Scooter repo guys hitting "dockless scooter" industry back.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Slackinoff, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

Interesting article about a couple of guys - "ScootScoop" repossessing these dockless scooters left on frustrated landlord's property.

"The same companies that had raised hundreds of millions of dollars working around any local permits or regulations are now demanding protections under the California Vehicle Code, asking a judge to intervene and save their dockless scooters from ScootScoop."

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/24/...bird-lyft-uber-razor?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  2. Slackinoff

In summary - don't be surprised when you adopt "Move fast and break things" and it one day spins around and bites you on the tush.

Atomic Punk and spork like this.

3. RenoF250

RenoF250

I was just reading that. Yeah, funny how the scooter guys think they get to put their crap everywhere for free. They need to get to work on deals with business owners for parking that charges the scooters. I cannot believe these scooters are profitable currently. They have to be fairly expensive and then there is a ton of data infrastructure to maintain them.

Atomic Punk, volky, hannstv and 2 others like this.
  4. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I agree completely. Far too many short sighted “business” people fail to understand that no matter how fast and loose they play, there are tons of others willing to take it further at their expense. In my business we see groups get tens of millions in funding together only to “conquer” a market not understanding that their over aggressive conquest phase is ruining the market for a period of time. They over pay for products, stealing business from would be competitors, then don’t have the capital to wait for the inevitable correction. They just drive prices up temporarily while everyone waits on them to go out of business.

The Wild West rental bike companies were shocked...shocked when Dallas started impounding bikes left all over the sidewalks and all over town. Many of the operators were unable to pay to get their bikes out of impound and limped away broke. E-scooter companies seem to have the same mentality. A sustainable business that will grow rarely starts with a banzai charge.

orangejeep06 and Slackinoff like this.
  5. PBCounty

PBCounty

People really ride those? It would be impossible to look cool riding one of those.

spork and Slackinoff like this.
  6. Slackinoff

IKR - the part where some areas have more scooters than people...

:animlol:

7. Slackinoff

You just can't get any cooler than Harry Potter himself riding said scooter with a lit cigarette. Yes, that really is Elijah Wood.

harry potter with cigy.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    PBCounty likes this.
  8. flyover

flyover

First world problem...

ranger1968 and BOOSTED12A like this.
  9. Slackinoff

Which brings up an interesting question in a moment of self reflection. Why are my solutions usually more 3rd world style?

Atomic Punk, R_P_K_ and flyover like this.
  10. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

I'm going to start 'collecting' free batteries for my diy Telsawall :thumbsup:

Willard, R_P_K_, Slackinoff and 2 others like this.
  11. fastbolt

fastbolt

Surprised someone hasn't been accused of littering or dumping by leaving one on someone's property or an easement.

PennsWoods likes this.
  12. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

About 6 of those were left in our parking lot, without any permission.

13. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

:animlol::animlol::animlol:
    https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/28/e-scooters-bikes-thrown-in-portland-river/

At least 57 e-scooters and bikes found at the bottom of Portland river
    Some were still in working order

Tony Markovich
    Jun 28th 2019 at 11:15AM

E-scooter rollout is going just swimmingly in Portland. In addition to pedestrian concerns about the scooters cluttering cities and a substantial number of scooter-related injuries, it seems companies such as Lime, Bird, and Razor have another problem. Their scooters are ending up at the bottom of Portland's Willamette River.

According to a report from The Oregonian newspaper, at least 57 e-scooters and bicycles were recently discovered and removed from the Willamette, which runs through the heart of Portland. Officials have no clues as to why the scooters were scuttled, but it's likely an act of protest against the increasingly popular-yet-annoying method of transportation. Scooters have been thrown in the Pacific Ocean or set on fire in Southern California, and a hacker in Australia loaded the scooters' voice boxes to deliver lewd and racist comments.
    ADVERTISEMENT

"We advise those people not to park scooters in the river," Sgt. Brandon White from the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office joked.

The team had to quit early because they needed a bigger boat! pic.twitter.com/hyeLP72PlA

— Multnomah Co Sheriff (@MultCoSO) June 26, 2019 The scooters were discovered by accident during a training session for the Multnomah County Sheriff's River Patrol and Dive Team. They showed various levels of decay — some were rusting, while others still had functioning lights. Ironically, had these not been found, the batteries could have been harmful to the river's ecosystem, which runs counter to the green ideology behind the scooters.
    The e-scooters are currently in the midst of their second trail run in Portland. The first was a four-month stint in 2018, and the second recently started in April 2019 for a longer one-year trial. According to The Seattle Times, Portland currently has about 1,975 scooters, short of the 2,500 scooters allowed, available for public use.

mike from st pe likes this.
  14. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I know of a large parking lot that is popular with these scooters in Salt Lake. It has barriers that they like to ride on and jump off of. They have damaged many scooters and just abandoned them when damaged or the battery is dead.

The management company complained about the abandoned scooters and the damage to the property they were causing. No response. So now the scooters are just tossed in the dumpster.

R_P_K_ and Slackinoff like this.
  15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Scooter trash...

Slackinoff, NAZG26 and 6Actual like this.
  16. Adjuster

Adjuster

Harry Potter? I guess there is a resemblance.

Daniel Radcliffe Harry Potter

[​IMG]

Elijah Wood Sin City

upload_2019-7-26_14-19-12.jpeg

/

Willard and Slackinoff like this.
  17. fastbolt

fastbolt

I think he meant the scooters are popular for a Hobbit (or maybe a lazy Spider-Man). ;)

18. napp32

napp32

Yep, even with a wife-beater shirt and full sleeve tats,it would be hard to pull it off. :motorcycle:

R_P_K_ and PBCounty like this.
  19. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

20. Tvov

Tvov

When did this all start?? It has probably been two years since I've been in a big city... I don't remember seeing those in NYC?