Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Massive Member
26,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't someone post a video of a crazy guy videotaping a LEO while driving next to him, screaming at him about not wearing his seat belt?

Wasn't that in Michigan? West of Detroit, or downriver? That's close enough to be in my neck of the woods for a parade, visiting family our something.

Might have run into him today. Manning a barricade blocking a street for Memorial day parade, some guy walking by tells me "better remind your people to wear their seat belts" in that weird quiet but very angry, tense, sarcastic tone of voice. Like he's furious or real nervous and trying to not show it.

Struck me as rather odd. If its not the same guy its someone else butt hurt over a seat belt ticket and saw one of our guys without theirs. ITS NOT FAIR!!!!!!!

Randy
posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
This is not the video (which doesn't show the guy), but this is him: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et1XjUWoxo4&list=UUfj_OmgKyXf9fKFcF-bL0rA&index=1"]Internal Revenue Service Scandal Continues - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
9,058 Posts
I never broke a law I was sworn to enforce. I see PD driving without their seat belts all the time, not to mention cell phone usage.

·
Registered
16,706 Posts
I always wear my seatbelt, feel naked without it, been habit since I was a child. Its never gotten me hung up in the car on hot call either, unsnapping it is as much a reflex as putting it on.

Seatbelt crusader won't get me. I'm perfect.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
There's a video of him screaming at an (Allen Park I think) officer out of his car window. The officer is just laughing at him and his ridiculousness. The funny thing is, I bet the officer could have cited him for reckless, distracted driving, or some such considering the amount of attention he was directing at the officer instead of the road.

Nothing like giving officers a legit reason arrest you while you rail against fantasy persecution.

Unfortunately, the fact that the government has recently been caught in real genuine scandals in targeting political enemies will only further justify this nut bag's pseudo-libertarian delusions.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
For you all not from around here, Downriver is a group of 15 or so suburbs immediately south of Detroit that are all about 30-70k in population. Each has its own FD and PD. Mostly middle class blue-collar folks (think Big 3 factory employees.)

I grew up in Wyandotte, myself.

·
Massive Member
26,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Banned
17,065 Posts
Attention whores with a pedantic mindset. Like 'Rainman" with an ego and a camera.

·
Hook 'Em Up
4,213 Posts
I never broke a law I was sworn to enforce. I see PD driving without their seat belts all the time, not to mention cell phone usage.
I always wear my seatbelt, because its a habit and I've worked too many fatality collisions that could have been easily avoided if a seatbelt had been worn.

I use a cell phone while driving on duty all the time (city ord here), but we're exempt. So, there's no violation on my part.

As far as never breaking a law I was sworn to enforce... Emergency vehicles are exempt from traffic laws here, so technically I guess I haven't either (on duty). I've been pulled over a small handful of times off duty for minor traffic stuff. Not because I was driving like an ***hole, but because I did something bonehead right in front of someone.

I don't act like I can do stuff because I think I can get away with it (I've never asked for consideration or professional courtesy). I'm just not perfect, and have been known to make the same minor mistakes as anyone else.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I always wear my seatbelt, because its a habit and I've worked too many fatality collisions that could have been easily avoided if a seatbelt had been worn.

I use a cell phone while driving on duty all the time (city ord here), but we're exempt. So, there's no violation on my part.

As far as never breaking a law I was sworn to enforce... Emergency vehicles are exempt from traffic laws here, so technically I guess I haven't either (on duty). I've been pulled over a small handful of times off duty for minor traffic stuff. Not because I was driving like an ***hole, but because I did something bonehead right in front of someone.

I don't act like I can do stuff because I think I can get away with it (I've never asked for consideration or professional courtesy). I'm just not perfect, and have been known to make the same minor mistakes as anyone else.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
My squad is only an emergency vehicle under Missouri law when my lights and siren are activated. As you can imagine, if I were never, ever to break any traffic laws in the course of duty, I'd be pretty ineffective at responding to in progress robberies, burglaries, etc. Doesn't mean I'm not extremely careful when operating at an elevated speed without lights and siren because I know I've got no protection if I hit somebody.

Is it illegal? Sure. Does that make me a hypocrite? Maybe. At some point I have to weigh the threat to public safety of responding legally and losing a predator against responding stealthily and catching him before he can do it again.

I might even take off my seatbelt a couple blocks out from a hot call :wow:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts