close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

School Wants My Daughter to Disect Real Cat

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Trew2Life, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Trew2Life

Trew2Life #intheflesh

She said, 'No' and I don't blame her. She's 16 years old in H.S. and a Honor Roll student. She has no problem watching the other kids do it but refuses to do it herself.

Now I've gutted many a dead animal in my day and not just for school grades so I really don't have a problem with it, but she's my baby girl and I don't blame her for not wanting to gut a dead cat.

According to the ASPCA the school is supposed to offer an alternative. If they don't, I'm ready to go to bat for her.

2. Ruggles

Ruggles

I agree with you. My daughter LOVES her cats and would not want to do that. I am with you :)

3. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

I remember disecting a baby pig in high school. Not one of my fondest memories.

4. *ASH*

*ASH* david is a post whore. in hell all loves popcorn

possum and a mini shovel ???

5. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

We did a frog and that was it. I think another school in our district did pig fetuses.

6. Trew2Life

Trew2Life #intheflesh

What makes it even a little stranger is she's the only one in the class who objects. 20 kids. 9 girls/11 boys. I don't want her to be a wuss, but not everyone it cut out to be a butcher. I understand her.

7. Ruggles

Ruggles

Maybe she is just the first, other might follow suit.

Some knucklehead will be along shortly to tell you that you should make her do it :rofl:

8. TK-421

TK-421

She's not a wuss, I'm a 22 year old male and I'd refuse to dissect a cat. But I'd also refuse to dissect anything. When I was in school, we had the option of either dissecting a frog or writing a paper about some topic that I can't remember. I didn't feel like writing a paper, so I let my partner do all the cutting. :rofl:

But fortunately all I had to do was a worm and a frog. Some classes had to do a shark, some did a pig, and the honors class had to do cats. If I was in the honors class, I would've flat out refused to do a cat, or even be in the room while they were dissecting them.

Your daughter isn't a wuss for not wanting to dissect a cat, it's not for everybody. I'm one of those people who isn't afraid to say I would do the same thing she did, but I'd also take it a step further and not be in the room while they're being dissected.

9. randrew379

randrew379

No, but this knucklehead wonders why she signed up for the class.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

The purpose of dissecting a cat in high school biology eludes me.

11. JW1178

JW1178

I've never understood what is to be learned from diceting animals unless you are studying to be a vetanaerian surgon.

12. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

It's pretty gross when you can't keep telling yourself how good it's going to taste afterwards. Plus it's a friggin cat so I understand the issue with it. ASPCA was good for something after all.

13. LL6

LL6

Jr year HS Bio class we dissected cats. I thought it was much more interesting than frogs. Freshman year at the U it was fetal pigs. Cats were still more interesting.

14. Ruggles

Ruggles

I am sure because she is pretty darn smart and wants that class on her transcripts. If she is headed towards a medical degree then yeah she needs to go ahead and cut the kitty up. If she is not headed towards a medical degree but wants the class on her transcript then she should be able to pass on the kitty cutting.

15. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

IMO, if its biology, she aught to fail that part of the subject, and move on.

Don't force anyone, if they don't want to do it, take the fail and drive on. Not really a big deal.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  16. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Life ain't always a bowl of Cheerios. Cut the cat already. Jeez.

17. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

Good lord. We really have become a nation of spineless wussies. We deserve what we get. Try to imagine a member of the generation that had the toughness to fight WWII getting all squeemish over a dead cat. We've lost what it means to be mentally tough. Heck, just 30 years ago we disected a frog, pig and cat and no one, including the girls, recoiled in horror. Learned a lot more about the cardio-vascular system than from colorful pretty little pictures in a text book.

18. frank4570

frank4570

I kill and butcher a lot of animals. If it was my daughter, I would have the same point of view as you do. If she has to fail this one thing, so be it. You standing behind her in spite of the consequences will stay with her the rest of her life. Worth it's weight in gold.

19. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

If the class is required, they should come up with some sort of alternative. I bet there's some kind of computer simulation, or even an actual simulated cat that would work.

If the class is optional, they should make the dissection known before students sign up for it.

I don't get the objection, though. In high school A&P we did worms, clams, cats, and something else. I enjoyed it. Not because I'm a creep, but because it amazes me to see how things work...including living things.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  20. danyo

danyo

I also agree. I had no problems cutting up frogs but I couldn't do it to a cat :/