close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SCOTTISH Whisky

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by JPhule, Sep 16, 2004.

1. JPhule

JPhule Gabh An Latha

For those who prefer the true "Water of Life", what brand or styles do you prefer?

I like to stick with the Single Malts, I'm not a big fan of blends.

In no particular order for me: I like Glenlivet as a starting point. The French Oak aged Glenlivet is good too.

Cragganmore is better than Glenlivet for a speyside, but also more expensive and sometimes hard to find. (around here anyway)

I am almost done with a bottle of Dalwhinne and I really like how oaky and smokey it is.

Bonus question: What is the oldest Scotch you have tasted? How was it?

I figured with the Polish Vodka thread, that we needed to branch out.

2. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

never had scotch, but i do enjoy the occasional whiskey.

HATE maker's mark.

LOVE to sip on a Beam on the rocks

Jack is okay sometimes

if i want to get drunk off whiskey, i drink Canadian Club...doesn't have much taste or flavor to still taste the next day.

i rarely drink whiskey, however. more than a few years ago i used to drink Black Velvet on the rocks, and it isn't horrid...but i'm not goin back!

3. JPhule

JPhule Gabh An Latha

There is a difference between Scotch Whisky, Irish Whiskey and American Whiskeys, bourbon or otherwise.

Scotch is generally distilled from barley that has been warmed with burning peat bricks, which helps give it an intense, smoky flavor. By Law (not sure whose law though) only Whisky that has been aged for 8 (or 10?) or more years may be called Scotch.

I don't mind Whiskey, but I really prefer Whisky.

4. duckfsu

duckfsu Lifetime Member

Macallan.

Oldest I've had was some 50 year, it was amazing.

Pricy though... I generally stick to Jack.

5. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

i hear ya on that. from what i've heard, scotch is much more an acquired taste than whiskey is...and certainly no mixer! ;)

i have whiskey on the rocks *maybe* twice a year. scotch would prolly be too much for me :)

all the scotches i've seen have been aged at least 12 years (dunno about the 'law' though).

a little fyi, just in case ya didn't know...whiskey, scotch, etc. only ages in the barrel...it doesn't age any more once its bottled. makes perfect sense when ya think about it, but when people buy whiskey and store it for years before they drink it, ya gotta let them know not to!

6. Radiac

Radiac Got Jacks?

In our cabinet...

12 year old Glenlivet and 12 year old Glen Moray for sippin'.

If you need water or club soda with your scotch, you get Johnnie Walker Red ;f

7. saluki9

saluki9

I drink Glenlivit 12 as my "everyday" scotch. I did get a bottle of Glenfiddich 18 as a gift, and it is wonderful.

My other favorite so far is Johhny Walker Blue label. My good friend bought be two glasses at $40 each on the night of my bachelor party, I wish I had more time to savor it.

8. J.B. McQ

J.B. McQ

Have a bottle of Glenfiddich here though while I don't hit it too often, it is what I toast with at Burns Night and St. Andrew's Night!

9. tjpet

tjpet

Never been much of a Scotch drinker.

Three fingers of George Dickel on the rocks with a splash of water floats my boat.

10. axel

axel Nov. 11, 1918

I toured the Glenfiddich distillery several years ago on a Sunday morning. Was amazed at the number of elderly local women taking the tour. Must have been a dozen of them. Found out at the end of the tour they give away free one shot glass of whiskey only on the Sunday morning tour. I don't care for hard liquor so one of the ladies asked the guide if she could have mine. Turns out they show up every Sunday. Gotta love the Scots!

11. Venator

Venator non serviam

Bowmore and Balvenie are probably my favorites, although it is very hard to say since there really are a great many good single malts out there and each of them has its own unique character. Some friends of mine and I went in on a bottle of 30 year old Springbank once. It was worth the price.

12. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

IMO all the expensive single malts are great.

The trick is to find a single malt that won't put one in the poor house.

You might try Dalmore (from Whyte and Mackay) "Cigar Malt".......maybe $35 for 750ml.

BTW-a Euro-friend offered several Scotch tips:
    1. Try these galsses.....
    http://www.scotchdoc.com/tsd/shoppe/taster.html or something similar or Brandy glasses.
    2. Try one part distilled water (room temp.) to two parts Scotch.
    Scotch above roughly 40-50 final proof is too stong to smell and taste fully.

13. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

I've got a bottle of Grants at home. Decided to try it once after I read the label and discovered it was made by the same distillery that makes Glenfiddich. While not as smooth it is pretty decent. And not nearly as expensive, $14 for a 750ml bottle.

14. big grip

big grip APC & Proud!

I used to be a highland/lowland scotch for a long time. I’ve since switched to small batch bourbons. Taste great with a sweet finish and I don’t pay for the boat ride, tariff and vogue factor.

15. Mwildt

Mwildt

i grew up a stones throw from the Jim Beam plant. ick...the smell of nash in the morning is horrid.

for some reason if we ever drink whiskey it's from the bottom shelf...Kentucky Tavern/Gentelman, Early Times...fun nights but the next day is shot. ;g

16. jwb

jwb

I thank my major professor for introducing me to single malts and the subtle differences bewteen them. He had occasion to travel and brought home a new discovery every trip.

Anyone ever try "Sheep Dip"? ;O)

17. groverglock

groverglock Guns & Hoses

18. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

;z ;z ;z

Rick they will live more than 100 years for sure ;)

I hope it's ok with GT rules...

[​IMG]

19. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

I had 45-year old McPhail’s in an old hunting lodge-turned hotel on the Isle of Skye. It was a religious conversion experience that transformed me into a Scotch worshiper.

It cost £2 per nip and I spent the better part of £70 ‘testing’ it before I left. I remember the bartender pouring my first glass and placing it with great care in front of me, then gently admonishing, “Dinna poot neh water innit.” ;L

;i

20. D25

D25 The Quick

Laphroig 15 or Bunahabbin(sp?). Tastes like chewing on old saddle leather covered in moss, in a good way. I don't really care for the younger Laphroig.

I also like Balvennie, especially the double wood, as well as Dalwinnie.