close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

scoring better with a 17 over a 34

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by misunderestimated, Aug 24, 2011.

1. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

I had shared this is another thread

"But for some reason .I shot worse then my last event +7 seconds in Civ shooting my 17
    And +10 seconds in comp shooting my 34 .I don’t understand the dynamics of it, but I consistently score better with my sons 17 then my 34. We have been to the range at least once a week since Fulton and I have been using my 35 thinking the higher recoil would make it easier to shoot the smaller 9MM .So I am not sure why I shot worse this time.

I always feel I shoot better at my range then I score at an event. But the scores don't lie and I accept that.
    I absolutely know its me and not the gun.I know I am down and to the left so I think I am trying to push the shot
    Does anybody have any insight on what I may be doing wrong
    Both connectors are "Glock -"
    I set the guns real low in the crotch of my hand
    same front sight on both guns
    Sometimes it feels as if the 34 is flailing in my hand as it seems to take longer to get back on my front site on shot 2. if you look at Jasons Recent video of the the warm up round his gun seems attached to his arms and doesn't raise up at all

I may have to invest in a camera to start figuring out what I am doing wrong

Thanks Larry

Danny if this is not the correct forum just let me know and I will move it

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

there isn't any real difference in accuracey between the two. for me the 17 size guns transition quicker, and are quicker to the first shot. i played around with a timer and a couple of guns several years ago and the standard gun beat the long slide on first shot and overall time, splits were sort of mixed but generally favord the standard frame. didn't really score my targets but generally they were the same.

3. MajorD

MajorD

While sight radius (the longer the better) has long been considered an advantage in target sports (that is why you see older bullseye guns with extendable front sights) For whatever reason I have not seen this transfer over to glocks. I had a 35 and several 17's but now am shooting real well(just bump to master class) with a glock 19.
    of all the glocks I've had I shoot the 19 the best. I have heard it said the most inherently accurate glocks are the subcompacts so I'm going to run a 26 exclusively next GSSF season and see what happens. Often enough the matchmeister score is shot with a subcompact

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Tis my considered opinion that the '-' connector is not the way to go, the 5.5 connector gives a more crisp let off, and a shorter reset.

I too consistently shoot my G17 better than the longslide guns. I can only presume that it is because I started with the G17 and have used it MUCH more than any other......?

5. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

Thank you guys for the input

I actually never shoot the 17 except in the GSSF competition . I purchased this gun for my son.I think its a gen 3 with the Rough texture grip

The gun that I consistently shoot best is my EDC G30sf with pierce pinky extension that gun fits my hand perfectly.I think I will try and compete with that and see what happens. It has stock Glock night sites

6. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

I First bought a glock 34, Then before my first GSSF (Dayton OH 5-11) bought a 17 upper to fit on my 34 frame for Civillian. I shoot my 34 a little better. I have the exact same grip/trigger pull for both because they share a lower and the sights are the same on both. That being said I usually have 4 to 10 seconds less penalties with my 34.

Like many others, I also put a stock 5.5 lb glock connector in my 34 lower. I like the shorter reset and crisper break.

Just my experience hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  7. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

My USPSA Limited gun has been a Gen4 35 since December '10. The slide was recalled, so I shipped it back to Glock for replacement. In the mean time I tossed my Gen3 22 slide on the Gen4 frame.

My times were faster and scores higher. My new limited rig is now a Gen4 22. My Gen4 35 is for sale.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  8. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

Thanks again every one

I am going to put more time in with the 17 to see what happens

9. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

So last night I shot the blank connector 5.5 in my 34 and I could not feel a difference in the trigger is it some thing every one can feel

When I install a + connector I can defiantly feel it like night and day

I almost had my trigger finger and the one next to it bit off by a German Shepard when I was a child and they told me it had nerve damage,This is maybe why I cant feel it

I also dry fired my other glocks

G17 probably feels the smoothest and does not have a ramp as described below (5000 plus rounds)

G30sf feels like butter with a short reset (Just under 5000 rounds)

G26 same as above

34 has a hard snap on trigger fire (5000 plus rounds)

My g27 and g35 both 40'S feel like my S&W 686 trigger like there is sand in them or grit. It hard to explain but I think you guys will understand

As your pulling the trigger the tension kinda builds on a sharp ramp as the closer you get to release the harder it gets till it just snaps and goes off

My G27 probably has only 500 break in rounds max thru it and the G35 is coming up on 1000 rounds

10. Buski

Buski

Personally, I have always shot more "accurately" w/the shorter barrel Glocks. My G30, being the most "accurate" pistol I own.

Shorter barrels are "stiffer". The shorter guns "cycle" faster. They have great potential to be very fast & extremely accurate.

Good shooting

11. GlockinRandall

GlockinRandall Member

I agree Buski. I thought I was crazy at first, but it seems like my 30 is the most accurate one I have.

12. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

I do have to say that I typically shoot better overall with my G17 versus my G34 at the GSSF shoots. They are both GEN 3s with Glock 4.5# connectors and have the same sight setup, while the G17 has Talon grit grips and the G34 has the rubber Tractiongrips. I don't get much other range time so I am equally unpracticed with both of them - but the G17 typically shaves a few seconds off in each GSSF event.

PS: But I like them equally, so they are both staying with me. :supergrin:

13. SARDG

SARDG

Shot pins today and due to a 'mix-up' in what I brought, and what I thought I was bringing to the range, I ended up shooting my G30 in Centerfire/Stock. I was .02 of a second faster with my G30, than my next fastest time ever when using my G24.

Also had my personal best in HvyMtl at Conyers with that G30.