close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sear spring question.

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by mnhogrider, Apr 5, 2010.

1. mnhogrider

mnhogrider

I bought a Cylinder & Slide sear spring to hopefully reduce the trigger pull on my Springfield Loaded.

Can I just unpin the mainspring housing (after capturing the spring) and slide it down and out, flip up the hammer pin and sneak the sear spring in? Or do I have to go further like take off the grips and pull the ambi safety and grip safety?

This is my first 1911 and I'm mechanically inclined, and have stripped down other guns.

I watched some disassembly videos and it all seems pretty straight forward. I just don't want to take it down further than I need to.

How does the ambi safety come off on the right side? It looks like there's a tab that runs underneath the right side grip. I'm assuming if the right grip is off, the right side safety lever will side up and out?

Thanks for the help!

2. Quack

Quack Rent this space

see above.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010

3. Jim S.

Jim S.

Do it and learn it right the first time and you will never have a problem with it again.
    Very easy to do and it is good to know how to strip your gun.

4. zdragon23c

zdragon23c s&w&me

unfortunately you will need to remove grip safety in order to properly install a sear spring.

5. mnhogrider

mnhogrider

That's exactly what I did last night and all went well.

It's always a bit unnerving detail stripping the first time. Now I know and I'm comfortable doing it.

The bad news is that the lighter sear spring didn't solve my trigger issue at all. I can hardly tell the difference. I wanted to try it first before a trigger job. I may just send it back to Springfield to get it done as I don't know of any reputable Gunsmiths locally and I don't want a hack job.

I'm reading that Springfield will treat me right.

6. Quack

Quack Rent this space

what trigger problem are you having?

7. mnhogrider

mnhogrider

It breaks hard. It's real "choppy". The way it is now, smooth trigger pull is just about impossible. It'll cause my grip to shake after 50 or so rounds. Then I find myself jerking the trigger.

Again, I'm far from a 1911 expert. I do shoot a couple hundred rounds a week through various handguns and calibers. I've shot quite a few rounds out of a friends Colt Gold Cup and the trigger is smooth as glass. I'd like to duplicate it.

8. 11bdad

11bdad 11bdad

Call Springfield CS and explain the issue. More than likely they will pay for the postage and repairs.

Or

Order a C&S matched hammer set. Trigger pull on my new Mil Spec was horrible. It was advertised as 5 to 6lbs, but felt more like 7 or 8. Rather than mess around with sending it back to Springfield I bought a 4.5lb hammer set from C&S and presto. It feels almost as nice as my Kimber Desert Warrior.

Good luck.