SCUBA GTers? (Not near the ocean)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by airmotive, Oct 5, 2015.

1. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Me and the better half finished our open water dives yesterday. Now what?
    Gear? Trips? Social?

When I was hard into skydiving, I could always spend a weekend at the drop zone with friends and beer. Pretty much any DZ in any state or country was fare game. Scuba diving seems a lot less social (unless perhaps if you live in Hawaii or Bermuda).

What's the key to getting tuned into a Midwest dive society?

2. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Where are you located?

3. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Indy.

4. robbcayman

robbcayman

Cozumel..

1) Awesome diving
    2) Cheap all inclusives
    3) Get there fast from the Midwest
    4) Did I mention it is cheap?

I have been to Cozumel probably 15 times in the past 10 years. I have dove a lot of other places and for the price and diving you can't beat it.

airmotive likes this.
  5. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Make a trip to the Florida Keys, there is some of the most spectacular diving in the world to be had there in terms of scenery and visibility and interesting stuff to do, no matter your experience level; live coral reefs,, wrecks of all kinds, the Keys have it, and there are a number of different companies offering a variety of excursions, from short morning and afternoon dives to all day trips to overnights where you stay on the boat....

I've been diving for almost 30 years, and I 've been a lot of places, and very few have the quality of diving that you can get in the Keys, and no place else has the accessiblity that lets you get to those dives as easily.....

6. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Florida keys is what I heard. I did lakes and such after a while but it got real boring but still really beautiful but no exotic fish.

7. CAcop

CAcop

Check universities in California. I was on the scuba club at UCSB. They had a few non students in the club. Also look at other states. In California marine bio majors being offered guaranteed a SCUBA club.

8. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    I think he just wants to take a trip to fo a bit of diving rather than go to school there or be part of a club...

9. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I can't help your specific question, sadly. I can say that even here in Seattle, where Puget Sound offers some of the world's best diving, a whole lot of divers head to someplace warmer for the vast majority of their diving.

The reality is that the year-round cold water, powerful currents, etc. make even a fairly casual dive a pretty serious production. There's plenty of divers in the water every weekend, but there's also a large group that have moved on and just dive on vacation in Florida/Mexico/Hawaii/etc.

I of course don't know for sure, but I imagine you'll see the same thing on an even larger scale - there are certainly people who dive midwestern lakes, rivers, quarries, etc., but I'd bet dollars to donuts that there's a solid majority who only dive when traveling.

10. Resqu2

Resqu2

Now that I have a boat, I want to learn to dive more than ever. Don't think anything is offered anywhere close to me. When I'm out fishing and hang that expensive lure Id like to be able to throw on the tank and mask and go get it lol.

11. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

A little bit of both. I want to find a circle of friends who go to breakfast to plan a group adventure someplace, swap gear with, arrange group buys and just yap about diving over a beer. Right now, the only dive experience I can find is as a retail customer...which is fine for now, but won't be a long-term strategy.

12. MajJamesMcFarlane

MajJamesMcFarlane

I'm going to second Mexico in general. Diving in lakes vs diving in the ocean is so incredibly different. I got certified in lakes and I still remember my first time in the ocean (12 or 13 years ago) just blew me away. When I put my mask under it was like being in the biggest room that could ever exist and being at the top of it.

13. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Moff.

14. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

15. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

Thanks but no tanks!

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's pretty tough to turn SCUBA into a social event when you're not in area where there are a lot of divers.

When I was in Boise a few years back, we tried to have cookouts or dinners after dives, but it was like prying teeth.