Scleral Contact Lenses for Shooting

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mildot, Aug 28, 2018.

1. mildot

mildot

So at 50+ my eye sight is waning, I have an astigmatism, I have a hard time focusing on the front sight and getting a clear front post, also if I'm shooting a rifle, the front post is a blur, also I suffer from the "halo" effect or "tail" on the red dot when using a RDS. I'm just wondering if there is any members who have a scleral contact lens, that corrected for the same type of condition, and how did it work? or what were the improvements?. If you are comfortable with it? could you share the cost? and any other issues? Thanks

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    FullClip likes this.
  2. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

Thanks for posting. Been trying to work around this myself. I’m interested in learning something here.

3. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Had to Google what a "scleral" lens is...but does sound interesting if yer able to poke stuff in your eye. I tried hard and soft lenses...but never could get over the feeling I had something in my eye...

NWPA likes this.
  4. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Aren't those the big ones that cover most of your eye? Wondering if I'm not too old to bother with Lasik.

FullClip likes this.
  5. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

Mine tended to fold in half. That drove me back to glasses.

FullClip likes this.
  6. OXMYX

OXMYX

I highly recommend Lasik.

MO Fugga likes this.
  7. mildot

mildot

Lasik isn't an option at this point.

8. OXMYX

OXMYX

Dr.'s perform Lasik on 80 year olds unless something else precludes you from doing that.

Grayson likes this.
  9. Out West

Out West Just lack finishing up

Too bad this post petered out. I'd like to know more about these lenses.

I'm not a candidate for Lasik and, due to RK in the past, conventional soft lenses don't work for me.

From what I read on the internet, these lenses are more expensive and are custom made for each person. Probably means there is no trial wearing of the lens.

I'd like to hear from others who are using these lenses.

10. mildot

mildot

I'm heading to the eye doc tomorrow get all the details, if it's a "go" I'll keep this thread up to date as best I can. Cheers

Out West and MO Fugga like this.
  11. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

If they help you that's great, but they still don't protect your eyes, so you still need to wear glasses to protect your eyes.

12. mildot

mildot

So the visit to the doctors was positive, I'm a good candidate for these. I will have a trial fitting 2 weeks from now, as they already had a "topo" map of my cornea. Wish me luck.

I should add that, these lens are for folks like me with serval eye conditions, especially for folks with keratoconus, who are near sighted and have an astigmatism. YMMV.

FullClip likes this.
  13. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

from another thread

a very successful GSSF shooter ( Mr. Carver)
    years ago showed me his.
    the eye used for sights showed the sights clearly as possible.
    the other lens showed the target.

My eye Dr. also shoots and understood.
    he had me hold the pistol in shooting position and measured the exact distance to the sights.
    and tried several lenses until it looked right.

actually to keep from freaking anyone in the office out I just brought the slide.

clear it with the Doc first.

FullClip likes this.
  14. mildot

mildot

Morning troops, so I thought that I would "update" this thread. Last week I was fitted for both lens, that took about 1.5hrs, so without getting too technical, the lens must sit on your cornea with about 1.5 microns of saline for continuous wear throughout the day, so that the lens itself doesn't rest on the cornea hence the "fitting" so that you get the right size, while I haven't received the lenses, the doc did show me what my vision would be like, pretty amazing, no astigmatism at all, and I was able to read the very last and smallest line on the chart. Once I "demo" the lens shooting, I'll follow up again. Stay safe.

I might also add that, I asked the doc if there was a chance these might not work? he commented that he was 95% sure that these will solve my eye issues.

Cost will be in the $1200 range, due to the fitting and manufacture.

Just re-reading the posts, there is a "trial period" of about a week of wearing the lenses, with a 90 day period to work out any details.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Out West likes this.
  15. Out West

Out West Just lack finishing up

Good information ∆∆∆∆

Went to my Dr. last week. He has all the equipment in his office, but is waiting on some additional training before dispensing. Should be late October.

These lenses should be the solution for my eyes. Doc said they are perfect for eyes that have been through previous surgery. Big market for post RK and LASIK folks. Per the Doc, accurate measurements are critical for a good fitment.

They are expensive. Fortunately my insurance will cover.

Very excited. Mildot, please share your experience after the lenses get in.

16. mildot

mildot

Thanks, I suppose a "readers digest" version of the science is in order. I have keratoconus and an astigmatism in one eye, so the surface or shape of my cornea is "pointed" and not dome shaped, with an irregular surface. The saline behind the contact lens, fills in these voids, and therefore gives the lens a perfect surface to work with. Since the lens is on top of the cornea, issues like astigmatism can be corrected, unlike when wearing glasses, since the lens is so far away from the cornea. I will have to wear "cheaters" for close up reading, but that's pretty normal for someone my age. While the science is simple it's quite amazing to me and I'm excited about finally getting back to normal vision.

17. mildot

mildot

Hey troops, time for a bit of an update. So I"m on my 3rd fitting, yes these do require the lense to fit precisely on your cornea or you could have damage over the long term.

In my case, the lense on my left eye with the astigmatism seems to be the "red herring" so the lense rotates? for some reason, however my doc assured me that it can be fixed.

Overall progress is good although a bit slow, but it seems worth it to get it right.

More to follow

18. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Question for clarification (no pun), and not meaning to challenge or correct (again, no pun):

Even if the red dot is a comet, can't you just place the fuzzy ball of the comet on the target and get good results in shooting?

19. mildot

mildot

Question for clarification (no pun), and not meaning to challenge or correct (again, no pun):

Even if the red dot is a comet, can't you just place the fuzzy ball of the comet on the target and get good results in shooting?

Good question, so for me the the "dot" is sometimes a "blob" or a dot with a tail, for the type of shooting I do it's hard to get the "dot" and not the tail on the target. I zero an Aimpoint @ 100 using a 2 MOA dot on a 4" target.

So ya the "dot" almost covers the target. I tried to adjust the "intensity" if the dot to "sharpen" it, but it's "hit & miss"

20. mildot

mildot

So a bit of a "sitrep/update" & so far so good, the fit is fine, however the lab and my optometrist have had a difference of opinion. That said, I'm on the 6th lenses for my left eye that has the astigmatism. I've been assured that they can correct the astigmatism 100%. Shooting pistols with the contacts in and some "cheaters" make the front sight visible and my groups have improved significantly. More to follow.

Out West and Atomic Punk like this.