SCRATCHED BRASS (PICS)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Glocktastic60, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Glocktastic60

Glocktastic60

SORRY HAD TO REPOST WITH PICS,.... LOOK DOWN.
    Strange scratches on brass from a brand new Glock 43. Any ideas? Function was ok. Slow motion footage of ejection shows less than ideal ejection sequence, but it is clearing the breach every time.

BELOW ARE SOME PICS... IF I LINKED THEM CORRECTLY

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    IF PICS AREN'T HERE CHECK BELOW.....
    I must say due to the fragile finish, rough barrel machining, and MIM parts, I will never buy a Glock again, ever.

2. Glocktastic60

Glocktastic60

3. Terlingueno

Terlingueno

Then sell it, and buy something else...

...or call Glock and complain, venting here won't fix your gun

DanaH, Paul53, jfusaro and 1 other person like this.
  4. Glocktastic60

Glocktastic60

CALLED GLOCK... their response... "Sir we have not changed our finish... " guy was so good at lying he should be a politician. I said, " you're kidding right, everyone talks about and knows how easily damaged the new finish is."
    I will be getting a single stack 9mm from a company that is not cutting corners like CZ, FN or possibly SIG when I see one very comparable in size to the 43.

5. useranonymous

useranonymous Typing away useless posts on the internet

Are you looking for some cheese?
    Plenty of folks will buy it off you.

bmrtoyo likes this.
  6. XDGunner

XDGunner

How much do you want for it?

Paul53 likes this.
  7. Glocktastic60

Glocktastic60

I wasn't planning on dwelling on Glock quality issues.... I was just hoping to see if any gunsmiths were knowledgeable on brass marks, and might be able to enlighten me.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  8. PreciousChud

PreciousChud

So they ejected every time and the gun fired every time?

Who gives a **** if there are scratches on spent brass?

Paul53 and glide like this.
  9. Glocktastic60

Glocktastic60

The burn marks on the same side as the scratches suggest the possibility of a chamber burr (leading to blow by), or a feed ramp edge. I was just hoping someone more knowledgeable than me might have some insights to offer.

If anyone with more training has any theories I'd love to hear what you think.... if I've offended any snowflakes I apologize, and can refer you to a nearby safe-space.

tercel89, happie2shoot and WakeWise like this.
  10. XDGunner

XDGunner

I wasn't offended and I was dead serious. If it's a good enough discount, I'll deal with the issues myself and save you the headache.

APERS and Paul53 like this.
  11. Equus Pallidus

Equus Pallidus

I would agree with you on the blow by AKA plasma cutting except the scratches are on top of the discoloration. If the scratches were discolored then I would probably agree with you. But the marks are, seem to be, color free.what ever is making the scratches is happening after bullet exit and during recoil. You have a really bad burr or set of burrs. Get you a hand drill and a chamber mop. Then order you some polishing compound from Brownells. 600 and 800 grit and polish the hell outta that chamber. Or just send the gun with the brass back to glock and have them give you a new barrel.

DanaH and Paul53 like this.
  12. Scythe

Scythe

I think I would agree that something isn't quite right. Follow the advice above ^, or sell it.

Unclebucksguns and Paul53 like this.
  13. Glocktastic60

Glocktastic60

Sorry but Gun was purchased through the Glock BlueLabel program, at a heavy discount, and I have no interest in selling it this close to purchase date (would look fishy).

14. glide

glide Just sayin'

See if a local gunsmith can give the gun a once over. Or send the gun back to Glock with a few of the spent casings. Tell them about the issue. You may have to send it back on your own dime though. If you don't like thats idea, sell it. If you don't want to sell it or send it back to Glock if you can't get it taken cared of locally, trade it for something you will feel better about. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW

Paul53 likes this.
  15. Glocktastic60

Glocktastic60

Thanks guys. Some good ideas...

16. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

[QUOTE="Glocktastic60, post: 23900676, member: [​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Soot on brass usually suggests underpowered loads. Circular scratches are probably from the rim of the next cartridge, I would suggest looking at 1)Feed ramp, (polish) 2) better ammo 3) rsa might be slowing things down on ejection.

I would not touch the chamber one iota.

APERS, Buckshot Barry, Paul53 and 2 others like this.
  17. dudel

dudel

How about rough feed lips or grit in the mag? Load a mag, then unload it (by hand). Any scratches present?

Seems like a rough chamber would leave lengthwise marks from extraction. Same for the feed ramp. Round to round marks would seem to be smaller as there is only point contact (two round surfaces making contact at a single point).

Interesting. Let us know what the resolution is.

18. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

Glocktastic Is this the first time to the range with this pistol?
    Did you field strip it clean and lube before you shot it.
    Try a little hotter ammo for a little while, let things wear in.
    Are you able to tell by the primer, which way the shells are turned?
    Is the blow by top, bottom, or side?
    Use a good light and magnifying glass to check cylinder.
    Try a dry cotton ball or swab to try to find a burr.
    If all else fails when you start looking, Check out the Ruger LC9s,
    It is a fine little single stack pistol. I bought one just before the G-43 came out, otherwise I would have had a G-43.
    I carry a G-23, most of the time, and a G-19 every once in a while.
    The LC9s, I carry when something smaller is needed, or my wife may put it in her purse for a backup.

Never can tell after a few hundred rounds it might stop.

happie2shoot likes this.
  19. crockett

crockett

What ammo is that, how old is it and what was the condition of the brass before shooting the rounds?

I have a feeling that your ammo is old, got wet or in touch with corrosive elements to an extent that might have lowered the burn rate of the powder and possibly expanded the bases in spots through patches of corrosion. Those high points in combination with weakened powder could have increased the blow by.

The rough cases probably skidded over the feeding ramp leaving those marks.

Please post a photo from unfired rounds from the same batch and answer the above questions.

Those are signs of heavy corrosion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  20. DrewBone

DrewBone

Since the marks on the brass are only along it's circumferance and don't appear to be dents, such marks could only be formed by a circular entity that is perpendicular to the case; the chamber. I believe each case to be "chattering" out of the chamber during ejection, mostlikely precipitated by the resistance of a burr somewhere along the edge of the chamber. This burr could be allowing a gap to exist between case and chamber where expanding gases are free to proliferate; these gases eventually contribute enough pressure for ejection and the case is ejected, though not before receiving their scarring from the burr on the way out.

A single cartridge loaded by hand with reference marks applied to it (ie., (N)orth (S)outh (E)ast (W)est; face the "N" straight up in the chamber) will reveal the area causing the issue after the case is ejected.

Once the area is identified, either carefully Dremel it or send it back to Glock with examples of the brass, regardless of how much you paid for it.

Kevin43, DanaH and Paul53 like this.