close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Screenshot/snapshot

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Generalcarry, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I'm messing with an old computer and trying to use the settings from my unit to copy onto another. I'm getting tired of writing down what the screen looks like and wanted to just make and forward a picture of the primary screen to a computer in another location. When I asked at "Help" (using XP Home) it said Alt+PrintScreen, then just paste and copy. It won't work for me. The only print screen key I see combines print screen and SysRq onto one button. How did I f-up when there are only 2 keys???????
    Can anyone help?

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Well... first, what program did you try to paste into? Paint is the primary option. You can't past into notepad or some other text program.

Second, the print screen key works by itself. No need for alt anymore.

Third, you must be using a laptop. Is the print screen lettering on the key the same color as the printing on most of the other keys? If it's blue or grey or something, you probably need to hit Fn or some other key to make the function you want work.

3. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

1. I tried to copy/paste to an e-mail so I srewed up there.
    2. I tried Alt/PS, PS/SR alone, and even Att/shift/PS and got a high contrast screen (learned something:))
    3. I'm using a desktop so I geuss it's all a moot issue.
    4. Thanks for taking the time to help......

4. Bronson7

Bronson7

You would use Alt/PS to copy the Active window (when multiple windows are viewed). Saving it as a PNG file gives the best resolution.
    Bronson7

5. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Nothing comes on screen to even give me a choice.

6. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Hmmm. Alt-PrntScrn worked for me to paste into an Outlook e-mail.
    I typically paste into IrfanView. If you're really having problems, try FastStone Image Viewer. It's a great free picture manager with a good built-in screen capture tool.

Joey

Actually, it looks like FastStone has a freeware utility that's focused just on doing Screen Captures (http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm). You might want to try it if the image viewer is overkill.

7. Bronson7

Bronson7

I'm not sure I have a firm grasp of your situation, but here is what I would do:
    Once you have the window you want to copy:
    1.While holding down the Alt key, click the PrintScreen/Sys Req key.(if you have just one active window it will copy it. If you have multiple windows open, it will copy the ACTIVE window.)
    2.Open Paint and in the tool bar, select Edit/Paste.
    3.The screen is now pasted in Paint and you should see it.
    4. In the tool bar, select File/Save.
    5. When you get your Save window, select the file type (at the bottom of the Save window) to PNG. You can use BMP but PNG gives a better picture.
    6. Save it to your Desktop.
    7. Attach it to your Email

Hope that helps
    Bronson7

8. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I just went to Outlook Express, tools, and opened options. I then pressed Alt and the Print Screen/SysRq and nothing happened. No menu appeared, no blink, no nothing. There is no indication of anything happening. If I were to hit the Caps Lock key at least a light would appear!

9. Bronson7

Bronson7

General, did you follow my instructions to the letter? You're making this waaaay too difficult:) You WILL NOT get an indication until you paste it in Paint. Follow my instructions and you should get it with no problem.
    Bronson7

10. malkore

malkore

this is NOT HARD.

when you alt+prtscn, you don't see anything happen. all you did was copy the active window to clipboard.

open MSPaint.

hit ctrl+V to paste the screenshot.

save.

I would explain how to copy .ini files and saved program settings so you didn't even have to configure the new machine to look the same...but there's no hope of learning that until you master copy & paste, young grasshopper.

11. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I did it! Not only did I do it, I now know I have something called MSPaint! I had to search for it, but I found it. I was able to pull the snapshot from pictures and send them on to my boy.
    Thanks for your help and patience. It really was easy:)

12. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member