close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Screw You Verizon And Your Joke Speeds

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock&KimberLady, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus Silver Member

Gaaah, out in the sticks, you can either have satellite, wireless "broadband" (uh-huh) or dialup.

Switched from Hughesnet because of increasingly crappy and slow speeds to Verizon broadband.

Hubby has an "unlimited" account (which means 5GB a month, then they FAP [limit] you), I have 5GB a month (then they charge you .25 per MB)

Used to be decent speeds, 200k or so. Lately in the last month, my speeds have dropped to between 25-80k with occasional bursts up to 200, then get booted off the system. Redial, sit at 10k, then note as "dormant" even though I'm actively trying to access a web page.

Must be all those new damn phones people got for Christmas.

Hubby is getting the daylights FAPped out of him too, not because he's exceeded the 5GB per month limit, but because he uses XBox Live. Apparently, buried in the fine print, you may not use XBox Live with Verizon. They suggest a landline, which won't work, because cable isn't accessible where I live.

Wondering if they're dropping MY rates because his are so high, since they're on the same billing name/address. Must make phone call tomorrow and scream. Six minutes to load GT is ridiculous, if it doesn't time out or stall in the meantime.

:steamed: :steamed: :steamed:

2. Yo

Yo

Yep,

I just added Verizon mobile broadband to my netbook. Compared to my home wireless network, it feels like dial-up. Takes nearly a minute to load a graphic-heavy web page. With my wifi, it takes a few seconds at most.

3. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Mine seems to have the same symptoms. Fast to slow to dead.

We were thinking of switching to Hughesnet sattellite, it is is really slower than this Verizon air card?

4. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

I don't know what your complaining about because i use verizon. I got the bundle deal with FIOS and have all the sat channels and highest internet speed on the market. I guess you don't have fiber optics in your area. :dunno:

5. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

If you aren't using a wireless 3G card, you can't understand it.

Fiber optic? Hell, a lot of us are lucky to have landline hook ups.

6. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Well HELL!

Long time no speak.

Are we gonna hafta BEG for updated pics of the newest cutie?

'Drew

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Ok. I can help. What part of >>
    did you not get?

Once we get past that, we can move to dissecting the rest of her post.

'Drew

8. Pima Pants

Pima Pants Urine Idiot

I have Verizon unlimited broadband on my laptop, both of which are provided by my employer. All of us in the office who need the ability to work remotely have the same setup and have had for at least 3 years. We are in a large metropolitan area but occasionally experience the same problem you are describing. I have corrected a number of laptops, including my own by removing and installing the Verizon broadband software. The last one I corrected was on my boss' laptop and it had the same slowdown/dormant/signal loss that you are having. Removing and reinstalling always seems to fix the problem for several months. I don't know why these configurations get hosed up, but they do.

9. OdinIII

OdinIII

Have you thought about an antenna to route outside cell signal into your house? It may be called an amplifier. I looked into one of these for my employer a while back.

It sounds to me like it would help you assuming you have good/better signal outside.

10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

11. Jai9100

Jai9100

Verizon is quickly becoming the new telecommunication devil that ATT used to be a few years back. You have to follow the tech blogs to know.

A "good" company would read your feedback as an area that needs some increased access to bring in more customers from that particular area, provided you actually told them about your coverage woes.

(All that being said I have ATT)

12. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Verizon does not work in the country.
    OK in the urban yuck zones.
    :supergrin:

13. Glock&KimberLady

No cable, no fiber optics. I live in the sticks. We don't have stuff like that here.

I also have a WIRELESS internet card.

14. Mr981

Mr981

I've had a Kyocera Rev A card--PCMCIA sized--for nearly 2 years, live in a remote area and have to say the service has been decent, but speeds have bounced all over the place.

This past week, I measured 1.3Mb down and 450Kbps up with a latency of about 100 ms--which is very good. 500-600Kbps down and 300kbps up is more likely.

Signal strength is key--what number have you seen on the VZaccess manger software? I typically see an RSSI number of about 70 which is very good; once you get above 90-100 speeds drop off fast. If you move your curser under the signal strength bars you should see a number; lower is better.

There is a site that sells antennas and amplifiers for this service for people on the fringe of coverage; I'll post it when I find it.

15. Glock&KimberLady

EVDO is -101 currently
    1x RTT is -98

Oddly enough, until the beginning of January, those numbers were in the 50-70 range...interesting.

16. Mr981

Mr981

http://www.evdoinfo.com/

I bought a wireless router from them--Linksys--which takes the EVDO card and creates a wifi hot spot so that more than 1 computer can use the connection at a time.

lot's of good info about the service also.

17. Mr981

Mr981

I just did a speed test on this site:

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

the results are attached; RSSI was about 70.

there could be a couple of things working:

-one tower with limited pipe (1 T-1 line) serving a lot of wireless users in you range. Other users can be overloading the network with Mpeg/Wav files which can really slow down your service. If this happens a lot after 4PM or in the evenings you can guess that that it's a "too many users" problem and not your location.

-Call verizon and see where your tower is; you might be able to rig an inexpensive outside antenna to bump up your signal strength, but you'll need the approx. location/direction from your house. If you're within a couple of miles of the tower site you should have sufficient signal unless the walls of the house are super thick.

18. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

OMG -- she lives!

Glad to have ya back!!!

19. simmy952

simmy952

We have a wireless broadband company in my area. They do pretty good. In my rural area, cable is also not available. Dsl would be my choice but the end of the line is about 1700 ft from my property. Hughs net is a joke. My buddy has that and he is getting severely hosed from that. Alot of people are getting new phones and the mini laptops with air cards. Like stated above, once people realize the limits and the cost of them, they are not that great.

20. Mr981

Mr981

In a perfect world, wireless broadband --small provider using their own antenna system with sufficient backhaul to handle traffic--is definitely the way to go if you can find a reliable provider.
    High speeds, low latency at a reasonable price are expected, but the economics of the real world haven't been kind for these types of services in my area.
    You usually have to pay upfront for the modem and potentially the installation, which can total a few hundred bucks and hope the operators have a sufficient customer base to keep them alive for a while--at least that's how it has worked here.