Scott Adams and the tactical error in Trump's Ukraine defense

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by IvanVic, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IvanVic

IvanVic

Scott Adams mentioned this yesterday and it was mentioned again today on Shapiro's podcast. The correct move from the beginning was to point out the simple fact that pressuring a foreign government into investigating election fraud is not illegal. Withholding foreign aid to accomplish this is not illegal or impeachable.

Instead, Trump claimed there was no quid pro quo. Scott Adams rightly predicted that eventually something would come out, true or not, that alluded to this quid pro quo, and would inevitably put Trump in an awkward spot of having to say something like "okay, I did it, but it wasn't illegal or impeachable." This is clearly less favorable than the other strategy.

Scroll down to the audio player and skip to 5:20 for the beginning of this topic, and 6:28 he addressed the specific strategic error.

https://www.scottadamssays.com/2020...t-adams-the-bolton-bombshell-and-coronavirus/

Is this error material? He won't be convicted in the Senate, but the prevailing prediction is that the error will likely lead to spineless senate republicans allowing witnesses.

Kablam and czsmithGT like this.
  2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Scott Adams may not be the sharpest tool in the shed.

Example - the mayor says "hey would you volunteer on my reelection campaign?" Perfectly legal. The mayor says, "hey, I'm going to recommend against the zoning change you wanted." Perfectly legal. The mayor says, "volunteer on my reelection campaign or I'll recommend you don't get that zoning change." Not legal. How hard was that? It is the "quid pro quo" that can take 2 perfectly legal things and make them illegal when combined.

orangejeep06 likes this.

3. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

And none of that matters.
    The democrats would paste together something.
    And after the election, they will paste together some new BS impeachment.
    :)

B C, Willard and orangejeep06 like this.
  4. IvanVic

IvanVic

You're the first person I've heard make that claim.

It is not illegal to pressure a foreign government into investigating corruption, even if that pressure means withholding funds. There was never anything illegal or impeachable about that. What is illegal/impeachable would be to withhold foreign aid for personal gain in an attempt to influence an upcoming election. These are not the same things. Just because the corruption involved a political opponent who is running for president doesn't mean it was the primary reason for the investigation.

You are arguing the point of the democrats, verbatim. Your claim implies that it's impossible for there to be a quid pro quo without it being illegal/impeachable.

JArthurD likes this.
  5. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

This times 100. That's why the defense had to show Trumps "probable cause" to ask for the investigation...

Democrats had to repeat over and over again that the "Biden thing has been debunked" because without that little lie being accepted as truth, their entire case for abuse of power goes out the window.

The media has done a MASTERFUL job at playing the Democrat's violin. That the NYT can write about Bolton's manuscript on the day that the defense starts their arguments is absurd, but what's more absurd is how effective the rest of the media is that it created an entire campaign about "Call Bolton as a witness or else Republican's are complicit in a coverup."

In the MIDDLE of the freakin' trial! OVER the defense. And it just happened to be the day that defense tore Biden a new hole and collapsed the Democrat's case but the sheep don't care.

It's just sick.

Officer's Match likes this.
  6. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Pam Biondi Just screwed the democrats chance at any election ,if we actually had a media ,they would be #1 outraged that they were duped and played so easily, #2 be following up on her brief.
    but they seem to be too vapid to admit they were played for 8 years, I am telling you a righteous and honest news network would clean up with the right backing.

Officer's Match, Teecher45 and robhic like this.
  7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You are right. First, you have to have the quid pro quo, but then it has to have been for the purpose of influencing the election, not just the purpose of having the crime investigated. That's where the Democrat problem really lies, is they have no evidence of the corrupt motive, other than that would be the natural result of investigating the crime. If that is enough, then pretty much anybody who announces they are running for office would have immunity from prosecution.

It seems it me the real dividing line would be whether he demanded a legitimate investigation or demanded an anti-Biden result. Since the Dems have only claimed he demanded an investigation, it's still a loser.

pjanthony and Berto like this.
  8. Berto

Berto woo woo

I'd think most would actually expect a pres to investigate corruption/graft under these circumstances, and Biden, still lacking DNC nomination is essentially nobody.

pjanthony likes this.
  9. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

Can we burn the beltway to the ground and start over?

Cambo and Officer's Match like this.
  10. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

He's pretty smart at manipulating people on the internet to keep his name trending. First he makes waves with a tease tweet (redirecting to his blog, of course) claiming Trump is a super-sly genius, plays 4Dchess, hair is real ... whatever. He gets traffic and retweets like mad. Next day, new tweet says Trump's achilles heel, Trump's crucial error, chink in the Trump armor ... whatever. He gets traffic and retweets like mad.

Rinse, repeat. He's been riding the Trump phenomenon like a gnarly dude since 2016.

pjanthony likes this.
  11. porschedog

porschedog

Pam Biondi is amazing.

Officer's Match likes this.
  12. GWSHARK

GWSHARK BITEYAHEADOFF

13. Dave Brubaker

Dave Brubaker