close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sealed The Deal: Glock over Smith

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MadCityJack, Feb 11, 2012.

1. MadCityJack

MadCityJack

Today sealed the deal. I spent an hour on the range comparing an M&P 9mm with a G19 4th G. I favored loading the Glock magazine, liked the hand feel of both, and although the sights each have their pros and cons, I shot a much tighter grouping with the Glock. The recoil of the Glock seemed more controlled, not as snappy, allowing for a tighter "double tap." I made the leap and bought the Glock, $460 (with GSSF coupon), $20 for transfer fees plus tax.

Last time at the range I compared the 19 with the 26 and favored the 19. No amount of reading would have led to me that preference as the logical arguments for the 26 are strong. Range time is the answer.

This is my first hand gun purchase in over 20 years, the last being a Ruger .357 stainless steel revolver (which I loved with P+ cartridges). My next purchase will be a .22 caliber conversion kit to keep shooting costs down and develop better trigger and sighting technique. Also, I feel it will help my wife with the transition to higher recoil.

I have been reading this forum for the last several months and truly have benefited from the sound, generous and kind input from senior, experienced shooters. I think your response to beginner questions promotes interest in Glock and shooting. So, thanks to all of You.

Lastly, I also strongly recommend that taking a "test drive" before buying is as critical with a gun as it is a car. Many times the rental fee is waived if you buy and even if not, the experience of shooting is the final decision maker--at least for me.

2. benz mechanic

benz mechanic

sounds like you made a great choice!!

3. Frank V

Frank V

Isn't it great when you can compare guns side by side on the same day? It really makes making a choice easier.

Congratulations, sounds like you got the best one.
    I prefer the Glock partially because of how low it sits in my hand. That causes the gun to come more straight back in recoil for me than most autos. I don't get the muzzle rise with the Glock that I do with other autos. I much prefer the Glock in an auto.
    Frank

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  4. BigNic

BigNic

The 19 is a great choice. I "test drove" mine as well before buying. Congrats.

5. PrecisionRifleman

PrecisionRifleman

Congrats on your purchase. I personally think the lower frame of the M&P is ugly as can be. Not to say that Glocks are really good looking guns, but the ugliness of the lower frame on the M&P really turns me off.

6. WMDoug

WMDoug Keep&Bear Arms

I should have but I never did. I read out here for about two months and then had a range warden tell me he has never owned a Glock, but if he did, he would buy a G19. That was enough for me and you know what? He was right.

7. Bearlaker

Bearlaker

Congratulations! I've not shot a M&P yet.

8. Bruce M

Bruce M

I agree shooting is the best single way to help the decisions process. Enjoy your new Glock.

9. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

I own both and recoil is subjective, but I have no idea how you think the M&P has more recoil than the 19. Both are excellent pistols.

10. captcurly

captcurly

Good choice. I have been carrying and shooting G 19s since 1988. Good luck with your new weapon.

11. MadCityJack

MadCityJack

Switch625: I think the subjective experience of recoil reflects a number of considerations, including pistol grip, hand size, hand structure, pistol and the interaction of pistol with actual bullet fired (charge as well as grain). I also was shooting a "Mosquito" in the mix of testing these 2 pistols, so it is possible there was an "order effect." I tried to counter balance the order when shooting, but I didn't use a truly scientific approach. So, I agree with you in that I too don't know why the M&P felt like it had more recoil; it was subtle in any case. However, I recognized the M&P was well made, had great sights and is a generally precise tool. It comes down to personal preference and if I felt comfortable buying two at this point, it would be an awesome choice. Good Day!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  12. JimM_PA

JimM_PA

I had a chance to shoot both of those models on different days at the range recently. I was impressed with both guns. I'm not sure which grip was in the G17 but the medium grip on the M&P9 felt very comfortable to me. If I was in the market for a 9mm, it would be a tough choice.

13. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

MCJ,

Congrats on the new Glock! Good to know that you were able to A/B the two pistols before making your decision. Sometimes, I wish I would do that before picking up a new one. I will learn that someday, hopefully sooner than later :)

Welcome to GT, and enjoy your new G19!

14. txbirddog

txbirddog

Same here and would bet my life on either one....

15. tonyparson

tonyparson

Congrats on your new G19 you made the right choice..

16. Glock40man

Glock40man

Congrats on your G19!

17. allegro

allegro

Now get you an AA .22 conversion kit and REALLY have some fun.

Enjoy your new tool

18. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

The rear sight has to be removed on the Smith to remove the firing pin if I understand it correctly.

My research reveals the Smith slides have cracked occasionally.

19. legion3

legion3

Well I wasn't able to try both as it was 1988 when I got my first G19. Already owned a G17 I got in 87.

I have since tried the M&P and its trigger is not for the me. Only the new Walther PPQ has a stock trigger that IMO outglocks a glock and would seriously challenge my polymer choices.

I think you made a good choice.

20. bac1023

bac1023