had the flu. My temp got up to over 100 the first time and up to 102 the second time. I wasn't expecting that but it cleared up as fast as it started.

My pharmacists informed us that this is only good for about 5 years. I had the older Shingles vaccine several years ago and had no side effects at all other than a sore arm.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Caver 60 and TBO like this.
  18. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Thanks, I will definitely ask as if I can avoid the next gen shots, that would be nice.

Caver 60 likes this.
  19. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

I was vaccinated for small pox twice. Neither one of them took. Doc said I was immune to the vaccine, and probably small pox. So far, he’s right. 69 years and no pox.

Got my second shingles shot a couple of months ago. No side effects. No pain.

Caver 60 likes this.
  20. Wishoot

Wishoot

Bringing up this post again as a friendly PSA to get your shingles vaccination.

I received my second one earlier this week. The bruise is deep and it's still pretty painful. None the less, still less painful than the Shingles.

Ironically (and sadly), a friend of mine was diagnosed with shingles the same day I received my second shot. She thought it was kidney stones.

Little Joe and Lonestar 48 like this.