screensaver won't work

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BobRicks, Apr 21, 2005.

1. BobRicks

BobRicks

I am running Windows XP Home edition, and all of a sudden, my screen saver no longer works. I have checked the settings, it is set to come on after 15 minutes, but nothing happens. I have gone to bed and woke up the next morning and the desktop screen is still showing.

Have run AdAware SE and Spybot S&D, neither finds anything.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Bob.

2. Blast

Blast 'nuff said

Reboot maybe?

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Restart the PC or disable the screensaver completely off then restart and turn it back on.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I don't know how much memory you have but the screensaver takes up some resources.You might want to run Disk Cleanup.Make sure you check all the boxes.

5. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

screen savers are not needed anymore, they were for older computers that had screens that would easily burn in.

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Quite true, but for some reason, people still like 'em.

Had a client who wanted a goofy 'Dancing Baby' Screensaver from the 90's installed the other day!! The stupid thing gyrated to "Red, Red Wine". I kid you not.

I could have happily lived the rest of my life w/o hearing THAT 'classic' again, let me tell you!! Needless to say, I charged full price for that little job.

But, yeah...to some people, the wasted resources and slower performance are worth having a screensaver pop up after awhile.

You say potato, they say potahto. *shrugs*

Myself, I shut off my monitor when I am done using the PC, but I generally leave the PC running.

7. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

I agree with fastvfr screen savers a just a waste of system resources, if you are going to be away from your computer for more then 5 minutes just turn off the monitor.

8. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

I've seen this happen with PC's in high traffic areas where there's a lot of vibration. Turn the mouse up when you go to bed and see if that's the problem. If the mouse is picking up vibrations from something enough to keep the screen saver from coming on that is a possibility.