close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Screw or Glue?! Front Sight for Glock

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by n0vember, Jan 23, 2010.

1. n0vember

n0vember germanolicious

I'm going to exchange the standard factory sights on my Glock 22 with the Glock Tritium steel night sights, the shop has the "old" front sights that are glued to the gun and then hardened in the stove and the "new" version that is screwed on...

As much as I like my modifications to be reversible which would have me go for the screw on sight, I also like my front sights to stay where they are which would probably mean, that the glued on front sight would be the better choice..

which one would you prefer and why?

thanks..

2. SCC

SCC just me

"old" front sights that are glued to the gun and then hardened in the stove .. NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE !!!

[​IMG]

My GNS are staked on and my glock steel sights are screwed on ...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Screw on is what I prefer,....never seen a "glue on" sight before.

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

If someone glued the sight onto a Glock, it wasn't Glock.

The screw type attachment is quite secure if a drop of Locktite is applied to the threads of the screw prior to installation.

5. TTO DRIVER

TTO DRIVER

When you put on the staked on sight Glock says to put on an adhesive like Lock-Titi around the the inside rim of the sight before you crimp it on. But if you just put adhesive on it the first time you shoot it you'll be on your knees looking for it. :rofl:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  6. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

On a related note: My front sight screws in just like the one in the pic on the right. There is the -bare slightest- bit of detectable wiggle. You can't visually see it, but if you move your finger on it you can feel the tiny amount of play.

The screw is absolutely as tight as i could go, until the point i was worried about causing damage or stripping it. I think the screw itself is just a smidge longer than the hole in the sight, so it's bottoming out inside and not screwing deep enough.

Any advice on correcting this, or should i just not worry about it? I've tried a drop of locktite, as well as nail polish... neither lasts more than a few months.

thorn

7. n0vember

n0vember germanolicious

Thank you very much for this answer... and all you others as well

I'll go for the screwed ones then

8. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Call the manufacturer and see what they say, I'd guess they'd send you a new screw. If they do, compare its length to the one you have now....one could remove a little metal from the tip of the screw if need be.

9. ChipM

ChipM

I'd just run the end of the screw over a file and take off half a thread or so.

10. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

IMO, the staked on front sight is cheap as hell. The tritium works fine, but still, I think it is cheap of Glock to make it a one and done installation. Being able to replace a somewhat worn out night sight that is a few years old and throw it in the accessories box for just in case isn't a bad idea. I did that with some Ameriglo's. They are dim, but if my current sights on my EDC were to break I could throw those on in a pinch while I wait for the replacement order to come in.

11. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

I think you and Butch are onto something. I'm going to give that a shot. I don't have a proper file to do the job, but I think I'll be heading to the hardware store.

thorn

12. snair

snair

if you are going to file/grind any threads off run a nut up on the screw or bolt prior to grinding. it seems to help in cleaning up the threads when you remove the nut.

13. bentbiker

bentbiker

Before filing it down, make sure there isn't a metal shaving or something in the screw hole keeping it from going in all the way.

14. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

I like the pressed in sites a long a i have the tool. i think the reason they went to it was that too many were coming loose due to vibration. The pressed in ones ain't going nowhere.and if you are not careful,one can break the screw pretty easy by over tightening it.

The pressed ones are reusable as long as you have the press handy.

15. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

How do you remove them with out damaging them?