close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scratched my slide

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by novasquid, Apr 10, 2012.

1. novasquid

novasquid

So I did something stupid and nicked/scratched my slide. Its a tiny nick but if I run my fingernail over it, it catches so I know it's a fairly deep nick. Can this be fixed with an aftermarket refinish, eg CCR's CPII? Or can I send it to glock to have it refinished?

2. gunner76

gunner76

I wouldn't worry about it, just keep it oiled. If it bothers you, you could always dab some paint over it. I just can't see spending the money to refinish an entire slide just for a small nick(I'm also very picky when it comes to my guns).

ETA: I used to like to keep my guns looking like they did the day I brought them home. But now I kinda like a little wear, it gives the gun character and makes it look like it's used. Besides, it seemed like the harder I tried to keep a gun looking pristine, the quicker I scratched it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

3. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

4. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

I've got nicks, scratches, holster wear, and idiot marks on all my guns, one way or another (except for my Mosin-Nagant 91/30, cheapest gun I have, but it's 84 years old and I baby it).

I don't mind scratched/wear at all. As long as it's not rust, I'm happy with my finish.

5. Tomass

Tomass

It's a gun, not the Mona Lisa... :supergrin:

6. JORO1

JORO1

small dab of black nail polish and a dab of clear over it worked on my rossi 38

7. novasquid

novasquid

i appreciate people's opinion of what they would do, and to each their own. so i'm not asking whether or not i should fix it, but whether or not refinishing will help clear up the nick/scratch. you'd rather live with it, great for you! i choose to try and fix it.

8. tenntornado

tenntornado

There isn't much refinishing won't hide.
    But it's a carry gun

9. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

10. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Just send it in man. I think they charge like $55. Anything you try to do to cover it up is going to look like you tried to cover it up, and in your eyes it will look like azz. Judging from your posts, that's not what you want.

11. 1canvas

1canvas

with my carry guns I look at the wear and scratches and say ''one day when they get really bad I'll refinish them,'' and move on. its kinda like replacing a windshield with a chip, you will be so worried about another chip on the new glass it will make you crazy.

12. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

No biggie. Forget about it. Darn near the only scratch I would worry about on any gun is the 1911 idiot scratch.

MF

13. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

I wouldn't be too meticulous about a scratch on my glock. I'd be proud.

14. Glock40man

Glock40man

Glock will refinish your slide for $45 + shipping. Here is a link.http://us.glock.com/customer-service/glock-warranty

15. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Nothing wrong with some battle scars! Lol

16. Nib-XG26

Nib-XG26

I did the same thing to my 21 made me nuts, with out seeing yours not sure how bad it is but I got a Birchwood Casey Presto gun blue pen I was 100% shocked how good it works. I just for fun took my glock tool and polished it and then used the pen to blue it just for a test it really works awesome and doesn't come off. Just a thought,,, I agree 100% with you I hate scratches on my non carry guns..

17. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

When I had my slide done in CPII, it was evenly distributed over the existing surface. Any imperfections in the metal itself were still visible, though covered by the CPII, the slide peening being a good example.

18. novasquid

novasquid

I received a response from Mary at CCR. As long as its a very minor nick or scratch they can "remove the scratch" as part of the CPII process. She didn't say how they would remove it.

19. Rustin

Rustin

Refinish it and then find a cotton candy holster that won't mess up your slide. You can even eat it when your done.:supergrin:

Really though, if one scratch makes you want to refinish your slide on a carry gun I can see alot of money being wasted on new finishes. It's gonna get dinged up no matter what. I don't disrespect, because like you said, to each his own. It's just that it will get costly if your gonna be so worried about it. Money that will better be spent on ammo. Heck, I couldn't get my Glocks to look any thing other than new because of it's incredibly durable finish, but maybe I like a little character.:pirates:

20. novasquid

novasquid

i plan to have a special holster made out of goose down feathers wrapped in 1000 thread count silk infused with a special anti-wear ingredient called unobtanium. :) i should be good to go at that point!