close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SCSI vs. SATA

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ls, Sep 29, 2004.

1. ls

ls Millennium Member

My understanding of the advantage of SCSI is that the separate controller took over the HDD I/O operations, thus freeing the CPU for other things. Does the SATA controllers on motherboards do the same thing or are they reliant on the CPU for the I/O operations?

2. fatlander

fatlander Comrade

I dont think so, to the best of my knowledge sata is just a serial bus instead of a paralel like the IDE

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

It is my understanding that the Promise controllers are essentially in the same class as their PCI counterparts.

Much like the PCI soundcard moved to the mainboard, there is the need for a little RAM and a few CPU cycles to get the job done.

However, the IDE RAID capabilities found on the ICH5R southbridge do most all of the I/O functions independent of the CPU, and most SATA RAID configs use RAM only to hold the driver.

With any system of over 256MB RAM and 1.4GHz proc, you will not see a performance hit. In fact, HDD benchmarks will rise rapidly just due to the added bandwidth.

And the best part is, you don't need to pay $90.00+ for a SCSI PCI controller card to reap the benefits if you have, or plan to buy, a SATA or ICH5R mainboard!

Best regards,

FastVFR

4. srhoades

srhoades

Except the onboard RAID contollers won't do RAID 0+1. Or if they do, you have to use two SATA drives and two IDE drives which is moronic.

5. jasonvp

jasonvp Kantre Member Lifetime Member

That's one of them. SCSI disks can spin at fast RPMS than IDE (which, ultimately, a SATA drive is) drives. Faster spinning drives usually mean fast data reads.

Also, SCSI drives still have an MTBF twice that of an equivalent IDE drive.

SCSI is more expensive, but you get what you pay for when it comes to disk I/O and performance. Most home users will never see the difference between the two types of drives. But when you start running machines in a production environment, the difference is very evident.

jas