close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sears is going down the drain.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by speedsix, Apr 1, 2010.

1. speedsix

speedsix

How long before Sears joins Circuit City in closing down? I just see them lasting with current management, product lines and customer service the way it it.

I have been a loyal Sears customer all my life but recently, several bad experiences have soured me on Sears and I have vowed to never shop there again.

The big one, which was the one that caused to stop shopping there altogether was the fridge fire I had. I posted about this about 6 months ago but here is the abridged version: My 6-7 Kenmore fridge caught fire just before we woke up for work. I walked into the kitchen which was very hazy and smelled of smoke. I rubbed my eyes thinking they were blurry but it was the fridge on fire. Not a raging fire but a slow electric and plastic fire coming from the relay and wiring. I caught it in time. Customer service was worse than a joke, they were rude and nobody wanted to assist me in anyway. I ended up paying $90 for a relay to be overnighted to me (which somehow took two days) and when it arrived, it was the wrong part! All my food was spoiled and I had to buy a new fridge. They wouldn't refund my money for the part even though they admitted it was their mistake or offer any sort of assistance in any way.

The other problem I have been having is with the tools and the warranty. I have been refused replacement tools for made up reasons and been given refurbished or returned tools as replacements to my returned ones. I went through 3 socket wrenches in one summer because they were all crappy. I have a old socket wrench from the 1960s that still works great so it is not me abusing the tools, they are just junk.

Customer service is beyond terrible. Product is shoddy. Value is poor for what you get. Warranty is not as good as it used to be.

I can't think of a single thing that they sell anymore that I will miss buying. The cloths are cheap, ugly and outdated looking. The tools are made in China junk. The appliances cause fires when you are asleep. The customer service is a nightmare.

How can a retailer like this stay in business?

2. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Impossiblist

where are my rusty pliers?

3. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

:rofl:

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I quit dealing with Sears when I bought a brand new Craftsman mower and hit a hidden stump in my small suburban yard the second time I used it. It apparently broke the blade key or something, so I took it to Sears repair shop to be fixed. When they called me they wanted roughly the price of another new mower for the repairs - I asked how such a small part could cost so much and they told me the mower was so worn out and old they had to replace nearly everything inside it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  5. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I gave up on sears years ago. The last straw was a table saw that had a blade that was not parallel to the fence. I ran the adjusting screws all the way over but it was still about 1 degree out of true. It took them about a year to finally send someone to look at it only to find it was a defective casting on the blade assembly. They would not accept it as a return only ordered the new part which never showed up.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

You'll need more than a new relay if it melted/caught on fire. That kind of damage to the wiring and compressor terminals means the unit is shot and definitely not safe to use, even IF you could get it started again.

Sears needs to replace the entire refrigerator, not just ship you a relay.

7. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  8. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Let me tell you a story about my lugnuts..............................

9. speedsix

speedsix

That sounds about right. I really think they are done. You can't sell crap at high prices to people and then not stand behind it.

I bought a set of 8 ratchet wrenches from Sears for $50, they were okay but were clearly the cheap version with the long rough clicks. I was over at my brother's house a few weeks ago and I was using his ratchet wrenches. I noticed how well made they were and how smooth and precise the clicks were compared to mine. He said he got them at Harbor Freight for about half what I paid! Better product for half the cost?

10. johnjohn

johnjohn

They put out nothing but junk and stand behind nothing they sell.

11. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

12. rahrah12

rahrah12

only thing I have used Sears for is to get my oil changed in the automotive department...I have not had any problems with that so far...they also did my brakes a few years ago and that has been fine

13. farnorthwintercamper

farnorthwintercamper

Sears has been nothing more than rubbish for decades..
    If you purchase a faulty dog turd do you want a free replacement? I do not.

14. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

I honestly don't see the decline of overall service standards at Sears as being any different than other major chains. If you want SERVICE, you have to deal with mom 'n pop. But you'll pay for it.

15. jhall

jhall

I bought a craftsman pushmower last year or the year before. A regular, 22 inch $100 push mower. It will only run on premium gas. Fresh premium gas. If it sat for more than a week, it won't run on it. It just cuts in and out. Pisses me off.

I do however, still like their handtools. I haven't had any problems out of those yet.

16. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

Would that not be a Briggs and Stratton issue, instread of Sears/Craftsman issue?

I have an inexpensive Craftsman (Briggs and Stratton) mower as well. I won't make that mistake again. Probably cost more to repair than I paid for it. Mine has the same symptoms as yours, though I haven't tried the premium gas. I told myself this is it's last year to act up. One sputter, and I'm buying a Honda.

17. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

Yep. When one goes they both go. Two major retailers belly up, Wal Mart and Target will pick up the slack but who is going to employ all those folks who are suddenly out of a job while our Marxist president and Congress spend money like drunken fools.

18. volsbear

Keep your STD stories to yourself.

19. volsbear

I bought a $300 electric start that will run on cow piss and one battery charge lasted nearly the entire summer.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  20. speedsix

speedsix

Some of the tools are still good. Some are still made in the USA but more and more of them are Chinese. The socket wrenches (which should last forever) seem especially bad. The screwdrivers seem fine, I have not had a problem with them. I have a Craftsman Dremil clone that works great for years and years. It is hit or miss but more and more miss lately.

The customer service is what put me off. Anyone can have a bad product. I know don't make the products in house so they can't control everything but they can control how they deal with a shoddy product that they sell.

Keep in mind, I am not one of those people who like to return anything. I will most often eat the loss and just not shop from a place that ripped me off. Sears had a reputation of standing behind their product and that is why a lot guys I work with would ONLY buy Craftsman tools. I am seeing that tool warranty get washed away more and more. Fewer and fewer tools are covered and they don't seem to like to accept returns or exchanges on the tools like they used to. Now that the tools have more problems, it is becoming a real issue. I would say the tools started to really decline about 10-15 years ago when they started making more of them in China. Nothing against China, they can make good stuff, it is just that Sears builds them cheaper to make more of a profit and the quality suffers.

I also believe they have a fire issue with some of the fridges that they refuse to issue a recall on. I am working with a lawyer as well as other people who have had their Kenmore fridge catch fire on pushing Sears to issue the recall. Someone is going to get killed over it and it is a known issue. I have reported it to the Attorney General's office as well.