close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

School this old-schooler on home networks

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dennis in MA, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

So my kids got a new laptop. And it don't see my "networked" printer, nor my wife's. Nor our networked drives. As hard as I try on their machine (Win-7), I can't see a blasted thing.

Now, this is a network I set up as a WORKGROUP about 10 years ago. Both the other machines (which were purchased about 5 years ago, but still have the same WORKGROUP setttings as the old machines) have XP on them.

What do I do to get the older machines de-workgrouped so they are visible to the new machine? Or is this even possible?

The network is a combo of wired and wireless. It's non-secured right now b/c the router is in the basement and you can't even get signal in the driveway. . . which is pretty far from the street and other homes in the neighborhood. So don't sweat the security stuff at this point.

Thanks GT Knowledgebase. I'm so dinosauric. I can do a ton with 10-15 yr old equipment and software. Gimme a dip switch - PLEASE! LOL

2. Dennis in MA

Toppers for all you smart night-time GT readers. ;)

3. G30Jack

G30Jack .88 Magnum

Make sure the new PC has the same workgroup. Also make sure it is on the same IP address range.

4. vote Republican

vote Republican White and nerdy Moderator

make sure you can ping one machine from the other, which will help verify the point Jack made above

google some guides on connecting win 7 to an XP machine

5. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Turn off Windows firewall for a bit.

Make sure the new computer is running IPv4, not IPv6

Check all computers to make sure that both IP addresses are in the same range, and that they all have the same sub-net mask, and ideally, the same router specified.

Make sure each computer can ping itself, then the other computers.

'Drew

6. Dennis in MA

Amazingly, when I turned on the laptop last night at home - it SAW ALL!

Fleepin Win 7. I did some online searching afterwards - seems to be a problem with it. It decides where and when it wants to see your network machines. Grrrr.

7. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

I have had problems with Win 7 sometimes like you. Once I have network entered it always finds it. But if I'm looking for a new one sometimes it finds it and sometimes not. I did find a backwards way to find them all the time but I can't really explain it well.