Schooled at the Range Today!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by garyjandfamily, Apr 5, 2012.

1. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

Today I took a long lunch and drove out to an informal shooting range on the other side of the valley. I go out there when I want to work "hot" out of the holster, it's much easier there than at the county range...

I'd been there a while when a couple of cars pulled up. Grandpa and Grandma, Mom and Dad, two teen-age girls. They proceeded to set up to shoot some .22 rifle. Grandpa came up beside me (when I stopped to reload) and asked what I was shooting. Quiet, friendly farmer-type guy. I showed him my S&W M&P .40 with the newly installed apex dcaek. I let him take a couple of shots with it. He shot it OK, nothing special, and complimented my on the gun.

He said that he had brought a pistol along as well. He went back to his truck and brought back a Colt .45 Gold Cup. Said that it was a model 70 that he bought new in 1970,and that he'd just replaced all the springs. Loaded it up and let me take a couple of shots.

I'm not a super shot, but I'm working on getting better. We were shooting at a Front Sight target at 20 paces. The Front Sight target has a torso and four 1-inch black squares around it. I lined up on the left lower square and proceeded to draw a 6" diameter group around the square. (great trigger by the way!) That's not bad for me. I handed him the gun, he said that he didn't have his glasses, but he'd shoot at the lower right 1-inch square. He proceeded to center-punch it, then four more shots, all inside the 1-inch square black! None of those .45" diameter holes left the black!!:wow:

I need more practice!!:crying::crying:

2. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Don't worry Gary. It will come.tom.:fred:

3. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

This thread is a perfect example of why you dont piss off old guys!

4. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

That should be a Series 70 but anyway,
    Good that your getting range time with the pistol but some expert instruction might help reach learning plateau and skills.

EDIT: I didn't mean for this to sound like an A**hole comment. I am an instructor and have certificates that say I'm expert in rifle, pistol and shotgun...it wasn't until I met a really good rifle shooter (varmint hunter) and started shooting a lot with him. After a few months I improved to where was impressed with my newly acquired skills and techniques. There is always someone better out there and there is always room to learn and improve yourself/myself.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  5. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Series 70 Gold Cup; they don't come much better than that. I used to shoot one in my Bullseye days; most accurate gun I own.

WP

6. Scott3670

Scott3670

Similar experience here. I was at the range a couple of weeks ago when a serious competition shooter showed up. I waas shooting at 8 yards and he was shooting at 10 yards. Needless to say I got a serious education on the value of practice. He utterly whooped my backside - but was polite about it and shared some tips. That's what it's all about.

7. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Modesty and Courtesy never go out of fashion. I'm working my way towards being an old timer, but I've got a few years to go to 50.

Respect all, but especially your elders....

8. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Ex FIL is legally blind in what used to be his dominant eye and needs glasses for the other and he would shoot double taps at spinners and hit the back side with the second shot regularly.

Yep, with a 1911.

9. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Great range story. I'm glad Grandpa was bringing his g-kids along too.

10. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

What's that they say about "beware the man who carrys only one gun..."

11. 1911ES

1911ES

Colts, like many other things ...... were great in the 70's.... even though I was still in school .... :whistling:

12. okie

okie GT Mayor

You bought a 1911 yet my friend:dunno::supergrin:

13. okie

okie GT Mayor

That's what they say:supergrin:

14. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

My father (66 yo) can shoot a revolver double action better than he can shoot any of my "modern" (glock) pistols. Give him a 1911, and even better. Just don't call him "old" !!!!!!:rofl:

15. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

I guess it comes with age!:rofl:

16. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

I am the youngest of my small circle of shooting friends. There was a time I was not even close to their level of shooting. They have a habit of collecting a lot of guns and not shooting a lot. I have a small collection right now due to budget, but all of my stuff is hard earned and quality. I dont buy junk. I buy it and I shoot it.

Now when we go to the raneg together they dont practice, and I do and I routinely embarass them. Keep pluggin away. You will get it.

That man bought the gun new in '70 and has replaced the springs and such. That means he knew they needed replaced because he has shot it....a lot. Thats why he shot mediocre with your gun and cleaned your clock with his.

Beware the man with one gun he may know how to use it.

17. Mochahooligan

Mochahooligan

I totally agree if you can find one at a reasonable price try to consider it. I love mine best Christmas present I ever got!

18. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Ignoring Connecticut's Unconstitutional laws
    About 10 years ago I was shooting skeet a couple times a week, and I was "pretty good" usually 20-22 hits per round.

I went with a buddy to his range on a Tuesday night, and a young girl, maybe 12 asked if she could jump in with us. We shot 6 rounds that night and didn't see her miss a clay, and at least one shot per round would break 2 clays (on doubles) with one shotso she'd hit all 25 with 24 rounds and the last shot she'd try to double up the last 2 houses with one shot-and hit it about 50% of the time.

It was a humbling experience. Us missing with 12g and her blasting away everything near her with a .410....she even taught us a couple "tips" that helped us shoot better

19. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

QFT!! No kidding!

20. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

I LOVE my Gold Cup National Match!!!!!

That is one pistol that will NEVER be sold. Never.

I'm thinkin' about havin' my beloved GC buried w/ me, along with some full magazines. . . just in case I run into trouble when I get to where I'm going.
    (I already expect it to be hot.) :steamed: I'm taking lots of water, too!:supergrin: