close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scopes for Bolt action rifle?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Psychman, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

Ok I bought the Savage Hunter in .308 from Buds. Now I need a scope. What do you all have to recommend for a mid price range scope for hunting purposes. I dont need the best, but I also dont want junk. Thanks for your help.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

2. TPK

TPK

You may want to check out the Bushnell Elite 3200, I've been very happy with mine.

3. The Habit

The Habit كافر

I've been really happy with the Nikon Prostaff line. I have a Prostaff 3-9x40 on my Mossberg 100ATR and my Ruger M77. I think each one cost me about $150.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  4. Psychman

Do scopes come with with mounting rings? This will be my first scoped rifle so I am clearly a novice.

5. got_metal

got_metal

Leupold Rifleman series. Very solid construction, great eye relief, very clear picture, and backed by their full lifetime warranty. I also went with Leupold mounts and rings, which are very solid. I have this on my Stevens 200 in 30-06 and it holds zero perfectly after hundreds of rounds. This is my only scope setup so I dont have others to compare to, but I have heard good things about the Bushnell Elite series as well.

6. The Habit

The Habit كافر

Most scopes do not come with mounting rings. Mine sure didn't. Like scope suggestions, you'll get a lot of ring suggestions as well. Me? I prefer Burris Zee rings. They have concentric plastic inserts which don't mar the scope finish (if that kind of thing is important to you) but, more importantly, they offer additional adjust-ability with the off-set insert kit.

7. got_metal

got_metal

For the most part scopes dont come with rings, unless you happen to find some sort of package deal somewhere. I recommend not going cheap on mounts or rings either, they are equally as important as the scope. As I said before, Leupold makes excellent mounts and rings, even if you dont get a Leupold scope, their mounting hardware is top notch and not that expensive.

8. guyandarifle

guyandarifle

How much money are we talking? I can vouch for the aforementioned Elite 3200. The Zeiss Conquest is a lot of scope for what they're asking (I've got 2) but it's more than the Elite. I've known several people pretty happy with their Nikon Buckmasters.

If you are really looking for the best glass at a lower price you could consider a fixed as opposed to a variable.

9. Psychman

So the Leupold mounts and rings would work with the Nikon scopes?

10. fgutie35

fgutie35

Starting with the low end decent hunting scope to the mid, I would put them in this order: Simmons Aetec, Mueller APV or Sport Dot, Weaver Grand Slam, Bushnell Elite Series, Nikon Monarch, and Burris Full Field II.

11. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

I have strayed from Leupold in the past, but I keep coming back. Not the best, but a good value. I can't remember which series I have on my hunting rifle... VX III? I have a few and can't remember. :embarassed:

I'd look at a variable power 3-9 scope for hunting. One inch tube is fine. Skip the 30mm tube unless you are looking at a really long range rifle.

Don't skimp on the glass. Spend your money up front or you'll spend more in the long run.

12. Kozel

Kozel

Shepherd.

One of a kind scope. I have two of them. V1 and P1. No other scope you can look through and know for sure if your zero is OK after carrying, bumping, dropping your rifle. Also the range finding really works well

http://shepherdscopes.com/

13. Psychman

Nice looking scopes, but the cost of one of these would exceed what I paid for the rifle. :supergrin:

14. Kozel

Kozel

Good scope often costs as much as a rifle or more. You get what you paid for. For long range shooting el cheapo scopes just do not cut it.

Look on E-bay. Some times you can get a good deal on Shepherd there.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr..._nkw=shepherd+scope&_sacat=See-All-Categories

For 308 you would probably need P2 or V2

15. got_metal

got_metal

Yes Leupold mounts and rings will work on scopes other than Leupold scopes, just make sure you get the right size rings for the scope you get (1" rings for a 1" tube etc) I havent been to opticsplanet.com in awhile but thats where I bought mine from, cheapest I could find at the time.

16. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

removed because I asked a stupid question

17. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

OK, don't forget about parallax. This causes more angst among new scope users than anything else. You want to be able to, at 100 yards, move your head and have the crosshairs stay on the exact same spot on the target. Most (if not all) decent scopes allow you to adjust for that. Don't rely on the indexing on the tube. You have to set your rifle on a steady bench and adjust manually, moving your head side to side and turning the ring until the cxhairs stay on one spot. I've seen guys agonize over what seems to be inaccurate ammo or an inaccurate rifle and burn up alot of ammo trying to get an accurate brand or bullet weight. I adjust the parallax and the group size becomes 1/2 of what it was before!!

18. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

Once you get your scope.....
    1. bore sight it in @ 25 yards. Set up a sandbag rest, look through the bore and, as close as you can, get the crosshairs and the center of the bore aligned.
    2. Fire one shot at 25 yards. You should be on the paper.
    3. With your rifle on the sandbag and the crosshairs on the center of the target, (rifle is in same position as first shot) adjust your crosshairs to be exactly on your bullet hole in the paper. You will now be sighted in very closely with only one shot expended!
    4. Then fire a 3 shot group at 25 yards and adjust for that. Dead on @ 25 yds is the goal.
    5. With your 308, if you shoot dead on @ 25 yards you should print about 2" high at 100 yds, be right on @ 200 yards and maybe 2" low @ 250 or so. You can check your trajectory table for the weight and ballistics of what load you're firing.
    6. Fire 3 or 5 shot groups @ 100 yards to get it dialed in. For hunting, a 3 shot group should suffice. Be sure and let your barrel cool down between shots. 2" to 3" high@ 100 yards is recommended for most hunting situations. Sighting in this way will save you alot of wasted ammo!

Lastly, I like to get a trajectory table and wind drift for whichever ammo I am shooting, printed on a small piece of paper, laminate it, and tape it to my stock. That way, if I see a target at, say 250 yards, in a 15 kt crosswind, all the adjustment I need is right there, no guessing!

19. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

I hope I don't beat this to death......for years, I had good peep sights on my hunting rifles and they worked fine. Adjustable for elevation and windage. 1000 yard competition still uses peep sights. I always felt I had an advantage in that the crosshair wasn't jumping around enticing me to jerk the trigger. For hunting, I prefer lower power, like 2 1/2x to maybe 4x for the same reason. Long range hunters for decades used peep sights and they killed alot of game!

20. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

I agree, Nikon is what you want.