close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scrapping While Pocket Carrying

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by elgoatropo, Mar 1, 2010.

1. elgoatropo

elgoatropo

Up to now, I have maintained that if you are armed, you are responsible to behave deferentially, turning the other cheek, running from conflict if possible.

However, if you are pocket carrying, you run less risk of being made or losing your gun in a scuffle.

Does anyone think it is OK relax that standard a little while carrying in a more secure and covert way?

I suspect the law would frown on fighting while armed regardless of the mode of carry.

While fighting is seldom the answer, there are some people who really need beaten. Remember Epic Beard Man's assailant? Or the Seattle bus station thugs? Discuss.

2. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454

3. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

The two examples you give are not the optimal ones to make your point.

In the case of Epic Beard Man the fight likely would never have taken place if he had just shut his pie hole and let the conversation drop.

In the case of the Bus Station thugs deadly force was, in my opinion, perfectly justified.

I can't think of one time in my adult life when I was put in a position to actually have to fight.

4. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

5. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Yeah. If it's in your pocket, not on your hip, just go ahead and throw down. Why not, right? What's the worst that could happen?!

6. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

:supergrin:

7. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

Of course, have at it. And when the cops show up, and you are giving your side of the story, be sure to reach in your pocket and pull your pistol REAL FAST while saying "see here ossifer, I coulda shot his *** if I'd a wanted to".

8. Adjuster

Adjuster

I am 42yrs old. Never been in a 'fight'. People that get into fights are looking for fights.

9. frank4570

frank4570

The guys buddy will shoot you a little after your gun goes flying from your pocket.

10. pangloss9

pangloss9

+1 (though I'm only a youthful 34 years old)

11. 03 Jarhead

03 Jarhead Stiff Member

WOW! Where did you guys grow up? I find it hard to believe that you've never been in a fight! Not even in school?! :wow: :dunno:

BTW, people that get into fights aren't necessarily looking for fights. A lot of the time they just aren't willing to roll over and put up with your BS.

If you've never been in a fight, good for you. However, for me; I look at it as a life experience. :supergrin:

You may not always win, but you never run away with your tail between your legs.

12. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

No. This is just so stupid. No wonder there are groups who mistakenly feel everyone should be prohibited from carrying firearms when it is only a very small minority of ccw holders who need to be slapped up side the head.

13. frank4570

frank4570

It might make more sense to just leave the gun at home. That way you are always good to go for a fist fight.

14. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Back when I was young and stupid I had a good share of fights. Once I grew up and realized that battery doesn't "solve" problems but, instead "creates" whole new ones that never existed before, I found better ways to spend my time.

Adults don't (or shouldn't) settle their differences with violence, there are better ways of working with society.

"Running away with your tail between your legs" is preferable to ending up shot, stabbed or beaten. Frankly, if that makes me a coward in your eyes, I'm OK with that.

If someone assaults me I will defend myself but, de-escalation and minding my own business have worked pretty well for keeping out of random melees thus far in my adulthood.

15. JGguns

JGguns

Negative on that. I got into more than my share of fist fights and I can honestly say I never started one. Now there was some I didnt try to walk away from but I never started one. I wasnt looking for fights but I came up boxing(my dad was pro boxer) and was told not to let people walk on you. If I would have ever started one my dad would have beat me, cause he always would harp on the things I was learning were meant for the ring were it was much safer and a more controlled enviroment.

Back to the topic. Unless I am in the ring, I am not fighting unless I absolutely have to, but at that point your probly justified to pull your firearm. Wich there have been times when I am out downtown and some drunk dude has said something disrespectful to my gf, but know I am carrying I had to hold my tongue. I would say the only time its a good idea is if your fighting someone of you so you can get to your firearm...

16. BEER

BEER bad example

i don't get it.

i was under the impression that the sole reason for carrying a pistol was for the purpose of ending unwanted attacks and to keep yourself from being the victim of an assault.

who knows, maybe i'm doing it wrong.

17. JGguns

JGguns

Well said. I have way to much to lose now. Plus its no fun getting up the next day with sore hands and a black eye or cracked rib lol.

18. security79

security79 Gene Frenkle

This is why I carry fox 5.3. Not every situation warrants deadly force. I'm a short individual that could possibly get away with defending myself with a firearm from a 6' 5" thug intent on cracking my skull but I don't want to test it. But really and truly the best advice is to avoid conflict. But then again sometimes you run into some individuals that won't let you.

Take for instance a guy who I brushed up against at a gas station. This guy was obviously intoxicated and looking for trouble. I said excuse me. He turned around, started cursing at me, and went outside. I paid for my items, went outside, and this guy was waiting for me. He says "do you gotta problem or something." I said "no problem at all mister". He was with some woman, who looked like his mom, yelling at him to get in the car and so he did. Needless to say this could have went downhill fast had I handled it wrong but I just swallowed my pride and let it go.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  19. bug

bug

Well I have been in my fair share and I too have not started any.
    my dad would have beat my *** to a pulp if he found out I started a fight.
    however he would have been more annoyed if I back down or let some one push me around.
    you should always try and stop it before it starts, but some people just are hard headed and no matter what you do they will make it happen.
    one lesson I have learned is not to hit with bare knuckles to the head you may look cool knocking them out but if they die your in a world of hurt.
    Its better to use the open hand or submit them works just as well 99% of the time and there is way less chance of serious injury.

20. glock30user

glock30user

Don’t be a putz! Quit trying to look macho and play nice in the sandbox.