Sciatica?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JBCIII, Feb 10, 2013.

1. JBCIII

JBCIII

Searching other threads, seems like many had this due to sitting for work, duty belts, or "George Costanza" wallets...

I don't even know for sure that is what this is, but internet searching symptoms (always a healthy idea:upeyes:) hits this as a result often.

Years back, i had an MRI for lower back pain. Dr said I had degenerative arthritis in lower lumbar vertebrae. PT gave me a bunch of exercises to do, and I did them for a while.. then life seemed to get in the way. Back has hurt for years, off and on, and the top outer area of my left upper leg has been mildly numb (like waking from asleep) for years.

Recently I noticed that my toes were numb at the end of the workday, and from time to time walking moderate distances tired out my legs more than normal. Back has hurt more lately too; working around the house I have to rest after a half hour or so, since it feels like it is cramped or curved forward. I sometimes wake up in pain, as well.

I could for sure stand to lose weight and exercise/stretch more... bed is a pretty good one, albeit going on 8 yrs. I know the best advice is see a Dr again, but I wanted to tap our brain trust to see if anyone else had any thoughts/ideas/experience.

2. JFrame

JFrame

3. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Look at a Roman Chair... I have a terrible lower back if I let it get bad, and the deep stretching and targeted muscle toning that my Roman Chair gives me keeps me going.

I do maybe 20/30 extensions a day...some in the morning, some before bed, and I'm good to go.

4. JBCIII

JBCIII

Some of it is coming back to me now - I remember some of those from the PT. I wish I still had the paperwork they gave me, since one thing I do recall was how good the stretching felt. It was like when you get your back 'cracked' by someone else; that relaxed loosened feeling.

Dan - Roman Chair, interesting. I always kinda wanted one of those gravity tables, see above why. Are these anything like them too?

5. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I dodn't check out JFrame's links, but have a feeling they are pretty much what I did.....errrr...DO after my chiroprator said my problem was not with my back...but with my belly. Had frequent really bad back pain where I thought my spine would pop out through the skin just above my butt like a scene from "Alien". No bone issues, just some very under used muscles screaming in agony when they woke up and were not ready for a little work.

For sure, see somebody you trust, and at least for me, that was a chiropractor that was a friend of the family. He wasn't gonna' keep me coming back for a thousand years for "adjustments" but gave me, what I think, is the straght scoop.

Hope you're better soon, but don't expect instant results from long term abuse / neglect.

6. Slug71

Slug71

I have a pinched Sciatica at the moment. Or at least thats what I think it is. Freakin sucks!!

7. JFrame

JFrame

Yup -- that's it exactly! [​IMG]

I tried all of the exercises in the video, but basically stuck with the one that I felt most directly impacted and eased the body part(s) in question.

I'm sure the exercises, taken together, have a holistic effect on your body -- but if you're stretched (no pun intended) for time, you might want to try a couple of basic looseners, and then stick with the ones that you feel give you the most immediate results. Provided they're done correctly, I figure some exercises/stretches are better than none.

8. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Sorry you back is ailing.

Consider the text in bold. If life gets in the way of exercise/fitness/mobility, soon, lack of mobility will get in the way of life. Old folks homes are generally not filled with diseased/ill people. They are filled with otherwise healthy people who are so severely limited in their mobility they cannot take care of themselves.

MF

9. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

I've had sciatica, it got better. The pain is in the lower back, down through one or the other side of the buttock and goes down the back of the thigh and also pain in the area just above the knee and sometimes down on to the front of the lower leg.
    Your doctor says you have degenerative disc disease in the lumbar area. A test for sciatica is to have someone raise your affected leg from 30 to 70 degrees while you are lying down. If this causes pain, this is indicative of a herniated lumbar disc or compression of spinal nerves, It is called the Lasegues sign, named after the French doctor who noted the signs/symptoms back in the 1850's. Often if it is inflamation, the inflamation can subside and the pain goes away. If the disc is bulged/collapsed then it may need surgery. There is strong evidence that manipulation (chiropracty) often helps. Sciatica is not a disease process, but a symptom of an underlying problem that needs a good diagnosis.
    Do a web search of www.ncbi.nim.nih.gov or www.webmd.com/.../sciatica-symptoms

good luck, I live with chronic pain from past broken pelvis and the chemo I have to take for leukemia and it sucks.

10. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

:wow: Honestly, I've never thought about things in that light. When I visit Mama' Bear in her "home", (she moved there after taking a 2nd fall and breaking her hip again) it is true. Most of the old folks there are still sharp as tacks and not feeble. They just can't get around to deal with the daily tasks of life.

Yeah...I'll not be competing in the Ironman Triatholon in the near (or very distant) future, but being mobile is the key to staying in your own house as long as possible. Just a few days being laid up by back pain made me realise how debilitaing this could be. Taking 1/2 hour to make it from bed to bathroom and not being able to lift your leg over the side of the bath tub.....and that's the easy stuff....

Thanks for re-wording the obvious Goldendog. I'd never put the facts together although I see it frequently. You gave me a new outlook on things.

11. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

My mother who is 70 years old always says thing like "Just watching that make my knees hurt" or "I can't squat because it hurts my knees" I try to tell her that she should be squatting full range of motion, every day because it will be beneficial to her knees.

Most people can't wrap their head around that.

After all, if a vehicle sits for years, never moving you damn near have to rebuild the thing before you would consider it driving it down the block.

Taking a walk around the block and doing a few squats everyday could literally mean the difference between life or death-"I've fallen and I can't get up" kind of thing.

Stay healthy, keep moving

:wavey:

12. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

What you are describing sounds an awful lot like discs bulging and putting pressure on the nerves. I will admit I am not a doctor but I have had two diskectomy surguries and a cage put in around my vertebrea, so I do have a little experience with it.

13. JBCIII

JBCIII

Thanks for all the replies and advice, sorry I didn't reply sooner...I was busy streching and losing weight (stick to the story).
    I found another stretch I like: sit on the edge of the bed and reach down between my knees like I am going under the bed. I can feel my back 'crack' and it seems much looser when it does. Some of the other ones are coming back too, from the PT lessons years back.
    Just gotta keep regular with them, and if this perists, I'll set an appointment with the Dr. I am worried it might be disks, but probably better to know than deny.

14. Lady Glock

Lady Glock

I was diagnosed with sciatica a year ago last July. After 4 shots, 3 different kinds...1 cortosone shot, 1 epidural shot, and 2 facet injections...the doctor finally decided that since the L5 disc collapsed sometime during that year and a half of hurting, surgery to remove the L5, replace it with a spacer and fuse the spine with rods and screws was the best course of action. Surgery November 14th...went to work at a desk job 2 weeks later, job lasted 2 weeks (it was a temp job). Things were feeling pretty good while I was working, as long as I remembered my meds and wore my brace. As soon as the job ended, it went downhill fast. I'm in therapy now, praying it helps me get back on my feet...I'm back on the cane, using a brace sometimes and a biomed sometimes.

I'll say a prayer that your treatment is effective. Good luck!

15. JFrame

JFrame

...Very sorry to hear about your set-back also! I pray for your complete recovery as well.

16. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

I use to train in powerlifting for a number of years. Several years in I started getting a nagging problem in my glute lower back. X-rays,chiros didn't help nor show problems. One day I came across another powerlifter talking about piriformis syndrome.

I started researching and doing the stretching excersises for hips,hamstrings and glutes. The difference was immediate. I don't know if it will help arthritis cases but it helped me. Stretching is very important.

17. X-ray 4N6

X-ray 4N6

I also had that piriformis syndrome and the only way to sort it is to stretch every day, at least 30 minutes.

18. 4Rules

4Rules

Chiropractic treatment can help.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAkvKLddcxI"]Chiropractic Adjustment with Dr. Jen no music - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TkiDNqYuKg"]Chiropractor Costa Mesa Chiropractor | Chiropractic Adjustment - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GNqHugMzAU"]Extreme Sciatic Pain- Gonstead Chiropractic case - YouTube[/ame]