close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scoring question

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by johnhurd, Aug 6, 2012.

1. johnhurd

johnhurd Millennium Member

scoring receipt shows one target on "M" short one hit\miss the shooter signed and didn't notice, what is usually done at HQs when they run the numbers???

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

GSSF will apply a 10 point penalty for the unrecorded hit because the shooter signed the card as being correct. It is the shooter's responsibility to examine the score before signing.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

3. johnhurd

4. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Many folks can be intimidated by the RO scoring targets but here is a trick that can maybe at least save you 10 seconds:

Walk back with the RO and, as you approach the target COUNT the bullet holes on the target (there should be six for all double tapped) to ensure they all hit. If you don't see six, start looking for a double hit (one hole that could be two) and check around the outer parameter of the target for nicks!

Don't ask how I learned this. Nobody likes misses.:crying:

5. johnhurd

This was the next day neither the RO or the shooter caught it I saw it when the shooter sent me his scores.....................

6. ede

ede Bama's Friend

I've had GSSF give me credit for hits that weren't recorded, nor were they scored as a miss, simply not socred one way or the other.

7. SARDG

SARDG

I've repeatedly seen that regarding the popper in M. Paper? dunno...

8. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

If there is any question on a double hit. Have the RO pull the target. And have the range master say yes or no.

9. SARDG

SARDG

...OR, and pursuant to RO Notes on each Course of Fire in The Glock Report:
    "Benefit of the doubt is awarded to the competitor."

Typically, if a scorekeeper has to look at it more than 2 or 3 seconds to make a decision, it goes to the shooter. Bryan Dover took a Mike though during his last match, as no one could spot a double or a 6th hit.

I remember a scorekeeper at Reevesville making some questionable calls on some of my targets where I certainly would have given me the benefit (he had to look for 10+ seconds and get 2nd and 3rd opinions) - but I didn't argue. Still won a gun in that Division! Ya' just never know.

10. unclebob

Yes, but you have some RO that have not heard or read the rules. I have even had a RO tell me if I touched the target again that he would DQ me.

11. ede

ede Bama's Friend

When I work the Plates and RO Bama he gets 6 hits with sub 3 seconds runs, but I do make him fire 6 rounds just to make it look like he's really done something.

The few times I RO a paper stage for most shooters if they're anywhere near a line I give the higher score. I sure do spend much time trying to figure out if it is on or touching the line.

12. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

do you really make bama paste the plates?

13. kyglockshooter 2.0

kyglockshooter 2.0

Thats just because bryan was showing how he can make two bullets go through the same hole and only make it look like one hole. Its his fault for being able to do that. Just kidding. When i cant find a round on the target i always check the target and if i cant find it ill accept the mike.

14. SARDG

SARDG

That's because in other disciplines, if the competitor touches the target, they can be DQed. I have had 'kids' helping to score GSSF who come up to the target and punch at each hole with their finger while counting - some of the kids are 30 or 40 years old. Anyway, that destroys the hole for critical examination and scoring. Therefore, everyone who does that when I RO, gets told about it. We are afterall, introducing new shooters to the world of [real] competition.

15. SARDG

SARDG

We can only hope that the shooters are reasonable...

16. unclebob

In the 13/14 years I have been shooting and ROing Glock matches, I don’t think that I ever had a person try to punch holes in the D-1 target with their finger or anything else. If the person target looks like it was shot with a shotgun I well look a little closer. If they have a nice little group. I don’t even think twice about the 6th hole or even third hole in case of Maj Sub. The one’s I’m more careful with are the Master class shooters for obvious reasons. I’m also very lenient on scoring when they are close to the line. If the person does not like my call, I just pull the target. I think that has only happened once.

17. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

I have Ede weld the plates unless I shot them with 10mm, at which point he just cuts more plates.:tongueout:

18. SARDG

SARDG

Not punch holes IN them Bob - the holes are already there. Scorer's 'count' the shots by poking at each hole - sometimes with significant force. This potentially enlarges and distorts the hole - ergo the DQ in some shooting sports. I can honestly say that in my ~2 years of shooting and ROing GSSF, and without any exaggeration whatsoever, that I have never had a match where people don't do this - even dozens of people over a weekend period. It seems our experiences are different... :)

My procedure(s) as well - except no one touches the target prior to scoring or I tell them about it! :embarassed:

19. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Be near the targets and just over the ROs shoulder. If you see a different score than he calls out, draw his attention to the discrepancy before they get taped.

Make sure your hits add up before you sign the score sheet.

20. unclebob

Must be your winning personality.