close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

scores seem really low lately!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by S.Kargoh, Mar 27, 2012.

1. PM720

PM720

Hey Kitty, if you loading to support a Gatling I am guessing your next match will be next year sometime? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Scott

2. SARDG

SARDG

Okay wise guys and gals, I fear I have given you all the wrong impression by completing only 13 rounds during my first week and a half of reloading... I am up to 25 solid rounds/week now. :faint:

3. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

:steamed:

Laugh it up, SARDineGirl!

I'm gonna build a race gun, and with my race gun, I'll shoot the fastest of anyone with a race gun. My race gun will make me the fastest race gunner this side of the mississippi.

Then you'll see!
    :whistling:

4. SARDG

SARDG

Aha SnailMan... but I am east of the Mississippi with the likes of Mike G35. No easy task to beat Mike G35 and his racers, partner!!

5. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

Amen to that Danny!
    Before I got out of the game, I and the rest og the guys I shot GSSf with, would practice every sunday.I would shoot an average of 400 to 600 rds each sunday.
    We would have one of each stage set-up, And shoot it as though we were at a real match.

Like Danny says practuice with a purpose, Working on trigger control, sight picture, stance, and all the physical aspect of the game, Dont forget the mental aspect.

The one thing I lived by while shooting GSSf is "shooting is 10 percent physical,90 percent mental."

One training tool, that always helped me, When not shooting, While sitting watching TV or doing anything besides shooting, I would picture the match in my minds eye and I would actually shoot the match in my mind,Its hard to explain,but I would picture the targets in my mind my sights on the target everypart of the match as if I were really there.

I dont know if I made any sense,but that was my mental training tool. And for me it worked.

Jeff

6. PM720

PM720

Made sense to me. I beleive they call it visualization. Very common in sports today. I have heard Olympic bobsled drivers run the whole course through their head before the run and I know racers that do the same thing.

Scott

7. ede

ede Bama's Friend

No one can shoot Plates like Mike, only a fool would bet aginst him.

8. OrGlocker

OrGlocker

But here's my challenge and that is the range that I belong to will not allow to set up and practice as in a GSSF match. Very limited only 10, 25 & 50 yard range. You can "Dry-Fire" all you want but if you want to get good enough to "Win" you need to practice the accutal COF.

9. PM720

PM720

Yeah, I have the same problem, no where close by to practice on the plates. As I shoot more 25 yards at the indoor range I am doing better there and I do practice trasitioning to the targets a bit. I have to drive an hour to get to BLM land where I can set up my own COF.

Scott

10. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Really? I don't think so.
    I have two seconds, and multiple thirds... I've missed first by less than 2 seconds. And 99.5% of my practice has been at an indoor range. One lane, one cardboard target.

I have gotten to set up a 5 to Glock maybe 3 or 4 times ever, that's it. The Glock M *never*. I don't even practice plate racks and have shot 14.xx times on it.

While it might help to be able to setup the actual COFs... it is certainly not necessary.

The skills required to win?

• A quick first shot on target.
    • Quick controlled pairs (call it double-taps, whatever).
    • Ability to transition from one target to another.
    • Accuracy at distance

ALL things you can practice on one lane at an indoor range. You need to design drills that will help you with all the above.

1. Start from low ready and try to get gun up on the target quickly, getting off an accurate shot
    2. Practice shooting controlled pairs. Using the smallest target possible. I can do all that at 10 yards. I use an 8" target, then I use a 3.5" target. I have to shoot slower at that one, it simulates 25 yards. I can shoot the 8" target faster, it simulates the 10-15 yard targets.
    3. I can put one 8x10 sheet of paper on left of cardboard and another on right. Controlled pair on left then transition to right and repeat.

Don't handicap yourself by thinking "you need" to setup the exact COF to excel. Shooting a COF well is nothing but breaking the individual components down and then practicing them until you're very good at them. You WON'T be a winner unless you have a BOAT load of rounds downrange, I can tell you that.

I've probably shot 45,000 rounds in the last 3 years, and still haven't won. Maybe I'm a slow learner, I dunno. I once heard somebody say, "If you shoot 20,000 rounds per year.... all you get is good". Maybe it can be done with less. But I've shot a 60.xx, and see some mid 50's in my future. I *will* win, sooner or later.

Lastly... if you're not reloading, you're either rich or not serious about your shooting. I can reload 100 rounds for $10.50 or so.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  11. JTSmith

JTSmith Œgfdrïńëçł

Is 4,500 in a year a boat load? Lol

You should've shot subcompact at Griffin. A 60.2 was good enough for the win there. It was probably because the top two from AmCiv didn't enter, but whatever. Gotta take it anyway you can.

That attitude is probably more important than the practice itself.