close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Seasoning Cast Iron

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by KG4IDA, Mar 10, 2006.

1. KG4IDA

KG4IDA

I know this has been covered before ut I don't remember seeing this exactly addressed. When seasoning cast iron, do you season the outside edges and bottom of the cookware or just the inside where it contacts the food? I am guessing that the outsides and bottom are just as prone to rust as the inside but will seasoning the outside with oil cause a smoke or fire problem later? I have seasoned a set of skillets both outside and inside with vegetable oil and left it upside in a 350 degree oven for an hour. I plan to do at least the insides once or twice more but didn't know about the outsides. This is good Lodge cookware so I don't want to mess it up.

2. noway

noway

The inside where the food would cook on, but the outside won't hurt either but I never heard of anybody doing such thing.

btw:You are seasoning the cookware for cooking and not rust prevention.

To prevent rust, remove it after washing ( my mom claims washing trips should be limited and or not need unless you burned food on it ) and hang them up to dry.

3. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

How far are you from South Pittsburg, Tn. You might want to give Lodge a call. Alton Brown recommends seasoning both inside as well as the outside, for what that is worth. I have several Lodge pans and season both inside and outside. However, once should be enough, unless you wash or scrub the seasoning out. To clean my Lodge pans, I pour regular table salt in them as a scouring material and carefully clean them with no detergent or other scrubbing material.

4. KG4IDA

KG4IDA

Thanks for the reply's. I have one "Grandma" skillet that I received from a family member and I just got a Lodge dutch oven and 8" skillet as a safety award at work. The elder skillet is probably close to 75 years old. I hope the new ones are as good in time.

5. noway

noway

" they probably will "

I picked up a skillet off a wall of my parents old house and when I was told how old it was after I fried some eggs and other stuff. Man I cleaned it back up real quick and hung it back up. It was an antique ;)

The new stuff should do the same. Just keep it dry & out of any extend time in water and it will outlive you, your kids ( if you have any ) and their kids ;)

I have about 3 casket cookware and 2 are lodges. My next pruchase would be one of those ribbed skillets or a true dutch oven.

6. major

major Rejected member

You most definitely do the entire thing.....inside and out.