SD Ammo rotation

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by FNGGLOCK, Sep 27, 2020.

1. FNGGLOCK

FNGGLOCK

I don't normally shoot my SD ammo on a range session. Did run a few mags of each type to make sure they work well in my Glocks.

Before taking my gun to the range, cleaning, modding, etc. I will take out the SD round in the chamber, etc, etc.

To avoid rechambering the same rounds of SD again and again when I get the Glock ready for HD duties (I go with 1 in the chamber, and with CA laws only have 10 rounds in the mag). I put the next round in the chamber, then drop the mag. the round that was in the chamber before I cleared the gun is still on it's own. I would then put this round as first inline. I then unload the mag in a FOLI (first out last in) order. This way the round that was in the chamber will be at the bottom of the mag, etc. I figured I should mark it with a Sharpie as well, so when it works it's way to the top it is time to use the rounds at the range for a practice with SD ammo.

I have 2 mags with SD ammo for each Glock at home. I normally work through one mag and then the next. SO when I have done a full rotation I have 2 mags for range practice.

Perhaps I'm a bit OCD with this, but trying to avoid chambering rounds a number of times. I do a visual inspection of the SD ammo before I loud it into the mag(s) to make sure they aren't damaged in any way.

What do you guys do? Am I overthinking this and would visual inspection and using the SD rounds once a year be just fine?

2. SAR

SAR CLM

While it's true that you don't want to continually cycle your self defense rounds to avoid setback and other issues, you are probably overthinking it. I've been carrying concealed for over 40 years now, and I have yet to experience any issue with my first round. I don't chamber and re-chamber daily, and most often, it's only when I shoot the gun in question that I actually unload my self defense rounds, but I have safely rechambered the same round three, four, even half a dozen times and never once had an issue.

Also, you say you are in "CA." Is this California or Canada? Last I checked, if you already possessed magazines with higher than 10 round capacity in California, there was nothing to prohibit you from loading them to full capacity.

3. Nagoya10

Nagoya10

Federal HST, for me at least, has shown to not setback even after several loadings. Try to limit it as much as possible, but if you have the quantity, don't reuse the chambered round when unloading-reloading and put them in a bag and shoot them at the range the next time you are there.

GlockyQ likes this.
  4. FNGGLOCK

FNGGLOCK

CA is California. I don't do this daily, only when I go to the range, cleaning, etc. Probably a couple of times a month for each Glock. Since I'm in CA a CCW is not easy to get in my county, mostly use mine for HD and range, etc.

I'm using HST +P for both the 9 and 45 SD rounds.

Thanks guys, I like the idea of just taking the previously chambered round into a separate bag/case for future range use. Will probably also just unload the mags completely once in a while and replace with fresh ammo too, this should give me a few mags for the range to practice with.

FYI - I have found the HSTs do cut nice round holes in paper target instead of tearing like RN ammo :)

5. Velvetfoot

Velvetfoot

Even at a buck a round, at the range I like to take my P365 out of my pocket and shoot it just as it is, to see if it works. One mag +1 only at these prices, lol. Even FMJ is outa sight, if you can get it.

6. Patchman

Patchman Florist

For a CCW/SD gun, I make it a habit at the range to draw-and-shoot (or at least draw and then shoot... Just like you'd experience if you were forced to draw-and-shoot) the first 1, 2, 3 or 4 rounds. So the chambered round always get shot.

If I didn't have to do the above, then the chambered round gets thrown into the pool that gets reloaded into the mag. Then I have no idea which round it's at in the mag.

7. 0.0-idontrun

0.0-idontrun

Is there any setback from putting a mag into the pistol but not loading it into the chamber?

8. Nagoya10

Nagoya10

Pretty much, no. I am guessing you mean rounds in the magazine, will they setback when the pistol is fired, from the force of them slamming against the front of the mag. The rounds are held pretty tight against each other so there is too much friction for them to move with any force.

9. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

There's nothing wrong with over thinking anything long as you have the time and it doesn't cause you're significant other to have a nervous break down. :D You can virtually eliminate concerns for bullet setback by 'walking' the round into the chamber. Cycle the round slowly until it's fully in the chamber then give the slide a little extra 'tug' to fully seat the round (aka going into battery). You can walk a round into the chamber dozens of times with no bullet set back. If you're really OCD, just mark the round you've chambered a number of times with a sharpie and put back in the mag. No need for trying to figure out which ones in the mag have been cycled and which ones haven't or trying to keep some kind of rotation order. Once all the rounds have a sharpie mark, put them in the 'next range trip' bag.

GlockyQ likes this.
  10. GlockyQ

GlockyQ G43 Fanboy

I also carry HST +P, and they seem to be fine even after more than several chambering.

Whenever appropriate, I chamber my SD round by just putting one cartridge in the mag and operate the slide more softly, rather than from a fully loaded mag and operate the slide very briskly. I then remove the “empty mag” from the gun and load it up. Having only one cartridge in the mag to chamber it first requires much less force, and the cartridge will slide far more easily and smoothly on the feed ramp with hardly any resistance at all. This helps prevent a bullet setback.

After chambering it 10 times or so, I mark the cartridge with a Sharpie and rotate it with another one in the mag. Once all SD cartridges in the mag are marked, I shoot them at the range to test the reliability of a newly purchased gun or mag extensions, etc.

11. tom mac

tom mac

When my SD ammo comes out ( mag out first and then racked ) it gets a sharpie mark on the side. When they get 3 marks they go into a separate bucket. Also , the SD ammo get changed out once per year.
    This bucket allows me to shoot the same ammo as I carry 2x per year.

B0308 likes this.