close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Search and Rescue-Which Glock would you carry?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by tully_mars, Jun 22, 2006.

1. tully_mars

tully_mars SAR Tech

I'm a member of a local volunteer Search and Rescue, and we work in swamps, river delta, and woods when someone gets lost. We also assist the local Sheriff dept occasionally too. We do carry openly when in the woods (most of us)...so which Glock would you guys carry?

I have a G27 but am thinking of getting a regular .40 Glock so I would have more rounds and mags that would cross work with the G27. But would a .357sig be better in the woods than a .40? I am sure someone is also going to throw in the 10mm, but I have never handled one of them and really don't want another caliber in the safe. I do want to have the most effective firearm with me though.

Do you think I should call Glock about the Fire/EMS program? We do use uniforms and IDs.

Thanks,
    Tully Mars

2. akulahawk

akulahawk

I'll preface this with: "I'm not a SAR guy, nor do I carry on the job".

However, given your circumstance where you ARE allowed to do so and you do NOT want to carry a different caliber, I'd say go with a G22. You'll maximize your capacity and it won't be that much heavier than a G23. Also, your G22 magazines will fit your G27.

You could call about their public safey program and find out if you do qualify for it. If I was still working in EMS... the folks I work with will only issue a Department ID to our armed officers - they're the LEO's.