scope shot?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Tommy Gun, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun CLM

I have a Tasco, 3x9, 32mm. scope mounted on my Rem 700bdl. It has been around for a bout 12 years. As I was refocusing it the other day I thought I may have loosend it up too much and let air/moisture enter the scope. So I put the scope in the refrigerator freezer for a test to see if condensation obscured the sight. I have never done this before but I read somewhere that this is how to test a scope for moisture so a foggy scope won't ruin your hunt some cold morning.

Well I never saw ice inside the scope but I can't get the unit to focus so I can see clearly. No fog but everything is a blur. As I attempt to aim my rifle I can see double images and the rectical will shift depending on how hard I squint my eye. It still holds its aim point though. Is this what happens when moisture gets into a scope? Am I not focusing it properly? Or is the scope shot?

Thanks in advance for any asistance....

2. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Sounds like the scope's shot!

3. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun CLM

I disposed of the Tasco and purchased a new Leupold vx2. A much brighter scope then the last one. I sighted it in and even tried different makes of ammo to see which shot best in my Rem 700 BDL.

Hornaday Light mag shot 1”groups at 100 yards
    Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claw shot 1.5” groups @ 100 yards.
    Winchester & Federal standard hunting loads shot 2.0” groups at 100 yards.
    !!Remington Extended Range Core Loc shot 5”groups at 100 yards.!!!

I decided that I was ready for a better scope. I am glad I got it!!! ;a