Scotts Lawn Service

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Machew, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Machew

Machew

I have tried for three years to have a great looking lawn and I have failed. I have managed to keep most weeds out of my yard, but the grass I have looks awful. Lots of bare spots and about six different types of grass. Has anyone used Scotts or Trugreen? Is it woth the cost? I also have had a few moles tear up the yard since last fall.:crying: Is it worth buying a roller to level out the yard?

2. Murph33

Murph33

Growing up my father always used Scotts Turfbuilder. We also always had the greatest looking lawn on the block. To this day he swears by the product. I cannot say if that is a direct correlation as there are many other factors involved in keeping the lawn looking good (Proper watering, iron, etc).

At this point in my life I have yet to have a yard worth taking care of, or a yard to take care of period so I cannot attest to using Scotts Turfbuilder on my own yard. Hope this at least helps a little.

3. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

moles? get ya a pit bull.

4. Machew

Machew

Thanks. I have tried the do it myself stuff for the past three years and it just is not getting the yard to where I want it.

5. sandman23

sandman23

Having a fertilizer/weed control company is a very small investment for the benefit it provides. You can hardly buy the products that you need in order to treat your lawn for what a fert. company can apply it for. Not to mention the quality and effectiveness of their products.

I am not a fan of TruGreen. Just don't like the way they do business. Scotts is probably ok. If Lawn Doctor is in your area, I would try them. Get a few estimates. They should all be comparable. You should only need 6 to 7 services, so don't let anyone talk you into more.

Some of them should also be able to get rid of moles. I believe Talprid is an effective bait.

6. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

Rip it out, go xeriscape..

Plant Rocks..

Green Rocks..

7. osuconley

osuconley

This guy is headed toward the right idea.
    I do this for a living, PM me for more info.

8. PBCounty

PBCounty

Mow the monkey and let it be. Don't worry so much about the grass.

9. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

No doubt...I never understood guys that are obsessed with their lawns.

10. zeke66

zeke66

Those companies and services are very, very bad. I've heard that they actually make your grass GROW! As much as I HATE mowing grass, (even though I've now find out that I can legally do it while drunk in Georgia) I'll be danged if I'm gonna pay for a service that makes me have to mow it more!

11. USSOCOM

USSOCOM

I have about had it with even Scott's. Lived here 10 years and my lawn is great one season and crap the next. Weeds would look better and sometimes they do. I believe I am going to seek out one of the pros myself.

12. The Hawk

The Hawk

I fought with my lawn for years. Did the treatments myself regularly with no luck. Two years ago we got Trugreen to start their lawn care program on our yard. They suggested power seeding as well as treatments (I think there were 6 treatments per year). Our lawn looks great now. It is really not much more than I was paying for the products when I applied them myself.
    I am actually looking forward to spring this year as I know I will have a good looking lawn. I do not have any experience with any other company. We used Trugreen based on a friend's advice and have been pleased with the results.

13. G19CCW

G19CCW

I started using Scott's Lawn care last year and can honestly say that it was my nicest looking yard in the 4 years I've been in my house. Believe it or not, per treatment it was actually cheaper than doing it myself. My yard is approx 3/4 acre and would cost me $120 to buy fertilizer then I had to apply it. Scotts charges me $63 to fertilize the whole yard!!!

14. kiole

kiole

Not a big fan of TruGreen, If you go with one of these services try Scotts or a locally company. Prefably one who is actually certified to put down the material, or does a good job. Easiest way to find a good company is drive aroudn find the nicest laws and see who they use.

It's not hard to do a 4-6 step scotts program. If your getting bare spots this is won't be fixed by fert. You need to get rid of the moles, then spot seed any problem areas in the lawn. Even better over seed the entire lawn and use starter fert to get it established then go on the scotts 4 step program from a hardware store. If you need good advice ask the guys at the store who run the garden centers. They get all kinds of training and usually know their stuff.

15. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Moles are endangered in some states. You may find bait, repellents and killers blacklisted in your area.

16. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

Most companies like Tru Green have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. They do honor it, I know from experience... I had the service and was not happy after an application, and they were out the next day taking care of the problem...

PS.. the home owner does have to take some reponsibility--like watering the lawn...

17. andybob

andybob Do Work

Me either. I like the lawn to look good, but some people are anal about it. I work with a kid who's parents don't allow them to walk on the lawn, even as kids they never could. :dunno:

18. Machew

Machew

I try not to be anal about it.:dunno: It is just bad to look at and I just want to get it decent looking. We are going to try to sell and move in a couple of years and I don't want to wait until then to try to get it together. Thanks y'all.