close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sean Penn Wants Reporters Jailed for Calling Chavez 'Dictator'

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Smashy, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Smashy

Smashy

First Amendment be damned . . . If Oscar-winning actor Sean Penn had his way, any journalist who called Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez a dictator would quickly find himself behind bars.

Penn, appearing on HBO's "Real Time with Bill Maher" on Friday, defended Chavez during a segment in which he detailed his work with the JP Haitian Relief Organization, which he co-founded.

"Every day, this elected leader is called a dictator here, and we just accept it, and accept it" said Penn, winner of two Best Actor Academy Awards. "And this is mainstream media, who should -- truly, there should be a bar by which one goes to prison for these kinds of lies."

[​IMG]

It was just the beginning of a busy weekend for Penn. When asked on CBS' "Sunday Morning" about those who question his motives for his humanitarian work in Haiti, he said:

"Do I hope that those people die screaming of rectal cancer? Yeah. You know, but I'm not going to spend a lot of energy on it."

Judge Andrew Napolitano, Fox News' senior judicial analyst, said the same constitutional protection that applies to journalists also applies to Penn, who can say pretty much anything he wants in the "political arena" -- aside from an immediate incitement of violence.

"What he is saying is protected, as wacky and weird as it is," Napolitano told FoxNews.com. "But the substance of what he's saying would be absolutely contrary to the First Amendment, which fully protects all political opinions. So if a journalist says Dick Cheney should go to jail, the journalist is privileged to say that."

"Mr. Penn is calling for a communist-like regime in which journalists who criticize the government are sent to jail because of that criticism," Napolitano added. "That is utterly un-American and hasn't happened here since the Civil War."

Lis Wiehl, a former federal prosecutor and Fox News legal analyst, echoed Napolitano’s comments, saying Penn’s statement is "completely counter" to First Amendment protections.

"Unless you're yelling 'fire' in a crowded theatre, i.e. stirring up immediate violence, you have the right as an American to voice your opinion, even if others (including Penn) disagree," she wrote FoxNews.com. "And, yes, Penn has the right to voice his opinion as well -- that's the beauty of the First Amendment. And, don't forget, truth is an absolute defense to any defamation or slander lawsuit."

According to a study by the Business and Media Institute, news coverage pertaining to Chavez from 1998 to 2006 found the Venezuelan president's human rights record was mentioned in only 10 percent of stories, and he was described as a leftist in 12 percent of stories.

Napolitano, meanwhile, said Penn apparently prefers "thuggery" to democracy.

"In light of his ignorance of freedom of speech, his wishing rectal cancer on his detractors, and his embracing tyrants, Mr. Penn obviously prefers thuggery to democracy," he continued. "Were he free to do so, he'd be a tyrant. Now we'll see if he can get me jailed for saying that!"

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...rs-jailed-calling-chavez-dictator/?test=faces

2. DesertEagle.45

DesertEagle.45 USMC 8531 Lifetime Member

He should stick to ready scripts along with Cruise.

3. Swiper

Swiper

Didn't I just read about this? :)

4. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

You should be jailed for bad acting too. :whistling:

5. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

Does he even know what the word means??? There is nothing inheritely derogatory about it:

dic·ta·tor   [dik-tey-ter, dik-tey-ter] Show IPA
    –noun
    a person exercising absolute power, esp. a ruler who has absolute, unrestricted control in a government without hereditary succession.
    (in ancient Rome) a person invested with supreme authority during a crisis, the regular magistracy being subordinated to him until the crisis was met.
    a person who authoritatively prescribes conduct, usage, etc.: a dictator of fashion.
    a person who dictates, as to a secretary.

6. Smashy

Smashy

Was it posted already? I searched but didn't find anything.

7. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

I have always heard what a ****** Sean Penn is. I just got through watching a little bit of him on some Bill Maher show on one of the cable movie channels. Well, after about 20 min. I had had of enough of this blabbering idiot and changed the channel. :frown:

8. Swiper

Swiper

9. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

You can call me Jimmy Crack Corn.

10. Puppy

Puppy

Maybe we should pass legislation prohibiting ****** baggery, then Sean Penn would be forced to move to Venezuela.

11. 03 Jarhead

03 Jarhead Stiff Member

F him, he's been a ******bag for a long time! Why anyone would be interested in this ********s opinion is beyond me. :dunno:

12. security79

security79 Gene Frenkle

While you are correct. You have to admit he was the man in Fast Times at Ridgemont High:supergrin:

13. BicycleDay43

BicycleDay43 00 Buck dude

Honestly, the first thing that pops into my head when I hear the name Sean Penn is a retard trying to grasp the concept of putting a mocha latte together..and then getting an oscar for it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  14. stengun

stengun

Howdy,

Sean Penn is like a baseball umpire, he ain't pitching or catching, he just calls it the way he sees it.

Paul

15. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Oh.....he said Dic Tater....:whistling:

my bad...i though penn was having a buckwheat moment.:rofl:

16. Smashy

Smashy

17. Smashy

Smashy

The first thing I think of is him walking around NOLA post-Katrina with a shotgun...

[​IMG]

18. Southpaw69

Southpaw69

I wish he was still just Spicoli, was much more likable back then.

19. aggiekcc

aggiekcc Lifetime Member

I wish Ted Nugent was there to debate him......Penn would lose his *****. He may be a great actor (I wouldn't know since I stopped watching when he quit having a sense of humor) but he seems like a miserable human being.

20. Sharkey

Sharkey

If he only felt that way about the god hates fags folks who protest at dead soldiers funeral.

What a ****** bag.