close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Second hard drive

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Robert Mitchell, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Robert Mitchell

Robert Mitchell

I've just installed a Western Digital 160 GB as a second internal drive. I've got the cables and jumpers hooked up per the instructions (original hard drive is the master, the new hard drive is the slave). When I fire up the computer, all I get is a steady glowing light for the master hard drive. No other activity on my monitor screen. What could be causing this?

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Check your plugs on the cables.Could just be loose.What are the jumpers on BOTH drives set to?And make sure you didn't knock the video card loose.

3. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

Also check the documentation for your new HD. Normally, you would set the jumpers on the primary drive to "master" and the secondary drive to "slave", but I have seen some drives that want to be on "Cable Select". Also, for some ODD reason, some motherboards want BOTH drives to be Cable select. When in doubt, check the documentation, even if you have to look it up on the web.

4. aspartz

aspartz

The drive light staying on is a symptom of two possibilities:
    1) Both drives are set to master
    2) the second drive does not actually have a power connection.

Cable select is a much maligned thing. Most of the problems are ancient history involving old 40 conductor cables and drive drive placement on them. In the modern world with 80 conductor 66/100 cables it seems to me to work fine. The only remaining problem is that BOTH drives must be set to CS or the system can still get befuddled.

In your case, check all of the cables, including power.

ARS