close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Search Feature comment.

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Contact, May 6, 2006.

1. Contact

Contact

I noticed when I was searching for some nice photos of a 27, that the search would not let me search for "27 photos" because the minimum amount of allowed characters is 3. So I did a search for G27 photos and I got some decent results. But the issue lies in that another member with a few different glocks will post up something along the lines of "This is my 17, 19, 26, 27, 23...etc"instead of This is my G17, G19, G26...etc" So someone who might be searching for material loses quite a bit of valuable info. The user can not even do a simple search for "Glock 23" because the search engine will not look for "23." I'm not complaining by any means, because hey...who doesn't know what a Glock 27 looks like, but who knows what other info is on this board that I might not have found.

So my suggestion is to lower the minimum character limit to 2 characters rather than 3.

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Let's see if I can get this explanation correct, from my weak memory of the last (distant) time I heard it explained.

Eric, the site owner, has said that the search feature requires the entire site be indexed. The time and computing power required to index the site for 3-letter minimum searches is VASTLY lower that the index required for 2-letter searches. As the site is re-indexed regularly (nightly?), this would be a significant drain on resources, and so he has limited the search feature to 3 characters to keep it manageable.

3. Contact

Contact

Okey, no big deal, just wasn't sure if it had been brought up before.

Thanks for the explination!! :supergrin: