close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scotch Drinkers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Sep 6, 2013.

1. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

Laphroiag Quater Cask is my personal favorite. Like the 10 too but the quarter has that slight bit more touch of vanilla sweet to it. I've got a bottle of the Triple Wood and 18, but I agree with an earlier comment. They are getting too soft, especially the 18. Far too pricey too for me to ever buy them again.

If I want something sweeter I go with Dalmore or maybe LaSanta. Glenfarclass is a real good single for when I want a dram of something down the middle. Like when I'm not hankerin' one extreme or the other.

A couple weeks ago I tried the Balvanie Doublewood 12. Wow. I was really surprised by the multiple layers and complexity. Too bad it's so expensive, for me anyway. From now on I will ALWAYS have a bottle of it on hand. But I'll be drinking it sparingly.

2. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I've had B17 several times a good friend drinks it almost exclusively. Bluntly, for $100 I'd spend $55/60 on a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask, it's awesome in its own right and a bargain at its price.
    But if you don't like a full slug of peat LQC won't work. If that's so, for $100 I'd buy a bottle of Highland Park 18. HP18 is a big and more bold scotch than B17 but its just straight up better too - a huge expressive nose, deep, very rich, carmel, leather, a little fruit, a little peat. It's just awesome.

3. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I've not even seen that. I expect a full report when you're ready.

4. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Every time I'm thinking you GT jack-arses are beyond help some one lets me know there is a glimmer of hope. That's a world class scotch.

5. bovw

bovw

I had not either. 2500 bottles only available at the distillery or online. BIL found it for her as I hadn't had a Bruichladdich yet. Christmas, or possibly Marine Corps birthday at earliest.

6. bovw

bovw

How does that compare to the Corryvreckan?

7. 2bgop

2bgop

Which 17? I think there are several, they do a different 17 year release every year. The Caribbean and Madeira cast 17s are very good, not sophisticated by any means, but I like them both.

Edit: Sorry, I see you actually said which in one you were talking about, I missed it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  8. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Solera Reserve (15yo) is my fav.

9. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

So, there I am, sitting by a crackling fire, savoring my Bunnahabhain 18 Year Old in a crystal rocks glass that I had run through an autoclave using deionized water and then allowed to cool for 36 hours to room temperature. The Single Malt's aroma, heady. The burn, exquisite. But the finish was somehow lacking... something. Fortunately, my son had left a bag of gummy bears on the mantle, and the heat of the fire had rendered them soft and delectably squishy. I dropped in a watermelon and a lime, swirled three times, and, BOOM, sipped instant perfection.

10. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

You know you're going to hell for that? Right? Right?:wavey:

ps.

Pretty sure you're joking but if not... My ex-son-in-law saw a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black of mine one time and asked if he could have some. I said, "Sure but if you want something better try this 12 yo Balvenie Doublewood". He said, "Cool, now do you have some Coke or Pepsi I can mix it with?" I snatched my bottle of Balvenie back and gave him the Johnnie Walker Black and said, "Here. Go ask your wife in the kitchen to get you some". He was a little miffed but did it. Now I've never mixed Coke and single malt scotch but it sounds like you might like it. Won't know until you try it eh?

11. clancy

clancy

You guys know nothing about Scotch unless you have had Glenfarcas 1955. Awesomely smooth, the slightest hints of apple, peat and the armpits of 23 year old, red haired Scottish laundresses , and one cannot truly enjoy it unless one uses fresh cut ice from a Norwegian fjord, combined with no less than 5, and nor more than 7, drops of pure limestone filtered water from the same caves that Basil Hayden Bourbon is made with. Water from a small creek in the northwestern section of the Carpathian Mountains runs a close second, and while I have tried various ices from all over the world(ice blended in a 67-33 mix from the Himalayans and Pyrenees Mountains runs a very distant second, and I can still taste the foulness from ice made from Tahitian water) only ice cut from Norwegian fjords should be used.

12. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

My preference is neat, with a drop of water, never any ice, ever. When possible, from the quaich.

[​IMG]

13. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

:wavey: The wife and I enjoy this throughout the winter months.

14. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Yeah, E2E we toured the Old Whisky Trail in the Scottish highlands a few years back, stayed in Pitlochry just down the street from The Edradour Distillery, this scotch is outstanding, I don't much care for age or fame, to me it's what I like. I managed to run across a bottle locally of their un-chill filtered, that was mis-priced, what a treat. I always keep this in the bar during the winter months.

15. CBennett

CBennett

yup, but im the exact opposite..I like anything thats NOT got a strong peat or iodine taste to it. Im more of a Balvenie double wood guy(or anything similar to that)

right now ive got a bit of Macallan and Glenmorangie. next will probably be something like Dalwhinnie or maybe my old standard Balvenie double wood..I cant get enough of that stuff..so far ive not found anything I like better.

16. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

I thought the same thing with my first ever Islay, Lagavulin 16.
    Why would anyone drink this crap, it tastes like…iewwww.

Let me try it again….

um….

half a bottle later….

It is the most bizarre thing in the world. But it grows on you. I suggest it while a football game is on to distract you a little. A single ice cube might help. Sip. ponder. Put it down. Go back to it. by the second glass you're liking it. Third you're looking forward to it.

Then stop. Because its 70-100 a bottle depending on where you buy it.

17. brianfede

brianfede

Has anyone tried Finlaggan Islay Old Reserve Single Malt? It's peaty and IMHO a great bargain at around $30. Additionally, Costco has a Speyside Single Malt 20 year Sherry Cask finish for $42. Comes from Alexander Murray & Co, Aberdeen , Scotland. Its also very good.

Originally Posted by G29Reload [​IMG]
    I would dearly love to know if Balvenie Doublewood 17 is worth it….$100+ as opposed to the 12 which is in the $50's.

I have had both and for the money I think its hard to beat the 12 year for $50. For $100 I don't think 17 year would be in my top 10 for spirits at that price.

18. SVTNate

SVTNate Packers fan

I prefer the Corryvreckan.

In fact, it's one of my favorite Islays.

Bruichladdich makes some great malts as well. I really like the Laddie 10, and their Islay Barley 2006.

19. bovw

bovw

I have yet to find a whisky that I like as much as the Corryvreckan.

20. RHVEtte

RHVEtte

I don't really drink Scotch, too rich for my blood, but someone bought me a glass of Balvenie Double Wood (I think) once, and it was delicious. Looking it up online, it seems I can get a bottle for about $50, which isn't too bad. That site offers Redbreast 12, my standard whiskey for $60, so I might have to shop around and see if I can find that Balvenie somewhere else for less. I know I've picked up Redbreast for $45.